• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
fQSgqWV.png

holy shit, the little mini mic

So small.

LNBL

What should I be googling? People cheering on the streets? Bullshit, let me see the receipts. I don't know where you get your information, but people (as in a generalisation of the Turkish population in its entirety, not a crowd of 10 people) are NOT cheering. Let me see a source of yours where thousands of people are on the streets singing "GO AWAY ERDOGAN, WE DON'T WANT YOU" or something along those lines.
Dont know about the chants, but there are numerous live streams on Periscope happening that show large crowds chanting

jelly

Cancelled our holiday to Turkey. We were leaving tomorrow. Obviously disappointed but we agreed it just isn't worth it. Stay safe Turkey Gaf, hope everything works out peacefully.

That's a shame. I guess you get a refund for the circumstances so not all bad.

Hope it all goes smoothly over there, stay safe.

dakun

The people who staged the coup don't look to be enough in numbers. Looks like Erdogan supporters will be successful in stopping them simply by the fact that the military isn't out for blood thus making it impossible to win against an angry mob.

Yeah sure. Organizing a coup against a president elected by the majoraty os sure going to end very will. Army taking over usually don't end very well.
Depends on his current approval ratings... I'd go by that first to get some insight on how likely the population will possibly react.

Anyone have his approval numbers?

Kusagari

Yeah sure. Organizing a coup against a president elected by the majoraty os sure going to end very will. Army taking over usually don't end very well.

Except it's happened multiple times in Turkey with good results.

The constitution allows the military to stand up and stop wannabee dictators like Erdogan.

M.D

Reporters on TV said this happened now because Erdogan was supposed to make changes to some top military positions in August and put more of his people into power

skny

Sorry to say but Erdogan is staying after this. People are already storming the streets and military isnt doing anything at all.

Markoman

I'm still calling it...Erdogan knew months in advance that this is going to happen.
That's why he wanted visa free travel for Turkish citizens. He was already planning to come to Germany where he has many followers. The visa free travelling would have been a great opportunity to get a good chunk of his supporters to Germany while leaving his oppsition and all the refuess back in Turkey. Like a German stand-up comedian with Turkish heritage once predicted: the Turks will never try to take over Europe again by going through Vienna, next time they will try to do it via Berlin.

Just kidding, at least the second part

Apparently the majority of the voters were okay with those choices, otherwise we would have seen a protest or whatever on a massive (e.g. millions) scale. Instead we get the army barging in. Did they consult the people? Did they conduct an expansive research about it? Ironically GAF seems to applaud non-democratic means to topple a state of head they don't agree with.
Even assuming that's true, ever heard of the "tyranny of the majority," or did you miss that in civics class?

Condom

Anyone who's defending Erdogan in the name of democracy is either ignorant and an idiot.

The guy was a wannabe dicator. So what if he was democratically elected ? Is it ok to let someone become a dictator for life because he came into power legally ?

Get real.

I hate Erdogan and even I know this will most likely cause bullshit, people are acting like the military will install a democratic utopia. Things rarely are as simple as that.

dakun

Cub3h

Banned
The pro-Erdogan slant at Al-Jazeera English is sickening. They're painting Erdogan as some sort of Democratic saint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom