• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

lol what a loser. this is why you make friends.

This is why, specifically, you don't piss all over diplomatic protocol and lodge formal efforts to get foreign pundits jailed for making parody videos, specifically.

A coup isn't the right way to go about this, but it is interesting to see Erdogan realize that the only reason anyone outside of Turkey liked him was because they had to.

My wife's parents would have been in Turkey right now if not for the airport attack that happened.

Turkey has coups every 20 odd years, so not that surprising. Generally it is military organizing a coup for secular government.

Molemitts

fQSgqWV.png

holy shit, the little mini mic

It looks like they're interviewing a tiny man in a box.

Pusherman

How dare people take to the streets to let their voices be heard. Everyone knows a proper democracy only works when people sit back and let unelected military officials make all the decisions.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Friend of mine from college (who is Turkish) flew home a few days ago, she's right in the thick of it and posting some insane Facebook updates. I've encouraged her to go out and get some photos, hopefully she nails some awesome shots.

I think it was extremely naive of people to think this will end quickly and peacefully. People are going to get hurt and if the coup fails than it will only embolden Erdogan even more.

Setsu00

They said on Twitter they'd start at midnight after getting torn apart for not covering Turkey live. I guess they're taking their time.

... Which is absolutely the right thing to do. This is a developing situation and nobody seems to know what's going on. Spreading false or unconfirmed information doesn't help anyone.

Mr. X

How dare people take to the streets to let their voices be heard. Everyone knows a proper democracy only works when people sit back and let unelected military officials make all the decisions.
He's creating an Islamic dictatorship in a secular country from what it looks like.

Yudoken

Guess who just left his sisters wedding and currently drives from Gaziantep to Mersin?
We're driving with three cars, hopefully there is nothing going on our way.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Friend of mine from college (who is Turkish) flew home a few days ago, she's right in the thick of it and posting some insane Facebook updates. I've encouraged her to go out and get some photos, hopefully she nails some awesome shots.

I'd encourage her to stay far away from anyone with a gun or large crowds. Never know when shit is going to go down.

oti

Banned

what the fuck is wrong with you? tell her to go back

MMaRsu

sounds to me like a failed coup, its terrible for people wanting a secular state but if the people of turkey want a islamic regime led by a dictator then so be it.

Kusagari

Religious extremists propped up Erdogan and they're the exact type to strike back against something like this.

This could get bad.

SexyFish

Banned

Hopefully she stays safe from your shitty advice.

belushy

Banned

I think she'd be better off just staying low right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom