• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is nuts. It's impossible to know what's really going on.

Given the scale of this coup, the amount of hardware this military has and the logistical effort that seems to have been involved, I don't think reports that this is just a "small faction" are true. The main concern though is that if the military is indeed split, this could lead to civil war.

Is there any news on the current status of government buildings?

Yeah the "small faction" reports seem to be utter rubbish.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
its about to be GAME OVER

You keep on calling on the doom of the faction yet they have total control over all key strategic points being supported by extensive logistics. The logistics they have alone isn't possible if it was a small faction, it's physically not possible.

This isn't exactly like Egypt, There were millions of Egyptians already in the street protesting before any army involvement, granted we replaced a turd with a slightly better smelling turd but that's besides the point.

ezrarh

Where do all these Erdogan fans come from ?

I didn't know there were so many Turks on Gaf in the first place and the only ones I know (like you) are very critical of Erdogan.

Liberal GAF has islamist supporters lmao

Shit man, when ISIS was first making headway, there were some pro ISIS guys here.

qazqaNii

A curfew has been issued at 6am turkish time, 4hrs from now. Source: haber turk, that might be the "deadline" so to say. We are still confused on what to do with our engagement party...

I must have missed your question, I apologize. Anyway. The fact that he's chosen president of a democratic country should speak for itself. But since you brought up the situation of alleged election frauds, I should be the one to ask you for the receipts, not the other way around. So while we're at it, show me objective facts that the election was rigged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elect...uring_the_Turkish_general_election,_June_2015

"Democracy in action"

How come the 'proper' army hasn't done anything to fight back and let Erdogan back into the country?

Not to kill huge numbers of people? If the army really wanted to hundreds would be reported dead already. To me they seem to scaring people and not outright massacring people. Doing that would make the coup instantly fail.

Walpurgis

Banned
Can someone explain in short what a military coupe is? For dummies...
When the military stops listening to the government and actually takes over to form their own. It seems like the Turkish government still has some soldiers on their side though so I don't believe that it is the entire military. I have no source on that though. Just a sense from this thread.

why would the military let the citizens arrest them? if Erdogan wins they will disappear.

I guess if you operate under the assumption this is a Constitutional coup, the point wouldn't be to kill the citizens you're trying to support.

I'm sure they'll be considering this as the rope snaps their necks next week.

nynt9

Where do all these Erdogan fans come from ?

I didn't know there were so many Turks on Gaf in the first place and the only ones I know (like you) are very critical of Erdogan.

Liberal GAF has islamist supporters lmao

It's not necessarily just Turks. People from Islamic countries (Egypt, Saudi Arabia etc) love Erdogan. Every time I encounter a person from such a country and I mention I'm Turkish, they say "Erdogan is a great, strong leader!"

He is the person who brought the most secular Muslim state to heel after all.

oti

Banned
Can someone explain in short what a military coupe is? For dummies...

giphy.gif

Markoman

Question to TurkeyGAF or people more in the know:

How possible or likely is it that this is all an elaborate show by Erdogan to seize more power?

I know there's a bunch of accusations against Erdogan that he's an autocratic, fascist dictator, but well, political opposition in many third world countries regularly shout this against the ruling government (not saying it isn't always true).

Has it ever been proven that Erdogan is capable of such deception?

Yes, I've been thinking of that, too.....if you want total power, stage an attack on you.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
this is what I am wondering.

Would the soldiers really let their tanks and such get taken over by civvies if they know they will all be killed if they lose?

Or do they have such strict orders to not hurt civilians?

Then why are they shooting them on the bridge?

Muddy situations these.

It's not a game.

Jesus christ, they won't be killed.
Most of the foot soldiers are probably also Erdogan supporters and are only following orders they don't agree with. After seeing the whole country unite against the coup they probably were convinced to disobey their orders since they didn't really want to follow them anyway.

cilonen

So was all the private plane country hopping tales bullshit?

BBC reported via Reuters that Erdogan was on holiday at the seaside resort of Marmaris and has this photo of him speaking to reporters there.

efc9a451-e267-4f68-a417-48d969a02195.jpg

dakun

No idea why people keep saying it's democracy in action when literally no one on the political playing field (apparently) seems to back this coup:
@HDNER
#BREAKING Opposition parties reject the military coup attempt

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/op...empt.aspx?pageID=238&nID=101670&NewsCatID=341

holy shit will people stop acting like this is news? The opposition party members have been prosecuted and imprisoned for years. They are smart enough to cover their asses for an eventual failed attempt. They know there would be no opposition left if they support the coup and Erdogan remains.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Boy, I sure hope those brave soldiers are successful in liberating those poor puppets of Erdogan with their freedom bullets. I can only hope that the military, every country’s most democratic institution, can right the ship and won’t be deterred by opposition from civilians, political parties and other such silly things.

The Turkish army has for decades been the institution keeping Turkey on the path of secularism, and not turning into whatever it is you call the current Arab states. Egypt was a prime example of what political Islam does to ALL citizens living in a country. Once again, the Turkish military have a constitutional right to insure the country never goes down a path where religion is allowed into politics. Erdogan was doing exactly that.

bidguy

Banned
why didnt they find out where erdogan is first before starting to block bridges ? i mean once you got him arrested it should be all but over right ?

Klyka

Banned
Jesus christ, they won't be killed.
Most of the foot soldiers are probably also Erdogan supporters and are only following orders they don't agree with. After seeing the whole country unite against the coup they probably were convinced to disobey their orders since they didn't really want to follow them anyway.

imprisoned for life then

MUnited83

For you.

Chaos17

I think the safest and easiest way to end this is to arrest Erdogan, his call for supporters on the street was irresponsible

It seems he flew in his plane right at the start of this storm, so he is not anymore in Turkey but I agree.
Sources have been posted some page back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom