• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
erogan.jpg
You're killin' me!

Corto

Erdogan is requesting his followers to go to the streets and don't allow this coup to happen. There's gonna be hundreds of deaths today

Hope not. The military seem pretty well organized in this coup and their quick taking over of important infrastructures should serve as determent of any reaction.

Oriel

Germany should think twice about offering this fuck asylum.

He's managed to piss off just about every country in the world, most world leaders would be hesitant to take him. I suppose he could go to Saudi Arabia, they're still reasonably friendly with Turkey.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't understand. Can you or someone fill me in on what this means?

Assad is the head of government in Syria. His ousting has been wanted by many for years now, but after years of civil war, he is still somehow retaining his position of power in Syria and outlasting his critics, a number of whom are other heads of state as the picture shows.

nynt9

True/False?

Jacob Goldstein @GoldsteinStreet

Military members staging coup in #Turkey are thought to be followers of U.S.-based imam Fethullah Gulen, says justice minister

The Erdogan government immediately blames Gulen for everything, so take anything from his side with a grain of salt.

MMaRsu

The trend is that a majority of Turkish immigrants in Western Europe (like 60+%) support him.

This is true.. But do they support him because he is a muslim? Ive spoken with a few Turks about Erdogan, but they seem not to mind he finds women with a career a broken woman than someone who takes care of their family for instance.

Not trying to make this about religion but tbh it seems that mostly the Turks who support him are islamic of faith, in my experience at least.

warthog

I hope when I wake up in the morning, POS erdogan is reduced to nothing more than political history and no blood has been spilled.

Erdogan seemed to be a bad dude who wanted an oppressive autocracy of his very own, and I guess there's a chance the military could have the best of intentions and Turkey will come out of this relatively unscathed.

I don't really know Turkish politics, but there seems to be some question about which military faction this is. And I think the worst-case scenario would be an internal civil war between vying factions as we've seen happen in Libya.

Sijil

Iraqi TV reporting that Turkish military personnel are being ordered to evacuate their camp in Bashiqa in northern Iraq.

Jackpot

Banned

Azzanadra

Lol @ Erdogan encouraging his followers to fight on the streets. I mean putting aside what a stupid request that is, especially for a world leader, does anyone actually like him enough to die on his behalf?

Axial

Erdogan calling for people to get out on the streets means that he pretty much lost control over all armed forces. He's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom