• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Fire

I'm from Turkey. Islamism wins if this coup fails. Turkey loses.

Me too. Islamism wins? The coup is led by Fethullah. If they win turkey will fall.

How does islamism win? Has turkey been a state that supports islanism until now? No, so why would it change?

Why do you think turkey loses? The people are all out on the streets. If the people win, how does turkey lose? Turkey is its people.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
So many ignorant people in here, smh. All political parties, even the leading kurdish party, people from all poltical spectrums oppose this coup. The only ones supporting it are people who have nothing to do with Turkey.

jelly

Amazing how many people we have in here who actually support Erdogan.

Disgusting.

I think there is quite a few Turks who have really strong national pride, the types that don't think the armenian genocide happened for example. Kinda like Japanese pride after WWII. They can't acknowledge what they did and get really blinkered and dangerous.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
What the hell, is there a specific reason as to firing with F16s?? Surely the anti-coup protesters aren't posing that much of a threat...

This footage is from way earlier at the very beginning of this. That's not aimed at protestors whatsoever, and things had just started. Notice the kids calmly swinging in the bottom right.

Condom

Yeah, I'm sure you've got some other solution that's going to work real well. Turkey sure has been moving in a beautiful direction in recent years.

Oh wait.

Yeah you people definitely have not learned from other coups. Enjoy Erdogan-stan being implemented lightning fast after this. Either that or an El Sisi kind of military dictatorship

Jackpot

Banned
fuck, some are saying it's Fethullah Gulen behind the coupe.
Fucking shit. Isn't that the dude that is rather anti secularism and very pro conservative Islam?

Turkish Naval Forces announced that they reject and is not supporting the coup. Thank god.

Rumours on twitter being that Fethullah Gülen is the apparent mastermind of coup or factions close to him.

PLEASE STOP POSTING WITHOUT SOURCES

nynt9

Me too. Islamism wins? The coup is led by Fethullah. If they win turkey will fall.

Wow does islamism win? Has turkey been a state that supports islanism until now? No, so why would it change?

Why do you think turkey loses? The people are all out on the streets. If the people win, how does turkey lose? Turkey is its people.

There is no evidence that Fethullah is actually behind the coup.

wrowa

Luckily? Are you f'ing kidding me? You'd rather have an islamic state run by a dictator, implementing laws that impede human rights and normal values?

You get what you deserve I guess.

I'll refrain from saying what I really want to say because I dont want to be banned.

It's dangerous to make statements like yours when the situation is as unclear as it is right now. There's no way to tell right now whether the coup succeeding would be better or worse for Turkey and if it would indeed lead to a more democratic Turkey.

People really should wait for more information before deciding to support a coup like this. This is not something you should make up your mind about in an hour or two.

Mr.Sumal

If you're shooting people you don't deserve to takeover, you deserve to be put on trial. Some here are supporting this shit? There is no evidence this won't end in 100s of deaths and a military rule.

it wont end up in military rule

its a divided military and there are hoping erdogan gives up

shit blew up in their face

bounchfx

So many ignorant people in here, smh. All political parties, even the leading kurdish party, people from all poltical spectrums oppose this coup. The only ones supporting it are people who have nothing to do with Turkey.

Is it that people generally support erdogan or that they just think this is the wrong way to go about it?

I think there is quite a few Turks who have really strong national pride, the types that don't think the armenian genocide happened for example. Kinda like Japanese pride after WWII. They can't acknowledge what they did and get really blinkered and dangerous.
Ugh.

Don't remind me about the whole genocide issue.

antonz

Of course they will say this, otherwise they are fucked afterwards during the elections if they supported it. All parties have to say this otherwise forget about them being able to run.

That and if the Coup fails Erdogan would have them all arrested and imprisoned. Hell as corrupt as he is probably will do that anyways. Claim he has evidence and make them all disappear into a dark cell

Yeah you people definitely have not learned from other coups. Enjoy Erdogan-stan being implemented lightning fast after this. Either that or an El Sisi kind of military dictatorship
Yeah mate, military coups have never worked to the benefit of democracy.

Again, oh wait....

nynt9

Reuters said the exact opposite. The first army division would say that
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-eu-idUSKCN0ZV2NE

"It looks like a relatively well orchestrated coup by a substantial body of the military, not just a few colonels," the source told Reuters.
"They control several strategic points in Istanbul. Given the scale of the operation, it is difficult to imagine they will stop short of prevailing," the source said.

Oxn

Shouldnt the people doing the coup make sure they win by all means necessary?

Cause if they fail, isnt that a death sentence for them?

Faustek

Kids on swings in the foreground. Surreal.

Well what about it? People have propagated that we need a war, some say nukes.
If war happens this is nothing. Those kids are still alive, if they are lucky the only thing that will happen to them is that they actually get a grave. War isn't pretty, you either chose to fight and die or refuse to fight and die and the best you can hope for is that there is someone left to mourn you. Ask yourself what happened to the lost boys of Sudan, where did all the people in Dadaab or Kakuma come from?

Telling civilians to flood the streets in the midst of a cup strikes me as utterly temerary.

Depends on what you want, if this is a coup you are against and strongly believe you will get fucked if your side loses you will propagate the idea that your followers need to stand up. Be it their heads or not.

Chaos17

Really? These are people and you think it's somehow noble not to shoot them? Wtf is wrong with this thread?

Look, not all people had the chance to not being shot by military (in genral in conflct/protest) so yes I'm glad THAT crew didn't do it under pressure.
So last thing you've to is to jump to conclusion about me while I'm hoping from the start and 10+ pages that less people would die in that coup!
Praying for they safety.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Is it that people generally support erdogan or that they just think this is the wrong way to go about it?

Half of the country supports Erdogan, I don't, but a lot more than half are opposed to this coup. The past has tought us better.

Walpurgis

Banned
CNN just shows everything with loud gun shots, cameras directly on the street. BBC just shows some people walking around with no sound from the scene.

CNN feels like they broadcast a sporting event while the BBC actually discusses issues and facts. just how it feels i can't really listen to much atm.
That's just how CNN reports. "Terror in Orlando", for example, had a title sequence... In fact, they title everything and give it a sequence like it's an episode of Lost.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

How does islamism win? Has turkey been a state that supports islanism until now? No, so why would it change?

Your boy Erdogan has eroded the secular constitution and changed the law to try and make his formerly ceremonial position that of a dictator. His party has Islamist roots and he's oppressed any dissent in the press. He has jailed anyone who criticizes him.

Your post history on this topic is embarrassing.

No fan of coups or violence, but Erdogan is a shitstain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom