• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueliner

Banned
Indeed this is a crappy situation. Update for the new page in case someone missed it.

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 3m3 minutes ago

Update - #Turkey's PM says security forces will "retaliate in kind" and "everything necessary will be done even if that means fatalities"

Timeaisis

Wow. Stay safe, everyone.

This is a particularly hard call to make if the military is in the right here. On one hand, Turkey is a peaceful nation and the US's ally, but as OP points out:

Worth noting, the Turkish military has a constitutional clause where they are supposed to overthrow the government if the government poses a threat to secularity. This has happened before, with the backing of NATO. Every time so far, this has been a net positive, removing Islamists and installing democracy. However, this time it's unclear if the military is still driven by the secular remnants (Erdogan gutted them) or Erdogan's Islamist rival Fethullah Gulen. Will update as the situation develops.

Erdogan has been moving away from secularism in recent years and trying to consolidate power for himself. However, the army's motive remains extremely unclear. Could be just a thinly veiled excuse to seize power, or could be a noble goal to install a more secular democracy.

Crazy stuff is happening this year, people. Hope everyone over there is safe.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
No way that thing about Erdogan seeking assylum in Germany.

On the other hand... doesn't he have a good deal of supporters there?

The trend is that a majority of Turkish immigrants in Western Europe (like 60+%) support him.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I hope that all the calls to arms of the now-old government will be without effect.

This is a big thread and forgive me if this has been addressed but when I was growing up in the 70's I seem to remember Turkey having a coup or two, the military sees itself as the guardians of secularism. Is that correct?

Azzanadra

Wow.. If true... Seriously, just call for new elections and allow the current government govern for the next 6 months or so, but place some clauses so a coup like situation doesn't occur.

In my opinion, the military has no right regardless to take power. The military is the largest problem in the Muslim world where it abuses it power many times over for various reasons. :|

democracy.... The power and the will of the people over the rule of the military.

But in this case the military tries to maintain secularity... seems perfectly reasonable to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Add Erdogan to the list:

Assad%2Bmust%2Bgo%2BClowns.jpg
lol

Syncytia

Erdogan is requesting his followers to go to the streets and don't allow this coup to happen. There's gonna be hundreds of deaths today

What are they going to do at this point?

I feel like if I was Turkish and supported Erdogan seeing him using Facetime to get on TV would be the moment I would realize it's over and he's done.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
What happens to those US stored B61 nuclear bombs in Turkey at Incirlik?

nothing. They can't do anything with them without a lot of knowledge, they'd have to fight through the US forces, and on top of that, the Turkish military is probably more closely allied with the United States than the Turkish government.

nynt9

A certain grim irony in Erdogan who shut down free media and tried to shut down social media now having to make his statement via facetime.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Erdogan giving a statement via Facetime on TV. Now I've seen everything.

A certain grim irony in Erdogan who shut down free media and tried to shut down social media now having to make his statement via facetime.

Erdogan using Facetime to tell the people to "rise up".

don't the RAF and German forces have troops there too? not three countries you'd want to piss off like that

Turkey? No. Britain has bases in the Greek half of Cyprus, but nothing in the North of the island, nor in Turkey itself.

Germany doesn't have any overseas bases, peace keepers etc aside.

There's a sweet irony about Ergodan spending months arguing with the EU about a refugee deal, and now hopping on a flight to Germany with his tail between his legs seeing asylum.

Also the Facetime image of him has true long term meme potential.

Kusagari

If Turkey enters a prolonged civil war couldn't we see Turkish citizens try to leave the country en masse and cause the refugee citizen in Europe to explode?

True/False?

Jacob Goldstein @GoldsteinStreet

Military members staging coup in #Turkey are thought to be followers of U.S.-based imam Fethullah Gulen, says justice minister

Rafy

A friend of mine who is a tinfoil nutso is haply because "Greece will take over Constantinople" again. I don't have enough energy to smack him.

I wish... It will almost certainly never happen.

Some distant relatives of ours left during the population exchange and the stories we heard as kids were fascinating though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom