• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
Of course no one would support a small,failing coup.

Like,even if you DID support it and want it to succeed, why would you EVER make that official before it actually succeeded?

Come on people

The rebels right now are basically politcal lambs to the slaughter that will give Erdogan insane amount of leeway to do whatever he wants with the laws in the country.

Red Fire

So many ignorant people in here, smh. All political parties, even the leading kurdish party, people from all poltical spectrums oppose this coup. The only ones supporting it are people who have nothing to do with Turkey.

Yes this is what I've been saying but then people jump on me and say i was the ignorant one lol

MMaRsu

It's dangerous to make statements like yours when the situation is as unclear as it is right now. There's no way to tell right now whether the coup succeeding would be better or worse for Turkey and if it would indeed lead to a more democratic Turkey.

People really should wait for more information before deciding to support a coup like this. This is not something you should make up your mind about in an hour or two.

As long as Erdogan has been in power there has been less and less democracy in the country and government.

His opposers have been put in jail, the news under his control.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

nynt9

What the hell is this? Hijab not needed in Turkey? Come on man.

The hijab is not worn by at least half the country's woman, most likely. Some Turkish Muslims are pretty liberal with their following of the religion. It is indeed not considered necessary by the country's women and Turkey doesn't have sharia law (yet) so women aren't forced to wear it against their will.

So yeah, it's not needed?

goomba

Banned
Im no fan of Erdogan but he was democratically elected and thus I'm surprised so many support a coup.

Reminds me of what happened to the first democratically elected government in Egypt.

Some only seem to support democracy when the party they support win.

Ennosuke

So many ignorant people in here, smh. All political parties, even the leading kurdish party, people from all poltical spectrums oppose this coup. The only ones supporting it are people who have nothing to do with Turkey.

A coup is never a good thing, it is a mistake. But Erdogan doesn't worship democracy and is a mistake as well. A shame for humanity

I think there is quite a few Turks who have really strong national pride, the types that don't think the armenian genocide happened for example. Kinda like Japanese pride after WWII. They can't acknowledge what they did and get really blinkered and dangerous.

Turkish pride is a huge thing, abusing emotions and religion is common place.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Shouldnt the people doing the coup make sure they win by all means necessary?

Cause if they fail, isnt that a death sentence for them?

Yes. At this point the soldiers on the bridge are fighting for their lives more or less. Being lynched by Erdogan supporters is probably the best scenario for them if the coup fails.

Regginator

Shouldnt the people doing the coup make sure they win by all means necessary?

Cause if they fail, isnt that a death sentence for them?

Not sure what the Turkish law is about failed coups, but if it's anything like the majority of countries worldwide, you could bet your ass it's a death sentence.

Uhyve

Sky news are reporting

The Commander of Turkey's "First Army" division says those attempting the coup are a small faction and "nothing to worry about".

http://news.sky.com/story/live-turkish-army-says-taken-power-over-country-10503062

07-minister6uqnn.jpg

Worth noting that Erdogan purged the military a while ago to stop this from happening. This can go either way at this point. If he survives this he will definitely go full on dictator mode and wipe out anyone opposed to him.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
What a week. I was in Nice the day before the terror, and am still very close. My father and sister is in Turkey right now. Really hope this doesnt end in a bloodbath. My thoughts are with everybody in Turkey right now.

Im no fan of Erdogan but he was democratically elected and thus I'm surprised so many support a coup.

Reminds me of what happened to the first democratically elected government in Egypt.

You seem to start from the premise that democracy is perfect and infallible.

Mr.Sumal

it doesnt matter what outsiders think when the people in turkey dont support this. they are out in the streets to stop the council of mayhem

The hijab is not worn by at least half the country's woman, most likely. Some Turkish Muslims are pretty liberal with their following of the religion. It is indeed not considered necessary by the country's women and Turkey doesn't have sharia law (yet) so women aren't forced to wear it against their will.

So yeah, it's not needed?

If women want to wear it let them. Outright banning is crazy, which is what I feel the original poster was insinuating. He was being discriminatory against the woman based simply on her Hijab. That's bigoted in my eyes.

Hesemonni

Banned
If the faction of the army trying the coup was such a small group, why did they even try it? It seemed failed from the get go...

"Surviving" this will just give Erdogan a boost.

Chronoja

"Confirmed it"???

"There are reports that" is the definition of unconfirmed.

Anyone who's been watching the bridge will have seen at least the flag carrier going down after gunfire. At least 3 people were being carried away from the bridge as it settled down a bit. People were definitely hurt in some regards.

antonz

It's quite amazing how contradictory the info being spread around now is.

Best tool to try and counter a coup is control the narrative. Even if the coup is on the way to being a complete success in this day and age of social media its very powerful to try and make it look like a complete shitshow. You deter people who might support it etc. while getting your supporters all excited and ready to support.

Your post contains at least three factual errors.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
it doesnt matter what outsiders think when the people in turkey dont support this. they are out in the streets to stop the council of mayhem

You can't talk for everyone in Turkey. People would go in the street to stop those against the coup as much as the other way around. Same thing happened in Egypt.

We really have people in this thread telling their friends and family to go outside in a warzone?

Climb your simple ass under the bed and wait it out.

Mr.Sumal

just a few minutes ago people assumed this coup was a success

control of airspace, control of media networks, infrastructure

bloody Erdogan was getting interviewed by Whats App
it was shock and awe by the rebels

they will retreat when the turkish army restores peace and order

Klyka

Banned
If the faction of the army trying the coup was such a small group, why did they even try it? It seemed failed from the get go...

"Surviving" this will just give Erdogan a boost.

They probably hoped that the people and parties and such would join them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom