• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos17

Are they really shooting civilians who are protesting? These fucking thugs how can they claim they are for democracy while shooting civilians???

I have seen more than one video on twitter but can someone confirm this???

I saw also a footage (the one on the bridge) the people weren't dead and just gone to the floor and then get up and booing at the army. The footage I saw was warning shots.
But maybe you saw other footage than me.

I didn't bookmarked it tho but was posted some page back.

And that is shitty to say the least :/

If the coup succeeds be prepared for Civil War.

There is no happy scenario anywhere in this. This is nothing to be happy about, we can hope and wish for the best outcome but please understand that even if you see this as the other side of the tunnel, a way out of the darkness the road that Turkey might be forced to walk is filled with the dead. There is nothing to cheer, we can hope for the best. That Erdogan is gone, that the country becomes more accepting of everyone, that whoever takes over is on that track as well and it's actually something people chose to live after.
But no, the road there? This isn't a pretty walk in the park.

Lol I mean in turkey it's the case they have the choice to wear or not ha my bad

Dennis

Banned
63Qceh9.png

Would be game over if true?

Who is this NTV that AFP is giving as the source?

Jibbed

I'm in Turkey right now on holiday, in the Hisaronu region in the south (Fethiye). Flown in to Dalaman airport.

Really short on details now and internet is out so I'm having to be fucked on mobile data to contact people.

Can someone advise what to do in this situation? Sleep is out the window, thanks.

antonz

The AFP is simply parroting what Turkish TV is saying. Considering how many people are recording things with their phones etc. I am fairly sure a Helicopter being shot down by a jet would be caught on camera.

If you think military control in open defiance of the will of the people --wrought by slaughtering civilians, no less-- is an improvement then I have to question your very sanity. This is not a game. Nor is it or should it be your choice of options. The choice should be among the citizens of Turkey.
I can promise you that I have no say in what actually happens, that doesn't mean I can't hope for an outcome.

Dennis

Banned
I'm in Turkey right now on holiday, in the Hisaronu region in the south (Fethiye). Flown in to Dalaman airport.

Really short on details now and internet is out so I'm having to be fucked on mobile data to contact people.

Can someone advise what to do in this situation? Sleep is out the window, thanks.

Are you in a hotel?

Stay put.

Disker

Can you stop posting without any source?

It's bloody annoying.

Don't have sources either but on the Dutch news (we have a lot of Turkish connections and people in our country) is saying that this is the case as well.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=44c_1468614128

Choppers are firing, maybe a F-16 pilot is trying to help the people and is against the coup? Who knows.

Edit: On the news in The Netherlands it keeps getting confirmed about the F-16 fighter jet and police men.

Regginator

Can you stop posting without any source?

It's bloody annoying.

I'm watching Dutch public broadcasting now (Nieuwsuur) and they're also talking about multiple dead (didn't specify if it was 17) and an army helicopter being shot down. I will post the written source when I find it.

Contact your embassy.

Monitor your embassy twitter.

Hjod

Banned

Stay put and if you can contact your embassy.

Does anybody know anything about the airport in Instanbul? Heard it was closed down but then heard another statement that said flights are still continuing at the discretion of the individual airlines.

I have family friends coming to visit in the states and they have to travel to Instanbul and then after a 7 hour layover travel down here. Their flights still say scheduled, but Turkish Airlines isn't picking up. It says "you have reached a non functioning phone number" or "your call cannot be completed as dialed".

SRG01

The AFP is simply parroting what Turkish TV is saying. Considering how many people are recording things with their phones etc. I am fairly sure a Helicopter being shot down by a jet would be caught on camera.

Yeah, we'll need video or photo sources to confirm this...

If all of them were on the SAME helicopter, then they truly are the STUPIDEST coup plotters in history.

I mean if F-16s are dispatched that must mean high command is making orders to take out these aircraft. Surely there is higher clearance needed to dispatch the Turkish Airforce than a helicopter.

Not taking sides here just making an inference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom