• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

norinrad

Bye bye Erdogan. You overstayed your welcome.

Military coups are obviously problematic but Erdogan was a danger to long term Turkish democracy.

Now of course the big question is whether this will be similar to the previous secular Turkish military coups.

Europe will Secretly welcome his removal. He got away with a lot. Blaming the Kurdish minority in his country, fighting with journalists, then throwing them in jail, corruption by allowing friends of friends to build supermarkets on land he purchased through the backdoor, threatening people outside of Turkey with Turkish heritage for not being pro Turkey,list is long.

Of course if his men are watching as I type, I apologize in advance and will take everything I said back.

He also owns a private jet lol

dakun

wouldn't be at all surprised if Erdogan's statement was full of venom practically telling his supporters to go out into the streets and fight for their "dear leader"

kharma45

UK or many more countries where parliament forms the government. Anyway I didn't mean to offend you. I sort of know history and I always though that this example was pretty funny, but now I know that people can take it very literally :)

And that's fine when it's FPTP, whereas in this case it's PR and they couldn't govern alone on their votes.

diaspora

It seems like a lot of people on neogaf are so quick to dismiss democracy when it suits them.

There's no such thing as a religious democratic rule, Erdogan is a great example of this- the military re-establishing secluarism is a restoration of Turkish democratic freedoms.

TRT television just read a statement from the military,

Cnby1wRW8AAKXxu.jpg

Thank god this is a secular coup. Hope this is not just a smoke screen for much darker intentions tho, you never know...

Oriel

What the flying... Not another country in the middle east going destabilizing like this.

If it's like previous coups then this will help stabilise Turkey. Erdogan was running the country into the ground, he had to go. I'm just surprised it took so long.

Cub3h

Banned
Wonderful news for the people of Turkey. A secular Turkey should and can be the beacon of hope for the entire region. Hopefully they succeed.

MMaRsu

Bye bye Erdogan. You overstayed your welcome.

Military coups are obviously problematic but Erdogan was a danger to long term Turkish democracy.

Now of course the big question is whether this will be similar to the previous secular Turkish military coups.

This is 100% true, I just hope whoever is elected has his eyes on a state without religious influences.

Wow, today will be a day for the history books.

I wonder how something like this gets enacted? I want to know what went on during the days leading up to this from the military.

I really hope this is to put a stop to Erdogan's practices that have become increasingly dictatorial, and that the military does in fact work towards the mentioned human rights and freedoms in the statement.

Now if this is a power grab by someone else, that'll be a damn shame.

Shiggy

UK or many more countries where parliament forms the government. Anyway I didn't mean to offend you. I sort of know history and I always though that this example was pretty funny, but now I know that people can take it very literally :)

Sorry didn't meant to stir some sort of controversy. See above.

It's not about taking something literally. It rather seems as if you don't really know how Hitler got into power. That's where people got a bit confused.

avaya

Literally dying from laughter at the thought that the Turks would even attempt to touch the US nukes. They aren't suicidal.

Hopefully this is a Kemalist coup, not one in name only. 2016 really is a post-factual world, so the military lying about the reasons wouldn't be a surprise.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
"Freedom is guaranteed to everyone no matter race, religion or language"

New statement from the military.

Generally speaking, statements like this are not necessarily of any value. Even the Egypt's new constitution under the rule of the Muslim Brotherhood sounded pretty good superficially.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It seems like a lot of people on neogaf are so quick to dismiss democracy when it suits them.

Democracy isn't a perfect system, and the system we live under isn't even a proper democracy.

Thinking democracy can do no wrong like you seem to do is to dismiss reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom