• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speely

Banned
It's quite amazing how contradictory the info being spread around now is.

Thinking the same. It worries me, as it implies (in my eyes) that there is no power stable enough to establish a consistent source of info. That means things could potentially become even worse, depending on what is actually happening between the sides involved.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yeah, not sure how much more of this I can take. Gonna need some rest. If I just fall asleep I hope I wake up in a slightly better world tomorrow. Stay safe everybody

Kolx

Look, not all people had the chance to not being shot by military (in genral in conflct/protest) so yes I'm glad THAT crew didn't do it under pressure.
So last thing you've to is to jump to conclusion about me while I'm hoping from the start and 10+ pages that less people would die in that coup!
Praying for they safety.
NO ONE should die. The army generals behind this should be treated as criminals if they're willing to get to the throne on people's bodies.

Corto

If the faction of the army trying the coup was such a small group, why did they even try it? It seemed failed from the get go...

If it's indeed that small and insignificant the government loyal divisions would stop them. This is still too fluid...

How can it be a small coup with the military taking over many buildings and airports( I don't see how the coup even failed; people are just saying they did without evidence) ? It means that it isn't small or the other parts of the military aren't doing anything against the coup, and basically letting the coup happen.

It looks like the military got control and afterwards people not supporting the coup are protesting. Either the protests will disperse after awhile while some people getting killed or the army retreats.

Why would a woman otherwise wear a hijab, indoors?

It is downgrading for a woman as far as I am concerned.

Because it's her choice. Who the hell are you to say if it's downgrading. Muslim women who choose to wear it find it empowering or choose to because they want to.

Disgusting comment that ironically is sexist because you're insinuating women can't have the freedom of choice to choose whether to wear the hijab or not which in turkey is a choice fwiw.

Get outta here with that bigoted comment.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
it doesnt matter what outsiders think when the people in turkey dont support this. they are out in the streets to stop the council of mayhem

You don't believe in the secular ideals of the founding of the Turkish Republic in 1923? Ataturk would be rolling in his grave right now at the Erdogan defence force here...

If coup fails then secular Turkey is finished.

Erdogan is a scumbag. I hope he gets taken out.
There are some reports out there that he's already gone from the country, but afaik nothing is confirmed. Only confirmed info we have is that the POS wants people to get themselves killed for him while he hides wherever he is.

nynt9

If coup fails then secular Turkey is finished.

Erdogan is a scumbag. I hope he gets taken out.

Yeah if Erdogan weathers this I don't see how he won't crack down super hard with an iron fist and crush all future possibilities of opposition.

Because it's her choice. Who the hell are you to say if it's downgrading. Muslim women who choose to wear it find it empowering or choose to because they want to.

Disgusting comment that ironically comes across as sexist because you're insinuating women can't have the freedom of choice to choose whether to wear the hijab or not which in turkey is a choice fwiw.

It is a choice in Turkey, unlike in many other majority muslim countries, where women don't have a choice and are forced to wear it! Nice to try to point it as empowering though.

Out 1

If the faction of the army trying the coup was such a small group, why did they even try it? It seemed failed from the get go...

"Surviving" this will just give Erdogan a boost.

This doesn't seem like a small faction.

Whoever prevails, this will have terrible repercussions. I don't understand how anyone can cheer for this.

qazqaNii

The mosque next me just read a "sela" the thingy when one dies, dont know the english word. And after that they announced that people should pray ans not sleep for the people.

Mr.Sumal

You can't talk for everyone in Turkey. People would go in the street to stop those against the coup as much as the other way around. Same thing happened in Egypt.
Morsi never stood a chance against the military appartus

they were tanking the economy thus forcing people to go in the streets to overthrow morsi

these rebels in turkey dont have the majority will to kick out erdogan

What needs confirming here? This was aired live on CNN. We saw it happen.
Perhaps reading what I wrote and what it was in response to would be helpful. I said that saying something is confirmed *based on* "there are reports of" is not appropriate or actual confirmation.

Red Fire

You seem to continue to be the ignorant one. Why the fuck would anyone say that they support it before it actually succeeds?

Are you serious lol

There is a difference betweem waiting and not saying that you support it, and actively going out and protesting, you know?

Forsete

I think it's downgrading to assume Muslim women can't decide what to wear for themselves, now that's sexist of you.

Disgusting comment that ironically is sexist because you're insinuating women can't have the freedom of choice to choose whether to wear the hijab or not which in turkey is a choice fwiw.

Get outta here with that bigoted comment.

she is being interviewed of course she would wear her hijab if she wears it in public

and about the second statement.... may knowledge help you

Sure, I can see your points.

I still think a lot of women are forced to cover their hair. The woman in question, possibly not.

qcf x2

Fuck Erdogan, hope this coup succeeds.

You realize at this point the military would likely have to murder many civilians for this to happen, right? And you want it to succeed so you can feel good in your ivory tower somewhere in a country that is not in the midst of an attempted military coup, right? FFS the kneejerk on this forum the past couple of months has gotten out of control, people are saying some very scary things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom