• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
Cnb53-SWgAAHnso.jpg

https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/754064835718119426

Nothing says control like playing Pokemon Go.

oti

Banned
Erdogan asking Germany is a dangerous situation. He has a lot of fans here. They won't be happy if Germany says no.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What is the process of amending the constitution in Turkey?

sangreal

It seems like a lot of people on neogaf are so quick to dismiss democracy when it suits them.

Erdogan's current office that he was elected to is a historically neutral ceremonial role akin to the Queen of England but he has consistently exceeded the bounds of that office to consolidate power and undermine democracy. I don't know what to think about this Coup yet, but I don't believe it is as black and white as you're making it out to be

if people wanna get into a discussion on democracy, fine

Democratically electing a government does not mean that they get a blank check do whatever they want to do, the judicial branch and the legislative branch are suppose to act as check-n-balance

Edrogan erroded to courts and did not respect democracy.

Did he win elections? yeah but that doesn't necessary l mean he was free to govern like a tyrant

the Army was the last bastion of checks-n-ballance. They had enough of him

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Would actually be a fairly good idea for Merkel to say yes, just to keep an eye on things.

qazqaNii

Sitting here in Turkey and reading GAF and watching tv. Really worrisome situation.

CHP and MHP giving support to AKP(ERDOGAN)

Erdogan is landing in Istanbul. Shit might happen.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The only thing that's surprising about this is how long it took.

A military coup was always a matter of when, not if.

Good riddance to Erdogan

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The idea that the military has a constitutional mandate to take over the government is fascinating. How hasn't it been abused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom