• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

So many conflicting and ambiguous reports... It's really impossible to extract what's going on from this chaos.

Yea, I'm so confused as to what's happening on the ground there.

Gonna leave this thread and come back in a couple hours; this should be over by then.

Mivey

Amazing how many people we have in here who actually support Erdogan.

Disgusting.
I hate the guy like any sane person, but I can understand if you don't want him replaced by a Coup d'etat. [ Thanks JonnyDbrit ] That won't truly strengthen secularism in Turkey.

This whole coup seems so slow and dilettantish. I hope bloodshed can be avoided at all costs.

This was just uploaded on the Guardian's live ticker. Gives some good insight into the situation:
Professor Omer Taspinar, a senior fellow at Brookings Institution who has repeatedly warned of a military coup in Turkey in recent months, said a critical question would be the degree to which the entire military command was involved in the attempted coup:

The situation is really fluid. Right now the question is whether the attempted coup is from the top command, with the top brass involved, or a colonel-level or officer-coup, from a certain segment of the army. There are indications right now that it is the latter. The chief of staff of the military has not spoken yet and traditionally with Turkish coups you would expect the head of the military to be on TV taking command.”

He continued, “This will rattle the Turkish markets. It will tarnish the country’s image. My analysis is that this will certainly be embarrassing for the country’s recently re-elected president, Recep Erdoğan. The signs are chaotic right now but I think the rumors of Erdoğan’s demise would be highly exaggerated given he has been on TV.”

Taspinar said the most dangerous risk was a breakout in fighting between divisions within the Turkish military and police forces and intelligence factions aligned between with Erdoğan’s Ministry of the Interior. “I don’t expect that to happen, but if it does it would be devastating to Turkey.”

I hate the guy like any sane person, but I can understand if you don't want him replaced by a coup de grace. That won't truly strengthen secularism in Turkey.

This whole coup seems so slow and dilettantish. I hope bloodshed can be avoided at all costs.

Coup d'etat. De grace is something else.

skny

Please guys its easy to blame us being Erdogan supporters for not wanting a coup. It has brought nothing but despair to us in our past.

Stop being so ignorant. People who are against Erdogan are also against the coup. 90% of the coup supporters until now have been western people. The military is not the solution
Yeah, I'm sure you've got some other solution that's going to work real well. Turkey sure has been moving in a beautiful direction in recent years.

Oh wait.

Beefy

The situation is unclear and Erdogan controls a lot of the Turkish media so it's hard to get the truth. Some Erdogan stans in the thread are also muddying the conversation, but we really don't know the actual situation.

Crazy how many supporters he has on here.

Klyka

Banned
That helicopter shooting is not new,it happened like 30+ minutes ago already.

It was the helicopter shooting at the intelligence service building

PJV3

If the coup follows the usual Turkish pattern then I don't see the point of dying to stop it. A few years and they hand back power to a civilian government.

Senoculum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mq5hrUDoYo

Lot of gunfire on here, looks like protesters are trying to cross the bridge.

Earlier there was gunfire. Unclear at what or who it was directed at. But I saw people quickly lift someone off the ground and, seemingly, take them out of the area (if someone was shot, wouldn't being lifted/dragged out hurt them even more?). I saw at least three separate groups doing that. Doesn't look good.

I've been telling people for a long time now that we are looking at perhaps the most turbulent period of geopolitics since the end of the Cold War.

So much has happened since 2000 and I'm really afraid what this means for all of us. I hope that this is as smooth as it can be, but if this is to install the Presidents rival, as many believe it might just be, this could be the beginning of something far worse than even Syria currently is.

Corto

Telling civilians to flood the streets in the midst of a cup strikes me as utterly temerary.

And what's more odd is if there is indeed division amongst the army forces why did he put the people on the line instead of ordering loyal army factions to attempt to end the coup?

If the coup follows the usual Turkish pattern then I don't see the point of dying to stop it. A few years and they hand back power to a civilian government.

Islamists are trying to stop it. They want Turkey to become some Islamist hellhole. They are utter scum who stand in the way of secularism.

Pusherman

You don't need to be a supporter of Erdogan to oppose a coup of a popularly elected leader, a coup that does not seem to be supported by the political opposition or by a majority of the Turkish population. Even in a bad democracy shit like this does not belong. Again, how can anyone support the violent removal of an elected leader. I find some of these reactions baffling. And how should the civilian population react to this? If they support their elected leader what should they do? Back down and let the unelected military do their thing? Supporting this is honestly fucking disgusting.

Kolx

If you're shooting people you don't deserve to takeover, you deserve to be put on trial. Some here are supporting this shit? There is no evidence this won't end in 100s of deaths and a military rule.

nynt9

That is exactly what Erdogan doesn't want though. He can't really win a legit election through the support of the people. The electoral fraud and other shit he's pulled is well documented at this point.

Kathian

Banned
Please guys its easy to blame us being Erdogan supporters for not wanting a coup. It has brought nothing but despair to us in our past.

Quite true but let's be honest since the last election Erdogans domestic security policy has not just collapsed; its been a disaster.

trembli0s

Stop being so ignorant. People who are against Erdogan are also against the coup. 90% of the coup supporters until now have been western people. The military is not the solution

The military is the ONLY solution when strong men start abrogating Constitutional powers by fraud and fiat.

Kalor

I'm watching a Periscope with people standing on the top of tanks and it's crazy to see. I wonder where the military will go from here.

Elaborate.

CNN just shows everything with loud gun shots, cameras directly on the street. BBC just shows some people walking around with no sound from the scene.

CNN feels like they broadcast a sporting event while the BBC actually discusses issues and facts. just how it feels i can't really listen to much atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom