• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're trying to do a good thing how the hell is a coup a bad thing??? They wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't bad in the first place. Jesus Christ I don't understand people. Should everybody just sit around and do nothing?

Majukun

People who are endorsing this smh. He was DEMOCRATICALLY elected.

well,many dictatorships started with a fair election.
I'm no expert on the situation on Turkey,all i get are bit and pieces from the media here,and i don't completely trust the media to get the real picture,but the fact that it was elected doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants with the mandate,so the coup CAN be legitimate and made to re-install democracy even with a democratically elected leader.

whatever this is the case or not,no idea.

Apparently the majority of the voters were okay with those choices, otherwise we would have seen a protest or whatever on a massive (e.g. millions) scale. Instead we get the army barging in. Did they consult the people? Did they conduct an expansive research about it? Ironically GAF seems to applaud non-democratic means to topple a state of head they don't agree with.

You realize he was snuffing out opposition? State takeovers of media, arresting dissenting politicians etc etc.

MMaRsu

It's fucking insane what GAF is doing right now. Laughing off an illegal coup just because their views don't line up with Erdogan's? He was chosen for fuck sake, not everyone of us agrees with it, but apparently the (majority of the) people of Turkey do, and that's more than enough. This can and probably will have massive consequences, but it seems GAF really just want Erdogan out without thinking about everything else.

Apparantly the military have a constitutional right to take power back if someone turns the country into an undemocratic one.

Jeels

It's fucking insane what GAF is doing right now. Laughing off an illegal coup just because their views don't line up with Erdogan's? He was chosen for fuck sake, not everyone of us agrees with it, but apparently the (majority of the) people of Turkey do, and that's more than enough. This can and probably will have massive consequences, but it seems GAF really just want Erdogan out without thinking about everything else.

What are you talking about illegal? It's built right into their constitution.

And him being "chosen" has been covered several times in this thread.

I didn't think I would see this happen again. Based on what little I know, I was under the impression that the military was totally infiltrated with religious nutbars and government puppets.

Regginator

You realize this is bullshit right? And the fact that he was trying to erode democracy, means that he is no longer democratic? You can just say "Oh I didn't know that." This happens often in Turkey, Turkey has a history of coups. The military has a legal right to do so as well. So you're wrong on that front as well.

People are cheering in the streets. Please, stop posting. Google first, then come back and we can continue with some sort of substance, besides what you think because of invalid reasons.

What should I be googling? People cheering on the streets? Bullshit, let me see the receipts. I don't know where you get your information, but people (as in a generalisation of the Turkish population in its entirety, not a crowd of 10 people) are NOT cheering. Let me see a source of yours where thousands of people are on the streets singing "GO AWAY ERDOGAN, WE DON'T WANT YOU" or something along those lines.

Kathian

Banned
One more time.

He was trying to dismantle democracy to stay in power. Imagine a president trying to dismantle congress. Jesus fucking christ, can all you knee-jerking crowd please educate yourself on this before posting about democracy?

He's also led to the deaths of many people and likely more through promotion of sectarian and racist policies.

Pusherman

What's so strange about people taking to the streets to protest the forced removal of their elected leader? Dismissing an act that is demonstrably undemocratic, like a coup, with some vague statement about Erdogan 'undoing Turkish democracy' with no clear evidence of how (and no, cracking down on free media is bad but it does not undo democracy, unless you'd also applaud a coup in Poland). This development is in no way good for Turkey and it is not good for the region. I'm shocked by the way some are reacting in this thread.

Zaru

While I'd be glad to see Erdogan removed, a fucking military coup in a NATO country in this day and age (and economy) is going to hurt the turkish people quite a bit, and by extension a lot of other countries

TyrantII

"Democracy good, Other bad" seems to be your understanding or this issue. Sorry to let you in, but its a wee bit more complicated than that.

What should I be googling? People cheering on the streets? Bullshit, let me see the receipts. I don't know where you get your information, but people (as in a generalisation of the Turkish population in its entirety, not a crowd of 10 people) are NOT cheering. Let me see a source of yours where thousands of people are on the streets singing "GO AWAY ERDOGAN, WE DON'T WANT YOU" or something along those lines.

ok so

LALALALALALA I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR COUNTER POINTS

Apparently the majority of the voters were okay with those choices, otherwise we would have seen a protest or whatever on a massive (e.g. millions) scale. Instead we get the army barging in. Did they consult the people? Did they conduct an expansive research about it? Ironically GAF seems to applaud non-democratic means to topple a state of head they don't agree with.

Your constitution allows the military to do this!

One more time.

He was trying to dismantle democracy to stay in power. Imagine a president trying to dismantle congress. Jesus fucking christ, can all you knee-jerking crowd please educate yourself on this before posting about democracy?

What did he do to dismantle democracy? Genuinely asking as I dont know about Turkish politics.

nynt9

Holy shit

What's so strange about people taking to the streets to protest the forced removal of their elected leader? Dismissing an act that is demonstrably undemocratic, like a coup, with some vague statement about Erdogan 'undoing Turkish democracy' with no clear evidence of how (and no, cracking down on free media is bad but it does not undo democracy, unless you'd also applaud a coup in Poland). This development is in no way good for Turkey and it is not good for the region. I'm shocked by the way some are reacting in this thread.

You could, you know, look up Erdogan's history.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/erdogans-march-to-dictatorship-in-turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom