• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
These rebels seem to be losing quickly now.

This will lead to Erdogan implementing even more draconian laws that will make him more and more untoucheable.

This might lead to exactly the opposite of what the rebels wanted.

Sad, really.

Providing a casus belli for Putin to protect the Russian minorities in Turkey

Vastag

Friend of mine from college (who is Turkish) flew home a few days ago, she's right in the thick of it and posting some insane Facebook updates. I've encouraged her to go out and get some photos, hopefully she nails some awesome shots.

Do you understand what a military coup with shots fired, tanks in the streets, etc... involves? you have encouraged a friend to go out to take photos? really?

nynt9

Muslims chant Allahu Akbar. They always do. It's not exclusive to 'dangerous Islamists'. Jesus Christ, regardless of what you think of Erdogan no one should support the forced removal of a popular elected leader by the military. And before you give me that shit about 'it's constitutional’, just because something's in a constitution does not mean it's justified and morally right.

Are Erdogan's actions justified and morally right then?

"popular elected leader" is hilarious though https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Elector...uring_the_Turkish_general_election,_June_2015

Boke1879

I'll say this. If the military is doing this as it is their duty. Then they are right. If this ends up failing. Then Turkey deserve this man.

Dierce

The military doesn't appear to have sufficient support from the people in the streets. If they are indeed trying to establish secular rule it sadly doesn't appear that it will successful, way too many fanatics on the streets.

Dee Dee

kinda curious why Germany didn't allow the plane to land

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but just in case:
There were massive tensions between the German government and Erdogan recently, starting with Erdogan parodies and (kinda vile and personal) attacks on him being broadcast on public television channels, leading to a bunch of exchanges between both governments concerning freedom of parody/speech discussions, that then happened within Germany as well (some people got fired), up to the point where Erdogan refused several German government officials the entry to visit German stationed troops in Turkey.
The relation is currently strained, to put it optimistically.

Snake

It would be really nice if people would stop posting baseless speculation/rumors from reddit and twitter as fact.

A lost cause, I'm sure.

MMaRsu

Muslims chant Allahu Akbar. They always do. It's not exclusive to 'dangerous Islamists'. Jesus Christ, regardless of what you think of Erdogan no one should support the forced removal of a popular elected leader by the military. And before you give me that shit about 'it's constitutional’, just because something's in a constitution does not mean it's justified and morally right.

Actually, turning a country into a religious dictatorship, that in my eyes is justified to remove such a madman.

dakun

In Turkey this is not the case. chanting Allahu Akbar in this context clearly shows your allegiance to the Erdogans side of Islamism, which i see as dangerous.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I still can't get over the fact that he addressed the press from face time. There is no way that is going to inspire confidence in anyone but I suppose not addressing them at all would be even worse.

kinda curious why Germany didn't allow the plane to land
Something to do with Erdogan being a massive douchenozzle and known to throw a temper tantrum like Kim Jong Un and tend to blackmail other countries when things doesn't go his way, oh and he tried to blackmail Germany couple of months ago regarding refugees and a comedian.

Red Fire

those Islamic chants by the crowd are terrifying to me. Many of these Erdogan supporters are fucking insane.

Wow this thread is full of ignorants who dont know shit and talk...

Anyway, the bridge has been reclaimed, some of the generals have been captured.. people all over turkey are on the streets, istanbul, ankara, izmir, EVERYWHERE.

Luckily a failed coup.

Sax1031

Banned
I live in Istanbul. This is a failed coup. Literally thousands of people stormed through the street I live in. Some points like Bosphorus are still being locked down by Military

this is going to be awkward.

almost certainty that the US and EU were involved.

I still can't get over the fact that he addressed the press from face time. There is no way that is going to inspire confidence in anyone but I suppose not addressing them at all would be even worse.

One of the most important thing in a coup early on is media access. Being able to address the press but more importantly his supporters was hugely beneficial to him. If he doesn't get that access to media then there is no counter protest.

sflufan

Banned
I can imagine the utter chaos in the situation room at the Pentagon and at NATO HQ as they try to figure which units of the Turkish military have allegiance to whom.

qazqaNii

Turkish Naval Forces announced that they reject and is not supporting the coup. Thank god.

It must be easy for some people outside of Turkey that doesnt have any experience with coups and supports it so lightly.

Hope it ends soon.

Paasei

The only good result that can happen is no victims and no more Erdogan to rule Turkey cause he will be disavowed from his career and/or being imprisoned. Just so they can go back to their better days where Turkey was actually a democratic country.

Mosques calling people to go outside.

Refrain from posting anything without providing a link to the source, THX.

I wouldn't be quick to judge the people protesting on the streets, specially if you are not Turkish, we don't even know the true intentions of the coup, and rumors point out to this being lead by Fethullah Gülen, and if that's the case, people have all the right in the world to oppose the movement.

Chaos17

The military doesn't appear to have sufficient support from the people in the streets. If they are indeed trying to establish secular rule it sadly doesn't appear that it will successful, way too many fanatics on the streets.

Usually it's like that, good/neutral people will take shelter instead (they're not wrong) while opposition will try what they can.

ShutEye

I have Turkish friends that are convinced this a set up to allow ergodan to push thru constitutional change and seize power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom