• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakun

You would think that if this was a small fraction then we'd be hearing more about the loyal military fighting back, right?

maybe they don't want all out war and think with the Erdogan supporters out there they will not be able to continue this for much longer?

RangerX

Banned
People seem to think being secular is synonymous with liberal values. The military aren't known for implementing civil liberties. Erdogan is an authoritarian fucker but he seems to have a lot of support among the populace. A coup is not going to make things more peaceful.

Lender

These images on the bridge now are insane.

screenshot2016-07-16aq2k94.jpg

Markoman

I've once again reached the point where I don't know what to believe anymore.
I came to this thread shortly after OT started, with a news channel running in the background now. Still, I know nothing. This is like an information and propaganda overkill.

Majukun

from the footage on sky the shots seem to be warning ones..people just lied on the ground and then standed up booing like it was nothing...

Red Fire

You realize at this point the military would likely have to murder many civilians for this to happen, right? And you want it to succeed so you can feel good in your ivory tower somewhere in a country that is not in the midst of an attempted military coup, right? FFS the kneejerk on this forum the past couple of months has gotten out of control, people are saying some very scary things.

It has reached a very ridiculous level..

Violet_0

Banned
The amount of Erdogan supporters here makes me sick.
do we define everyone who's against the coup as Erdogan supporters? Because that would make me one too, and in my opinion Erdogan is a huge fucking prick - but a democratically elected one, who shouldn't be removed by means of military force. This whole situation strongly reminds me of Egypt

nynt9

Good for them, it's their democratic rights.

What are you even talking about anymore? You just keep posting "democratic" and ignoring all challenges to your comments.

do we define everyone who's against the coup as Erdogan supporters? Because that would make me one too, and in my opinion Erdogan is a huge fucking prick - but a democratically elected one, who shouldn't be removed by means of military force. This whole situation strongly reminds me of Egypt

What is the best way to remove a fascist autocrat who controls the election process? Curious.

Steel

Banned
I've once again reached the point where I don't know what to believe anymore.
I came to this thread shortly after OT started, with a news channel running in the background now. Still, I know nothing. This is like an information and propaganda overkill.

It'll be at least a week before things become clear.

Sure, I can see your points.

I still think a lot of women are forced to cover their hair. The woman in question, possibly not.

So now it's gone from questioning this woman's choice to many women now being forced wearing hijab?

Not that it's untrue but come on, you wanna move the goalposts to another argument?

And that's one hell of an assumption to make about the woman, especially so when Turkey doesn't force the Hijab and is actually also ironically one of the few countries to ban the burqa (which isn't the hijab btw).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
People have to understand that there will be protesters in favor and against the coup. Most in favor of the coup are likely to stay inside. The people against it who do come out, in greater numbers inevitably for now, will gather in places where the military stands, such as the bridge to Bosphorus. So mere footage of one such location doesn't say much. If the military gets the upper hand than many pro-coup will come out.

Corto

The reports that this is some small faction seem strange

I'm sure there's a lot of media counter-information flying around. Trying to rile up the people for or against the coup. If the coup forces need to fight people on the streets than most of potential support will be lost.

Klyka

Banned
why would the military let the citizens arrest them? if Erdogan wins they will disappear.

this is what I am wondering.

Would the soldiers really let their tanks and such get taken over by civvies if they know they will all be killed if they lose?

Or do they have such strict orders to not hurt civilians?

Then why are they shooting them on the bridge?

Muddy situations these.

its about to be GAME OVER

It's not a game.

You realize at this point the military would likely have to murder many civilians for this to happen, right? And you want it to succeed so you can feel good in your ivory tower somewhere in a country that is not in the midst of an attempted military coup, right? FFS the kneejerk on this forum the past couple of months has gotten out of control, people are saying some very scary things.
I think a lot of people are going to be murdered and oppressed because of this regardless at this point. Might as well not leave it in the hands of a madman.

The reports that this is some small faction seem strange

Things are murky and reports are unreliable but common sense suggests that this coup involves people are who high enough in the chain of command to effect major troop movements (particularly towards the major cities which is not the usual army stomping ground) and coordinate to seize major infrastructure within a few hours.

'Small faction' my ass.

Faustek

Because it's her choice. Who the hell are you to say if it's downgrading. Muslim women who choose to wear it find it empowering or choose to because they want to.

Disgusting comment that ironically is sexist because you're insinuating women can't have the freedom of choice to choose whether to wear the hijab or not which in turkey is a choice fwiw.

Get outta here with that bigoted comment.

You know I do agree with you but at the same time I'm very against anything saying it's a law and enforces it. Shouldn't even be a question here. It should always be a free choice without outer interference.

Egypt situation is okay in the long run. At least we got rid of that islamist dictator.

The same can't be said for Turkey.

Regginator

What are you even talking about anymore? You just keep posting "democratic" and ignoring all challenges to your comments.

It's because apparently we're at a crossroads and my definition of a democracy - the voice of the majority - isn't the same as some posters here. Regardless, I think we can both agree that the civilians are in their rights to perform public arrests, wouldn't you say?

kirblar

There was never going to be a happy outcome here. It's a choice of least bad options.

nynt9

this is what I am wondering.

Would the soldiers really let their tanks and such get taken over by civvies if they know they will all be killed if they lose?

Or do they have such strict orders to not hurt civilians?

Then why are they shooting them on the bridge?

Muddy situations these.

It's not a game.

I think every soldier is faced with the decision of carrying on with the coup at the cost of civilian lives or surrendering. Some pick the former, some pick the latter.

It's because apparently we're at a crossroads and my definition of a democracy - the voice of the majority - isn't the same as some posters here. Regardless, I think we can both agree that the civilians are in their rights to perform public arrests, wouldn't you say?

Ok, I asked you to prove that the majority actually wants Erdogan. Can you prove that? Without citing rigged election results? Without referring to a media channel he controls?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If the entire First Turkish Army is against the coup. The small units in Instanbul would have been history a long time ago.

Pretty much. We don't see any counter action by some other army or security forces against the rebels, just civilians trying to overwhelm the rebels. So it's a bit strange.

Also what's up with the Turkish army from Iraq, where did they go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom