• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos17

Huh live feed tweeted that US embassy heard some firing... who is th eillumati who dared go against army ? >.>...

@ABC

JUST IN: U.S. Embassy Ankara confirms "shots have been heard in Ankara & both bridges in #Istanbul closed.” #Turkey pic.twitter.com/s6TumkPDbG

kharma45

Could you explain why you have such a strong opinion about this? Nazi party got good chunk of the vote, which let them take over the government. I'm referring to a good chunk of the vote as an example of democracy. In many countries party with 29% of the vote gets to form the government. Why argue about such a non-issue?

If you're comparing to the UK that's because it's a totally different voting system. The nazis never won a majority, they could only govern in coalition. They took over the government because the other members of the Reichstag passed legalisation to allow them to do so.

If you're trying to paint me and that other fella as some sort of nazi affiionados by having 'strong opinions' then do one. Actually knowing history and getting irritated when you post nonsense about it is not having strong opinions, it's talking sense and correcting someone talking bollocks.

Jackpot

Banned
Yes, everything is all fine and wonderful.

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

Yes, that's exactly what he was saying... *rolleyes*

Turkish government TV TRT is repeating the statement from the military. Clearly secular in nature.

Yeah just doing their constitutional duty I guess, that demands they protect Turkeys secular state, seems fair enough. Fingers crossed for minimal bloodshed if any, would rather avoid violence in all these things.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes, everything is all fine and wonderful.

Just because you're not saying "omg the world is ending" doesn't mean you think everything is fine and wonderful. Article from 20 years ago that remains apt:

We who are here now make up about 6.8 percent of all people who have appeared to date. This is not a meaningful figure. These times are, one might say, ordinary times, a slice of life like any other. Who can bear to hear this, or who will consider it? Are we not especially significant because our century is -- our century and its nuclear bombs, its unique and unprecedented Holocaust, its serial exterminations and refugee populations, our century and its warming, its silicon chips, men on the moon, and spliced genes? No, we are not and it is not.
Is it not late? A late time to be living? Are not our current generations the important ones? We have changed the world. Are not our heightened times the important ones, the ones since Hiroshima? Perhaps we are the last generation -- there is a comfort. Take the bomb threat away and what are we? We are ordinary beads on a never-ending string. Our time is a routine twist of an improbable yarn.
Dire things are happening. Plague? Funny weather? Why are we watching the news, reading the news, keeping up with the news? Only to enforce our fancy -- probably a necessary lie -- that these are crucial times, and we are in on them. Newly revealed, and I am in the know: crazy people, bunches of them! New diseases, sways in power, floods! Can the news from dynastic Egypt have been any different?

Kraftwerk

guarded by US soldiers and operated by US soldiers, who would die rather than have any other army get their hands on them

I wonder if there are very extreme end of the world protocols in place to blow it up if everything else fails and they are about to be captured

MUnited83

For you.
He should not have been overthrown either. There is a process. When you throw that away what's the point of democracy?
The possibility of coups is in the constitucional. It is a part of democracy, and its meant to protect it.

There waa NOTHING democratic about Erdogan at all. He has been a affront to the very concept of democracy, taking freedom after freedom.
Uundemocratic leaders should absolutely be overthrown

Kathian

Banned
Judging by what NBC is saying, it sounds like US intelligence genuinely has no fucking idea what's going on.

People always act surprised at this but the US position is status quo. It never sees these things coming but will effectively absorb them into the status quo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The US secretary of state John Kerry says he hopes there will be peace, stability and unity within Turkey amid reports that a military coup is underway.

thanks

That's a very interesting statement. I guess NATO is already informed by now about who's driving this. And seems not to be something that needs to be condemned as an attack on democracy.

So probably Erdogan is done.

Jeels

Coup is from secularists. Guaranteeing rights of all religions and nationalities. Will put a new constitution in place. Martial law declared.

Man, was putting that clause in the constitution one of the greatest examples of foresight in history?

And to think it came out of the Ottoman Empire.

boiled goose

good with gravy
He wasn't a dictator. He kept winning elections.

Once more:

[You are too naive to understand how "democracy" actually works in other countries. "elected" dictators dissolve branches of government, buy elections, persecute the press, imprison critics, bribe judges and the military, etc.

The best you can hope for is individuals in the military not succumbing to bribes and power and siding with the people. ]

Winning elections alone is not a sign of a proper democracy or not being a dictator... see almost every dictatorship in history.

Croyles

You do not need a majority to become a democratically elected ruler. It all depends on the specific flavor of democracy and its rules. Technically(!), the NSDAP's rise to power was largely consistent with the democratic process, even up to the removal of the democratic system itself. Because of that, Germany's current constitution contains safety guards to prevent such things that the Weimar Republic did not have.

"Democratically elected" can have very different meanings in different contexts.

Yep.

Shiggy

Could you explain why you have such a strong opinion about this? Nazi party got good chunk of the vote, which let them take over the government. I'm referring to a good chunk of the vote as an example of democracy. In many countries party with 29% of the vote gets to form the government. Why argue about such a non-issue?

Check your history books. It's not about opinions, it's about historical facts.

I would be okay if Turkey removes some points from the Ottoman pool and respecs into Atatürk.

Not a fan of the violence and instability on the way there - hope you'll weather the storm safely, TurkeyGAF.

It seems like a lot of people on neogaf are so quick to dismiss democracy when it suits them.

Many would say the same about Erdogan.

Democracy is not black and white. If the Turkish Constitution relies on the military to keep the legislature in check via force, then isn't this just part of their democracy in action?

ironcreed

Banned
Just because you're not saying "omg the world is ending" doesn't mean you think everything is fine and wonderful. Article from 20 years ago that remains apt:

I never said the world was ending. I merely said that it's on edge with many fucked up things happening. Which is the truth.

Best we can hope for is a fast solution to this situation. Worst case scenario: civil war and Syria conflict spilling over to Turkey. I really hope that won't happen.

If you're comparing to the UK that's because it's a totally different voting system. The nazis never won a majority, they could only govern in coalition. They took over the government because the other members of the Reichstag passed legalisation to allow them to do so.

If you're trying to paint me and that other fella as some sort of nazi affiionados by having 'strong opinions' then do one. Actually knowing history and getting irritated when you post nonsense about it is not having strong opinions, it's talking sense and correcting someone talking bollocks.

UK or many more countries where parliament forms the government. Anyway I didn't mean to offend you. I sort of know history and I always though that this example was pretty funny, but now I know that people can take it very literally :)

Check your history books. It's not about opinions, it's about historical facts.
Sorry didn't meant to stir some sort of controversy. See above.

Melon Husk

He wasn't a dictator. He kept winning elections.
Compulsory religious culture education was slipped into the 1982 constitution. Guess what happened 12 years later? An Islamist RP party was founded. The military intervened in 1998 (you could call it a coup) and banned RP and the islamist PM Erbakan.

Erdogan has been building AKP to repeat the attempt since 2001. He won by using religion as a tool to grow his power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom