• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

Coup sinking fast
Public officials of the government rejecting is kind of obvious? And with the army it is weird: It's clear that this thing is lead from a splinter group, but nothing is really going up against them, except a few protests, which won't stop them from taking over the parliament and government ministries in the short term (and thereby formally making the coup succeed, at least initially)

A civil war is looming

So was all the private plane country hopping tales bullshit?

BBC reported via Reuters that Erdogan was on holiday at the seaside resort of Marmaris and has this photo of him speaking to reporters there.

efc9a451-e267-4f68-a417-48d969a02195.jpg
I think this was a while ago. Don't know where he is now.

TyrantII

It's because apparently we're at a crossroads and my definition of a democracy - the voice of the majority - isn't the same as some posters here. Regardless, I think we can both agree that the civilians are in their rights to perform public arrests, wouldn't you say?

A majority votes to remove the Constitution.

Is that a Liberal Democracy?

Democracy is shit, which is why most countries are Republics and fight to enshrine minority rights, and limiting power.

Mr.Sword

Are they really shooting civilians who are protesting? These fucking thugs how can they claim they are for democracy while shooting civilians???

I have seen more than one video on twitter but can someone confirm this???

Majukun

Question to TurkeyGAF or people more in the know:

How possible or likely is it that this is all an elaborate show by Erdogan to seize more power?

I know there's a bunch of accusations against Erdogan that he's an autocratic, fascist dictator, but well, political opposition in many third world countries regularly shout this against the ruling government (not saying it isn't always true).

Has it ever been proven that Erdogan is capable of such deception?

he would need to find a lot of people in the military ready to die for him,or at least take an extreme punishment,since if erdogan "wins",everyone involved in teh coup is gonna be charged with treason

Shiggy

Not to kill huge numbers of people? If the army really wanted to hundreds would be reported dead already. To me they seem to scaring people and not outright massacring people. Doing that would make the coup instantly fail.

I was talking about claims this is just a small fraction of the army. With no other parts of the army fighting back, that claim seems a bit dubious.

Faustek

Yeah and in turkey that's the case.

And that is shitty to say the least :/

If this coup fails, then say goodbye to the secular and civil Turkey you once knew, AKP and the fundamentalists will strike with a vengeance.

If the coup succeeds be prepared for Civil War.

There is no happy scenario anywhere in this. This is nothing to be happy about, we can hope and wish for the best outcome but please understand that even if you see this as the other side of the tunnel, a way out of the darkness the road that Turkey might be forced to walk is filled with the dead. There is nothing to cheer, we can hope for the best. That Erdogan is gone, that the country becomes more accepting of everyone, that whoever takes over is on that track as well and it's actually something people chose to live after.
But no, the road there? This isn't a pretty walk in the park.

trembli0s

Sounds like this coup was doomed from the start...

Not sure why they decided to do that...

The catalyst is apparently the wholesale appointment of Erdostoogies to the remaining military leadership positions which haven't already been tried and arrested.

ArjanN

Jesus christ, they won't be killed.
Most of the foot soldiers are probably also Erdogan supporters and are only following orders they don't agree with. After seeing the whole country unite against the coup they probably were convinced to disobey their orders since they didn't really want to follow them anyway.

lol wat. they don't want to shoot at cilivilians because a) they're not monsters and b) they want the support of the people.

Can someone explain in short what a military coupe is? For dummies...

A coup (short for the French phrase coup d'état and pronounced like "koo"), is an illegal takeover of power within a government. A military one is when the military attempts to usurp the power of the civilian government and take direct control. A "bloodless coup" is when a transition of power occurs without violence, but that almost never happens.

qcf x2

There was never going to be a happy outcome here. It's a choice of least bad options.

I think a lot of people are going to be murdered and oppressed because of this regardless at this point. Might as well not leave it in the hands of a madman.

If you think military control in open defiance of the will of the people --wrought by slaughtering civilians, no less-- is an improvement then I have to question your very sanity. This is not a game. Nor is it or should it be your choice of options. The choice should be among the citizens of Turkey.

18-Volt

Like the Reichstag Fire?

I doubt it though, too many parties involved.

This is getting more and more likely. Erdogan accuses Gulen for the event and several MP's vow that Gulen will be brought to justice and this will make easier to ask him return. Whole thing was a ploy to destroy Gulen sect and secure presidency. Rising fanaticism is just a cherry on top.

Corto

Jesus christ, they won't be killed.
Most of the foot soldiers are probably also Erdogan supporters and are only following orders they don't agree with. After seeing the whole country unite against the coup they probably were convinced to disobey their orders since they didn't really want to follow them anyway.

You think the coup forces would risk using pro-Erdogan supporters in their ranks? If that was the case this would have been leaked before even happening, and heads would roll.

Kolx

There are clear pictures of people being carried after being shot yet people here are calling everyone against this shit a pro Ardogan and supporting these fuckin criminals who has no support of any political group.

The Army needs to succeed. Erdogan was not supposed to survive politically after Taksim Sq.

.. or after he was implicated in corruption in 2013, or after the AKP lost its majority in parliament (initially) during last June's general election--- good thing Erdogan got a do-over! etc.. etc... it's like herpes.

reckless

EU says substantial planning.

But who the fuck does a coup on a weekend.

Reports claiming it doesn't have military command support.

God knows. What is going on exactly and what will happen.

Military commanders have been purged by Erodgon. They aren't going to support the coup its the lower level people that would.

Regginator

I posted it at least a dozen times, including in the OP.

Worth noting that whether Erdogan was democratically elected is quite dubious as every time there has been massive electoral fraud. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Elector...uring_the_Turkish_general_election,_June_2015

Those are rather sizeable wiki pages, so I won't be able to go in-depth right now, but I will try to get back after reading it casually, watching the ongoing streams, and skimming this thread as we go (wouldn't want to miss new developments, now would I?).

EU says substantial planning.

But who the fuck does a coup on a weekend.

Reports claiming it doesn't have military command support.

God knows. What is going on exactly and what will happen.
It needs to have some guys in high places supporting it. Who is managing these people otherwise and instructed them to do this.

Disgusting how people on GAF would rather have the chance of a civil war.

You are probably the same guys who still think Iraq has been liberated and brought democracy.

You guys are probably the same people who think Egypt has been saved when the army killed several thousands of people and overthrown a democratic elected government.

Truly disgusting.

Kusagari

Lol at people expecting opposition figures to publicly back a coup nobody knows the full details on.

If it fails and Erdogan is back in power they're fucked if they support it.

Arnie7

Banned
I feel some people are missing context here.

Of course in most cases a coup is never the right way to go in a democratic state.

However in this case it is very different. In Turkish history coups enshrined in constitution if democracy is under threat. Erdogan is a person who has locked up journalists and political opponents. He censors all media and controls the net. Most people supporting him on the streets are brainwashed hardliners that oppose secular movement in Turkey.

wrowa

Not if Erdogan stays in power, it will not be a democracy.

So? Erdogan weakening or abolishing Turkey's democracy doesn't mean that the forces behind the coup are fighting for a more democratic Turkey. Sure, it might be the case. But it might also not. I don't think we know yet.

Worst case, a military dictatorship surely would be even worse than what Erdogan is doing.

I'm not in support of Erdogan at all, but I think people should be more cautious before starting to support a coup whole-heartedly.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Are there people injured in the bridge? And looks like the stream's out.

oti

Banned
Some people need to read "Diplomacy for Dummies". You really think other nation's leaders would (openly) support this coup? Come on.

nynt9

If you think military control in open defiance of the will of the people --wrought by slaughtering civilians, no less-- is an improvement then I have to question your very sanity. This is not a game. Nor is it or should it be your choice of options. The choice should be among the citizens of Turkey.

Unfortunately Erdogan has taken that choice away from Turkish citizens by taking away their ability to vote fairly and have access to free press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom