• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

the last part is news to me. I know that there are diplomatic tensions between Germany and Turkey, but still, Erdogan is a democratically elected leader and not a criminal despot fleeing the country looking for a safe haven

In reality he's more the latter than the former.

This. I really doubt Gülan would be any worse than the short-tempered egomaniac that Erdogan is. Erdogan is literally trying to establish a dictatorship and he is supplying frickin' ISIS with guns and ammunition for christ's sake.

Well given that the coup is stalling it's likely that he'll succeed in that to the roars of crowds.

patapuf

From reading the thread a coup sounds like the best case scenario.

It's really not that easy.

Erdogan is a shithead but he has a lot of support. Even if the military "wins" this could still turn into a total disaster and civil war.

At this point the most important thing is that whatever is happening happens quickly and that there is a clear winner.

Beefy

This thread is a mess. Some saying the coup is failing some saying it's winning. Some saying people are cheering some saying people are angry.

cilonen

Wow this thread is full of ignorants who dont know shit and talk...

Anyway, the bridge has been reclaimed, some of the generals have been captured.. people all over turkey are on the streets, istanbul, ankara, izmir, EVERYWHERE.

Luckily a failed coup.

The one I'm watching on the fox live stream clearly hasn't.

qcf x2

Luckily? Are you f'ing kidding me? You'd rather have an islamic state run by a dictator, implementing laws that impede human rights and normal values?

You get what you deserve I guess.

I'll refrain from saying what I really want to say because I dont want to be banned.

Glad you're an expert, might as well bless us all with the ominscient insight you were holding back.

Madness

So, where is this "The coup has failed" coming from? Wishfull thinking, actual news or just personal prediction?

Wishful thinking. This has the support of most of the military and is already successful in that they have closed off key bridges and are consolidating support. Without international intervention it is already over for Erdogan. The danger now is the pro-Erdogan forces taking to the streets and waking upto this reality. Last thing you want is a sort of civil war against the military. You could see bloodshed.

dakun

""Wow it sounds Islamic and thus it terrifies me and the anti-coup population is fucking insane"", dakun says.

i actually know what those chants represent in context to this coup.. it's Erdogan's strand of Islamism that is dangerous. I don't care what you think it means.

antonz

It boggles my mind that this was even suggested.
That is the only way an overthrown party has a chance of retaking power. Throw bodies at the military and hope the military causes a slaughter which then turns the people against the Military.

Peoples lives are simply playthings for dictators

d00d3n

Wow this thread is full of ignorants who dont know shit and talk...

Anyway, the bridge has been reclaimed, some of the generals have been captured.. people all over turkey are on the streets, istanbul, ankara, izmir, EVERYWHERE.

Luckily a failed coup.

What is this based on? Please provide some sources brah.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So many conflicting and ambiguous reports... It's really impossible to extract what's going on from this chaos.

nynt9

This thread is a mess. Some saying the coup is failing some saying it's winning. Some saying people are cheering some saying people are angry.

The situation is unclear and Erdogan controls a lot of the Turkish media so it's hard to get the truth. Some Erdogan stans in the thread are also muddying the conversation, but we really don't know the actual situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom