• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromat

This is so crazy. I'm gonna go on a limb here and predict that this attempt will fail and Erdogan will stay put. The aftermath is going to be ugly though.

Regginator

Lmao this dumbass logic " oh shit if you elected someone they should have the right to conpletely destroy democracy if they want! But if someone fights to thrown out a undemocratic leader, thats a complete affront to democracy!"

That's the irony right there. The majority of Turkish people side with Erdogan, and thus agree with (most of) his Islamic conservative views. Isn't that the literal definition of a democracy, or doesn't that fit our definition of a democracy?

z3phon

Friend of mine from college (who is Turkish) flew home a few days ago, she's right in the thick of it and posting some insane Facebook updates. I've encouraged her to go out and get some photos, hopefully she nails some awesome shots.
Awesome shots? are you joking?
What a moronic thing to say, you might be living in a bubble since you clearly have no idea how dangerous it can be to go out at such a time.

Dennis

Banned
aReEoqt.png

... #preyforturkey

This looks fake as fuck. No way something that organized is happening right now.

Someone really needs to post that "journalism during a crisis" pic that basically says stop assuming that you can know what is going on based on "reports" and sources saying in the first hours of a crisis.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ugh, seeing on one hand people escalating a tank a trying to beat the soldiers in while other trying to calm them down (on periscope) and on Euronews I think people who tried to approach the army on the bridge had been shot at.

This is getting very tense and dangerous.

Oh good grief, lots of people on the streets now after Erdogan made that statement.

Sky News are saying they are hearing reports of tank and gun fire.

nynt9

That's the irony right there. The majority of Turkish people side with Erdogan, and thus agree with (most of) his Islamic conservative views. Isn't that the literal definition of a democracy, or doesn't that fit our definition of a democracy?

I like your Erdogan stanning, but can you actually prove that the majority agrees with him? Remember, you can't cite election results as they are dubious: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Elector...uring_the_Turkish_general_election,_June_2015

So what is this exactly? A coup by Gulan followers in the military afraid of getting sacked by Erdogan in the near future?

Whether or not this coup is successful largely depends on how much of the military is actually participating, I think. If it's all or most of it then I think Erdogan's days are numbered.

Could the shots fired be Police or government security personell vs Military?

jelly

I would take any social media stuff with a very large pinch of salt. You don't know the agendas some might have. Stick to proper news sources and relax, don't get sucked into it.

Dierce

Looks like the pro-government police forces have taken over the airport that was previously under control of the military who appears to have retreated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom