• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
It's chaos. Don't believe anonymous sources, don't believe everything you see or read. If you are in Turkey, stay at home. If you know someone in Turkey, tell them to stay at home. Don't go out, don't be stupid.

Condom

Again what the military is doing now is ratified in the Turkish constitution.

This isn't something new this has happened at least 4 times before.

Nobody cares. Most Turks are not cheering this on, even anti-erdogan people. I see only western people cheering this on

Faustek

fuck, some are saying it's Fethullah Gulen behind the coupe.
Fucking shit. Isn't that the dude that is rather anti secularism and very pro conservative Islam?

The guy running the periscope seems to think it's Fetullah Gullen (Islamist Extremists) who is behind the Coup.

AFAIK Gulen is not an Islamist extremist. Not by a longshot. He's a bit of a wacko maybe, but oecumenic.

What kind of Unity? I am 100% certain that the only writings I've seen about him are colored as...well not from real journalists but people really disliking him.

It's unclear at the moment. At least part of the military and air force are attempting a coup. It is unclear how much support they have both within the military and the population. Long night ahead in Turkey.

ok, thanks.

Reuters says that the EU says the support within the army isn't small http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-eu-idUSKCN0ZV2NE

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
AFAIK Gulen is not an Islamist extremist. Not by a longshot. He's a bit of a wacko maybe, but oecumenic.

He's not especially different to Erdogan, either ideologically or temperamentally. This would just be Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss - now with 20% more coup!

If it's to overthrow that corrupt dictator I'm all for it. Don't forget he was locking up Turkish military officers since he came into power. Maybe they've had enough of his shit show.

First Army of Turkey does not support the coup according to Al Jazeera. This would be the army in Istanbul they say. All seems very fragmented.

How have people decided already that this is a failed coup? Based on what?
Just want to know.
Military is not united in supporting the coup. Political parties are not supporting it. And people are going in the streets protesting. Seems the sentiment turned very quickly in the last hour.

Crispy75

f1hWik9.jpg

Mr Johnson? Are you awake? Sir? Boris?
Ahem
Excuse me sir, there's a phone call for you.

nynt9

Fucking shit. Isn't that the dude that is rather anti secularism and very pro conservative Islam?

Erdogan's supporters love to blame Gulen as the go-to. It is unclear if that is actually the case.

MMaRsu

This is all stuf that nobody knows right now. The only source is a guy running a Periscope stream.

Klyka

Banned
These rebels seem to be losing quickly now.

This will lead to Erdogan implementing even more draconian laws that will make him more and more untoucheable.

This might lead to exactly the opposite of what the rebels wanted.

Sad, really.

Pusherman

those Islamic chants by the crowd are terrifying to me. Many of these Erdogan supporters are fucking insane.

Muslims chant Allahu Akbar. They always do. It's not exclusive to 'dangerous Islamists'. Jesus Christ, regardless of what you think of Erdogan no one should support the forced removal of a popular elected leader by the military. And before you give me that shit about 'it's constitutional’, just because something's in a constitution does not mean it's justified and morally right.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

That's what Erdogan said, of course he would say that. The military itself said they were doing this for pro-secularism and pro-Attaturk purposes.

Speely

Banned
Damnit this is a rollercoaster ride into madness. I hope the casualties are minimal. It will be a shame if this ends up being a failed secular coup. The aftermath could be ugly in a lot of ways. Stay safe, TurkeyGAF.

skny

I live in Istanbul. This is a failed coup. Literally thousands of people stormed through the street I live in. Some points like Bosphorus are still being locked down by Military

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom