• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakun

Wow this thread is full of ignorants who dont know shit and talk...

Anyway, the bridge has been reclaimed, some of the generals have been captured.. people all over turkey are on the streets, istanbul, ankara, izmir, EVERYWHERE.

Luckily a failed coup.

I'm from Turkey. Islamism wins if this coup fails. Turkey loses.

msv

Pro or Con, why are people going out on the street? It's not even known what pro or con means in this case, so why create even more chaos when you don't know what is happening in the first place? Or are people basing their idea of the coup on that one statement saying this was about instating freedom and such?

Violet_0

Banned
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but just in case:
There were massive tensions between the German government and Erdogan recently, starting with Erdogan parodies and (kinda vile and personal) attacks on him being broadcast on public television channels, leading to a bunch of exchanges between both governments concerning freedom of parody/speech discussions, that then happened within Germany as well (some people got fired), up to the point where Erdogan refused several German government officials the entry to visit German stationed troops in Turkey.
The relation is currently strained, to put it optimistically.

the last part is news to me. I know that there are diplomatic tensions between Germany and Turkey, but still, Erdogan is a democratically elected leader and not a criminal despot fleeing the country looking for a safe haven

LiK

Turkish Naval Forces announced that they reject and is not supporting the coup. Thank god.

It must be easy for some people outside of Turkey that doesnt have any experience with coups and supports it so lightly.

Hope it ends soon.

That's pretty huge

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Turkish Naval Forces announced that they reject and is not supporting the coup. Thank god.

It must be easy for some people outside of Turkey that doesnt have any experience with coups and supports it so lightly.

Hope it ends soon.

You post a lot in this thread without any source.

MMaRsu

Anyway, the bridge has been reclaimed, some of the generals have been captured.. people all over turkey are on the streets, istanbul, ankara, izmir, EVERYWHERE.

Luckily a failed coup.

Luckily? Are you f'ing kidding me? You'd rather have an islamic state run by a dictator, implementing laws that impede human rights and normal values?

You get what you deserve I guess.

I'll refrain from saying what I really want to say because I dont want to be banned.

Faustek

DO NOT GET PEOPLE TO GO OUTSIDE​

The guy running the periscope seems to think it's Fetullah Gullen (Islamist Extremists) who is behind the Coup.

AFAIK Gulen is not an Islamist extremist. Not by a longshot. He's a bit of a wacko maybe, but oecumenic.

It's unclear at the moment. At least part of the military and air force are attempting a coup. It is unclear how much support they have both within the military and the population. Long night ahead in Turkey.

Erdogan's supporters love to blame Gulen as the go-to. It is unclear if that is actually the case.

This is all stuf that nobody knows right now. The only source is a guy running a Periscope stream.

That's what Erdogan said, of course he would say that. The military itself said they were doing this for pro-secularism and pro-Attaturk purposes.

ok, thanks and as I said earlier this is from people that are normal humans that dislike him.

Turkey will never be secular I dunno why anyone is wasting their time most of my family/ relatives live by cherry picked Islam (they are not alone in doing this), drink raki then claim to be Müslüman when it fits them. I even saw people harassing a Turkish twitch streamer who was no fasting during Ramadan and just.

UV-6

There were shots earlier. I watched it live on periscope, but it was aimed at the sky trying to disperse the crowds. No evidence of actually shooting at civilians so far.

Edit: seems like some people got shot actually. damn :(

Chaos17

The only good result that can happen is no victims and no more Erdogan to rule Turkey cause he will be disavowed from his career and/or being inprisoned. Just so they can go back to their better days where Turkey was actually a democratic country.

There were a minimum of victims until Erdogan called out his fans... then when he did, his partisans began to take action and force the army to respond.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Luckily a failed coup.

The bridge seems pretty fine live on TV. Speaking about knowing shit and talking.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm from Turkey. Islamism wins if this coup fails. Turkey loses.
Yes this is what I see happening as well. The absolute best result would be the coup succeeding. Erdogan surviving this and being emboldened against the Kemalists..

I'm sorry but bye bye Turkey. Another Middle Eastern country.

phaonaut

Rumours on twitter being that Fethullah Gülen is the apparent mastermind of coup or factions close to him.

He currently lives in self-imposed exile in the United States, residing in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania.

fethullah-gulen-75.jpg

Looks like a wax statue.

I'll say this. If the military is doing this as it is their duty. Then they are right. If this ends up failing. Then Turkey deserve this man.
This. I really doubt Gülan would be any worse than the short-tempered egomaniac that Erdogan is. Erdogan is literally trying to establish a dictatorship and he is supplying frickin' ISIS with guns and ammunition for christ's sake.

Fritz

I have Turkish friends that are convinced this a set up to allow ergodan to push thru constitutional change and seize power

That was my first thought actually, lol. I guess tomorrow the picture will be clearer or in the coming weeks at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom