• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
What should I be googling? People cheering on the streets? Bullshit, let me see the receipts. I don't know where you get your information, but people (as in a generalisation of the Turkish population in its entirety, not a crowd of 10 people) are NOT cheering. Let me see a source of yours where thousands of people are on the streets singing "GO AWAY ERDOGAN, WE DON'T WANT YOU" or something along those lines.

You have 0 point besides your emotional response to a situation you don't even understand with subjective demands to fit your sheltered world view. Like I said, you asked for the constitution after rambling on about democracy without knowing what he has been doing to dismantle it. Keep posting with no substance if you want, or educate yourself and google.

You don't know anything, yet you're trying to speak with authority, then you have some asinine idea that this is a GAF thing to get high fives from other ignorant posters.

Google, and come back.

kmfdmpig

Apparently the majority of the voters were okay with those choices, otherwise we would have seen a protest or whatever on a massive (e.g. millions) scale. Instead we get the army barging in. Did they consult the people? Did they conduct an expansive research about it? Ironically GAF seems to applaud non-democratic means to topple a state of head they don't agree with.

Maybe the fact that many protesters were killed and the free press was eroded contributed to what you think is apathy. Erdogan was a mini Putin in terms of strong-arming his way to more and more power. If it's a choice between him or the Turkish military, I'd prefer the Turkish military.

samueeL

Banned
Honestly, the way Erdogan tried to shut this down I'm slightly surprised they're pulling this off, good for them.

This summer is not lacking breaking news...

Ultimate irony would be Erdogan flying to Damacus. I'd lose my mind if that ever happened. But it is a lot of fun to imagine.

As for asylum in Germany... well, Merkel did say bring in all the refugees so...

Honestly, the way Erdogan tried to shut this down I'm slightly surprised they're pulling this off, good for them.

This summer is not lacking breaking news...

The military has generally a higher support from the people than any political party in Turkey.

No civil war will happen.

zeroOman

One more time.

He was trying to dismantle democracy to stay in power. Imagine a president trying to dismantle congress. Jesus fucking christ, can all you knee-jerking crowd please educate yourself on this before posting about democracy?

same shit said about Egypt which is 80% bs... yeah let's chose military coup it's 100% better

Crosseyes

Banned
Erdogan leaned heavily on Islamist supporters and we all know how dedicated they can be to a zealous cause. Hopefully the military can snuff out any holdouts quickly while minimizing the civilian casualties.

Definitely a great day for the marginalized people of Turkey.

Ac30

If Erdogan survives this coup it will get VERY ugly. Wouldn't be surprised if he completely purges the military and consolidates power.

zsynqx

Cancelled our holiday to Turkey. We were leaving tomorrow. Obviously disappointed but we agreed it just isn't worth it. Stay safe Turkey Gaf, hope everything works out peacefully.

Miletius

Dang, that's what my phone was doing all this afternoon. Stay safe, Turkey GAF. I spent 4 months in Izmir and traveled around Turkey many years ago, one of the nicest experiences I've ever had and some of the nicest people. Regardless of what happens, I hope that the country will maintain that spirit.

fQSgqWV.png

holy shit, the little mini mic

Mimosa97

Anyone who's defending Erdogan in the name of democracy is either ignorant and an idiot.

The guy was a wannabe dicator. So what if he was democratically elected ? Is it ok to let someone become a dictator for life because he came into power legally ?

Get real.

ArjanN

It's fucking insane what GAF is doing right now. Laughing off an illegal coup just because their views don't line up with Erdogan's? He was chosen for fuck sake, not everyone of us agrees with it, but apparently the (majority of the) people of Turkey do, and that's more than enough. This can and probably will have massive consequences, but it seems GAF really just want Erdogan out without thinking about everything else.

No, it's just that most of GAF are aware that in practical terms Erdogan is essentially just a shitty dictator.

Arnie7

Banned
Erdogan is a criminal and should be arrested for inciting violence asking people to go on street - asking basically for civil war.

Kolx

Yeah sure. Organizing a coup against a president elected by the majoraty os sure going to end very will. Army taking over usually don't end very well.

So is the military fighting against Erdogans dictatorship and for a more open democracy or can we expect things to become even worse if they succeed?

Ataturk knew this was going to be a difficult and repeating cycle for the Turkish people. That is why he gave the secular military the responsibility of maintaining a reasonable degree of secularism in the government. I'm not sure how anyone who has watched Erdogan can claim that the military is doing anything other than their constitutional duty.

HariKari

If Erdogan survives this coup it will get VERY ugly. Wouldn't be surprised if he completely purges the military and consolidates power.

The military is close with the west and they have more support than Erdogan ever did. This is a net good thing if it can happen bloodlessly.

MUnited83

For you.
It has been shocking to me really, thats why I stopped discussing politics with anyone, not just the internet.
Well, being conpletely ignorant sure doesnt help you either. You migjt want to actually research like 2 seconds before making tbose terrible ass statements.

Erdogan wasnt a democratic leader
Erdogan violated the very concept of democracy numerous times
Erdogan rigged the fucking elections

The right to do a coup is ON THE CONSTITUTION.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom