• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coup is a failure apparently.

Great night for democracy. Fuck off popcorn disgunbegud pro coup posters.
do we define everyone who's against the coup as Erdogan supporters? Because that would make me one too, and in my opinion Erdogan is a huge fucking prick - but a democratically elected one, who shouldn't be removed by means of military force. This whole situation strongly reminds me of Egypt

lmao

Sijil

If this coup fails, then say goodbye to the secular and civil Turkey you once knew, AKP and the fundamentalists will strike with a vengeance.

charsace

This is happening because there are people in the government who think Erdogan is dangerous. These guys seem to be fighting for democracy, which is losing in Turkey up until this point.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This coup seems to have no backing from the general public at all. I hope they leave without a bloodbath, I can't see it succeeding without it.

I hate Erdogan, but if even Istanbul isn't supporting this then it has no chance.

It's because apparently we're at a crossroads and my definition of a democracy - the voice of the majority - isn't the same as some posters here. Regardless, I think we can both agree that the civilians are in their rights to perform public arrests, wouldn't you say?
There is such a thing as tyranny of the majority you know.

A "democracy" without a free press, without civil liberties, is a democracy in name only. Erdogan is a tyrant and I hope he gets captured and tried for rigging his election at some point.

MUnited83

For you.

Once again another one that has no idea what democracy is. Lmao. How in the hell is GAF so full of Erdogan stans? Holy fucking shit. I swear you guys would defend fucking Hitler back in the day.

Mimosa97

If the coup fails then Turkey is done. Erdogan will crack down on all dissenters and Turkey's secularist days will be over.

You can't win against the islamists. They'll always beat you as they have the numbers with them and they're ready to die for their cause.

oti

Banned
Seeing kids on the streets makes me so angry. WTF. I know that Turkey is a very patriotic country but this is not the time.

Pusherman

Boy, I sure hope those brave soldiers are successful in liberating those poor puppets of Erdogan with their freedom bullets. I can only hope that the military, every country’s most democratic institution, can right the ship and won’t be deterred by opposition from civilians, political parties and other such silly things.

Wasnt the Turkish left already making good electoral inroads? This failed coup will only strengthen Erdogan.

This is like a reverse Hugo Chavez experience.

Joeytj

Banned
Question to TurkeyGAF or people more in the know:

How possible or likely is it that this is all an elaborate show by Erdogan to seize more power?

I know there's a bunch of accusations against Erdogan that he's an autocratic, fascist dictator, but well, political opposition in many third world countries regularly shout this against the ruling government (not saying it isn't always true).

Has it ever been proven that Erdogan is capable of such deception?

trembli0s

This coup seems to have no backing from the general public at all. I hope they leave without a bloodbath

That's because the Islamists are out on the streets while the Secularist/progressives are inside their houses.

Turkey is going to turn into a broke ass Saudi Arabia where women can't drive at this rate.

Mr.Sumal

This is happening because there are people in the government who think Erdogan is dangerous. These guys seem to be fighting for democracy, which is losing in Turkey up until this point.

they're not fighting for democracy

its just a cover to take power we don't even know when it'll become a democracy again

While the coup may be undemocratic, it is likely that democracy will be mostly suspended post-coup if it fails as well. It's a lose-lose for democracy. The real difference is secularity vs islamic government. That's a different question though.

nynt9

There is such a thing as tyranny of the majority you know.

A "democracy" without a free press, without civil liberties, is a democracy in name only. Erdogan is a tyrant and I hope he gets captured and tried for rigging his election at some point.

This post will go ignored by the Erdogan stans.

That's because the Islamists are out on the streets while the Secularist/progressives are inside their houses.

Turkey is going to turn into a broke ass Saudi Arabia where women can't drive at this rate.

Yeah that's generally been the case with Turkish liberalism. They're more pacifist than the other side. Except for Gezi, they don't really unite.

Egypt doesn't have the history of successful coups that Turkey does. It's part of their role to step in when the government veers away from being secular.

yet large scale public opposition is occurring right now

if you think this is just army heroes bullshit then surprise these guys just want crazy powers like Erdogan

Regginator

Ok, I asked you to prove that the majority actually wants Erdogan. Can you prove that? Without citing rigged election results? Without referring to a media channel he controls?

I must have missed your question, I apologize. Anyway. The fact that he's chosen president of a democratic country should speak for itself. But since you brought up the situation of alleged election frauds, I should be the one to ask you for the receipts, not the other way around. So while we're at it, show me objective facts that the election was rigged.

trembli0s

Wasnt the Turkish left already making good electoral inroads? This failed coup will only strengthen Erdogan.

They were, but Erdogan has taken steps to essentially abrogate the Constitution and make himself a dictator.

Same thing that happened in Venezuela. When the party loses power they remove the system's checks and balances to stay in power.

they're not fighting for democracy

its just a cover to take power we don't even know when it'll become a democracy again

Assuming it is a faction of the military that is doing this, they are likely not fighting for democracy or power, but for secularism vs islamic government. The military in Turkey has previously removed Islamic governments and replaced them with secular ones in accordance with their constitution.

Wow, this is nuts. It's impossible to know what's really going on.

Given the scale of this coup, the amount of hardware this military has and the logistical effort that seems to have been involved, I don't think reports that this is just a "small faction" are true. The main concern though is that if the military is indeed split, this could lead to civil war.

Is there any news on the current status of government buildings?

Joeytj

Banned

Depends, actually. The opposition just came out against the coup, so if it all goes bad, Erdogan could likewise just bee seen as too weak of a President to hold the country together.

I don't know, but none of this seems like a "by-the-book" coup or like it will lead to "logical" conclusion, successful or not.

If it's indeed that small and insignificant the government loyal divisions would stop them. This is still too fluid...
I think it depends whether or not the Top Brass are actually in control of the forces outside Istanbul. There's been a huge purge of opponents of Erdogan in the highest echolons of the military, not much in the lower ranks. If the Colonels and below officers sympathize with the coup then there is not much the generals can do.

And not moving against the rebelling forces in Istanbul might be enough to allow the coup to succeed (considering there is a SERIOUS concentration of military firepower there in Istanbul, they even got the local air forces on their side).

We'll have to see how things play out.

nynt9

I must have missed your question, I apologize. Anyway. The fact that he's chosen president of a democratic country should speak for itself. But since you brought up the situation of alleged election frauds, I should be the one to ask you for the receipts, not the other way around. So while we're at it, show me objective facts that the election was rigged.

I posted it at least a dozen times, including in the OP.

Mimosa97

This post will go ignored by the Erdogan stans.

Where do all these Erdogan fans come from ?

I didn't know there were so many Turks on Gaf in the first place and the only ones I know (like you) are very critical of Erdogan.

Liberal GAF has islamist supporters lmao

sflufan

Banned
I can imagine the sheer confusion at the Pentagon and CIA right now as they try to figure out which Turkish units are on whose side.

You can bet the NSA is working overtime on that signals intelligence.

Klyka

Banned
Question to TurkeyGAF or people more in the know:

How possible or likely is it that this is all an elaborate show by Erdogan to seize more power?

I know there's a bunch of accusations against Erdogan that he's an autocratic, fascist dictator, but well, political opposition in many third world countries regularly shout this against the ruling government (not saying it isn't always true).

Has it ever been proven that Erdogan is capable of such deception?

I don't think it's that far, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if he (after having recently removed a large amount of people against him in the military) knew about this, let it happen for it to fail and then increase his power because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom