• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol @ Erdogan encouraging his followers to fight on the streets. I mean putting aside what a stupid request that is, especially for a world leader, does anyone actually like him enough to die on his behalf?

I'm sure some crazy Islamists would be more than willing to die for him, sadly.

qazqaNii

Speakimg with people here, the consensus is that the coup will fail. Chp, mhp giving support to akp.

People have experience about the outcomes of previous coups being bad.

Video of mhp supporters on the streets protesting next to military tanks.

Fuck.
Coup is never good for turkey, the people know this.

MMaRsu

History has already noted down the group whose flag is your avatar as war criminals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_situation_during_the_war_in_Donbass#War_crimes

They're also pro-Hitler.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/10/azov-far-right-fighters-ukraine-neo-nazis

It's the equivalent of having this as your avatar.
swastika-flag_640x374_320x187.jpg

Yo.. wtf Yamauchi?

commedieu

Banned
Yes, this is what it seems like to me as well.

Anytime military coup removes someone not in their ranks as leader of a country it comes off as EXTREMELY undemocratic. =\

It has been shocking to me really, thats why I stopped discussing politics with anyone, not just the internet.

Folks,

He was trying to dismantle democracy and stay in power. Please educate yourself about this before judging things.

Sölf

Srsly, you can't even watch a TV show because some is doing a Coup somewhere. But honestly, Erdogan is delusional, I really hope nothing REALLY bad happens now.

Erdogan seeking asylum? How much of that is true?

If he truly asked the Turks to stand up against the coup and they are going to listen we might witness something horrendous.

Lol @ Erdogan encouraging his followers to fight on the streets. I mean putting aside what a stupid request that is, especially for a world leader, does anyone actually like him enough to die on his behalf?
Let's hope not. But he has supporters of course. It was a dangerous and stupid thing to call for. I hope everyone ignores it.

Erdogan seeking asylum? How much of that is true?

If he truly asked the Turks to stand up against the coup and they are going to listen we might witness something horrendous.
Apparently he is on an airplane. He can't really land in Turkey at the moment I think, so he needs to go somewhere.

barit

Wtf Erdogan wants people to go out on street to put down a marker. This fucking prick is on vacation and safe but everyone else should fight now for him and put their lives in danger. One of the most disgusting person on planet ffs

RangerX

Banned
People are way too quick in cheering this coup. Erdogan is horrible but I doubt the military are going to be completely benevolent. Turkey is a volatile and divided country. This will be very rough for all involved.

Regginator

People who are endorsing this smh. He was DEMOCRATICALLY elected.

It's fucking insane what GAF is doing right now. Laughing off an illegal coup just because their views don't line up with Erdogan's? He was chosen for fuck sake, not everyone of us agrees with it, but apparently the (majority of the) people of Turkey do, and that's more than enough. This can and probably will have massive consequences, but it seems GAF really just want Erdogan out without thinking about everything else.

Kathian

Banned
Should be noted Erdogan has supporters he's been providing arms to in Syria. He also has supporters across Europe. No coup is clean but his recent power struggle has brought nothing but death anyway.

so what you are against democracy?

Well there are some scenarios where democracy simply won't work with everyone.

Another (just as exaggerated) example:

1. The "NASA" of a country has confirmed proof that an asteroid is approaching and will essentially destroy their entire country based on it's current trajectory.
2. Many are steadfastly denying the country's "NASA" and pro-science political groups that have actual evidence that yes, it's coming and yes, we need to move.
3. Country calls a referendum on this subject - whether to stay or go.
4. 51 - 49, the country votes to stay.
5. Obviously, they all get wiped out in the end.

Democracy only works if each individual is educated enough to know what's at stake when they vote and they aren't swimming in paranoia and fear stoked via propaganda when making this vote. They have pure, solid facts - actual facts - which they use to determine their vote.

This will not happen in our lifetime, but I believe the basis of a healthy democratic country is education for everyone and a government that is serious about maintaining positive mental health of your population. Smart voting will lead to the success of a country imo. Otherwise, you'll continue to get plenty of Brexit's/Bush's/Gomers/Edrogan events happening in the world.

Fritz

I kinda do hope we'd grand him asylum. At least for now till the situation stabilizes. If we recognize a new government we could still send him back, I guess? I'd rather have him here than in Azerbaijan.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Al Jazeera right now "The fact that some members of the army have chosen to carry out this coup suggests that not everybody in the army is happy with Erdogan right now"

OH REALLY?

commedieu

Banned
It's fucking insane what GAF is doing right now. Laughing off an illegal coup just because their views don't line up with Erdogan's? He was chosen for fuck sake, not everyone of us agrees with it, but apparently the (majority of the) people of Turkey do, and that's more than enough. This can and probably will have massive consequences, but it seems GAF really just want Erdogan out without thinking about everything else.

One more time.

He was trying to dismantle democracy to stay in power. Imagine a president trying to dismantle congress. Jesus fucking christ, can all you knee-jerking crowd please educate yourself on this before posting about democracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom