• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
How dare people take to the streets to let their voices be heard. Everyone knows a proper democracy only works when people sit back and let unelected military officials make all the decisions.
Erdogan in charge IS NOT DEMOCRACY FFS. People letting their voices be hears for that complete fucking coward are like voices of civilian nazis cheering for fucking Hitler. If your definition of Democracy includes "throwing out Hitler is a complete affront to democracy" on it, then its a fucked up definition.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
aReEoqt.png

... #preyforturkey

This looks fake as fuck. No way something that organized is happening right now.

That photo is from at least 2015. Google it.

Regginator

This looks fake as fuck. No way something that organized is happening right now.

Doesn't have to be organised like "hey man, see you at the square?", this is huge news so of course people will massively hit the streets, and then follow each other until you get huge groups like that. It can happen in an hour easily, but I don't know if that specific picture is one of tonight.

That's the irony right there. The majority of Turkish people side with Erdogan, and thus agree with (most of) his Islamic conservative views. Isn't that the literal definition of a democracy, or doesn't that fit our definition of a democracy?
If a majority of Americans wanted to institute a state religion, ban free speech, and eliminate due process, that wouldn't be a democracy either. Many countries are democratic institutions ruled by the rule of law. Opinion polls and election results that demonstrate "support" for actions that contravene the rule of law as established in those countries are by definition not definitive to establish them as new law. Not hard to understand. But keep hitting that one note you have.

Markoman

Shit, German television talks about the possibility that Turkish exiled islamic leader Fettulah Gülen plays an important part in the coup. If true, dark times ahead.

That's the irony right there. The majority of Turkish people side with Erdogan, and thus agree with (most of) his Islamic conservative views. Isn't that the literal definition of a democracy, or doesn't that fit our definition of a democracy?
When was tyranny of the majority a democratic ideal?

And prove that it was a majority. Give me the receipts.

I dont think they are trying to take over a tank I think they are celebrating the guys inside?
Yep, they're definitely cheering.

Doubt the military will face much civilian resistance in Istanbul, Erdogan's powerbase is mainly in the countryside.

EDIT: Wow, was wrong, they're chanting Erdogan's name and are rushing the tank.

Maledict

That is not the definition of a democracy. The protection of the rights of the minorities is an essential part of democracy. Democracy isn't, and never has been, the tyranny of the majority. Even back in Ancient Greece they built in safeguards to stop that happening.

RangerX

Banned
When it comes to Islamists don't believe Al Jazera they have an Islamist Agenda.

No they don't. Thats pure bullshit. Al Jazeera is an excellent source of news.

Anyway looks like things are beginning to get violent. I hope the Turkish people can come out of this relatively unscathed but if Erdogan wins or loses there is going to be repercussions.

thespot84

people are whistling at the tanks, it doens't seem that contentious. I missed the part where someone tried to beat up a gunner. A driver had his head out and no one was swinging at him

edit nm just saw it

commedieu

Banned
This periscope stream is insane, holy shit

I just saw people rush a tank...

Wow.
people are whistling at the tanks, it doens't seem that contentious. I missed the part where someone tried to beat up a gunner. A driver had his head out and no one was swinging at him

They did. He fired warning shots, and got fuckign swarmed and knocked in the head a few times. Helmet fell off, then it looks like they got into an argument. But, alls good now.

nynt9

When was tyranny of the majority a democratic ideal?

And prove that it was a majority. Give me the receipts.

Every time I posted some factual evidence showing Erdogan is not necessarily democratically elected or a democratic leader he has ignored my post, so don't expect a response.

Hazmat

I said in previous page: thank god, it's fake.

#preyforturkey

You keep posting this hashtag and I don't know if it's intentional misspelling, but the word "prey" there means that it's something that Turkey is hunting. You want "pray" if you mean to talk to God.

Edit: not criticizing spelling, but just that it radically changes the meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom