• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
THEY WERE DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED, DON'T YOU GET IT. WHO CARES IF THEY ACT UNDEMOCRATICALLY!

/s

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

It's honestly very funny to witness. It's like democracy is the word of God and we mustn't dare to disagree with it.

MMaRsu

I'm watching Dutch television now (Nieuwsuur) and they're also talking about multiple dead (didn't specify if it was 17) and an army helicopter being shot down. I will post the written source when I find it.

Nieuwsuur volgt alleen Twitter en het ANP..

Democracy doesnt mean anything if you cheat in the elections.

cilonen

I'm in Turkey right now on holiday, in the Hisaronu region in the south (Fethiye). Flown in to Dalaman airport.

Really short on details now and internet is out so I'm having to be fucked on mobile data to contact people.

Can someone advise what to do in this situation? Sleep is out the window, thanks.

Stay put, stay indoors. If you hear shouting / commotion outside get away from the windows.

Outside of a big city with a big active protest things should be calmer.

Tugatrix

Not sure what's happening here...

2JmCdja.gif

that's a F-16 not a chopper

MUnited83

For you.
you only like democracy when it suits you rofl

i'll never forget what you said in the cdn poli thread

I love on how you don't even try to have actual arguments. You know Erdogan is not democratic and is actively destroying democracy. Yet, you keep on jerking off to every fucking thing he does, while complaining at the same time about "undemocratic actions". You'd probably do the same with Hitler really. After all, that was all "democracy" too.

Whatever you smoke must be some good shit.

jm89

17 police officers dead apparently,their won't be a civil war rather a purge against the coupe instigators.

kirblar

If you think military control in open defiance of the will of the people --wrought by slaughtering civilians, no less-- is an improvement then I have to question your very sanity. This is not a game. Nor is it or should it be your choice of options. The choice should be among the citizens of Turkey.
It's not a game. But slavishly worshiping an ideal of "democracy" without looking at the very real consequences of allowing a man like Erdrogan to remain and consolidate power is absurdly naive.

The United States deliberately put non-democratic failsafes in our government to hedge against the tyrannies of democracy. They did the same.

I can't help but laugh whenever I read the word 'democratic' in combination with 'election' when it comes to Turkey. Strange opinions in here, really.

koji kabuto

If you support a violent take overs and think the way to change is for people go down to the streets with weapons and start shooting who ever they disagree with than don't be shocked when it happens in your country.

dakun

I'm so confused, is this coup good thing if it wins?

depends on what you want. Short Term is could mean many dead people, long term it could mean a more secular democratic Turkey compared to the route Erdogan has taken.
The Military seems far less united now than it was in the past coups, thanks to Erdogan of course.. So nobody can say for sure what will happen.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Übermatik;210133842 said:
So it's a failed coup now, is that what I'm hearing?

Looks like it. Too many demonstrators on the street.

Kusagari

So numerous people on GAF think the world should just stand by and let despot dictator shitheads ruin their countries if democratically elected(even though fraud might be involved in that).

Mr.Sword

What kind of law support this bullshit? There are shootings and people lives on the line, how is it democracy when the army can hit the reset button whenever they deem it worthy? This man was elected by millions and there is no way in hell things won't escalate with more deaths if this continue. Either it is full democracy or not, make up your mind turkey. And hats off to all the political parties who refused this shitshow of a coup.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in Turkey right now on holiday, in the Hisaronu region in the south (Fethiye). Flown in to Dalaman airport.

Really short on details now and internet is out so I'm having to be fucked on mobile data to contact people.

Can someone advise what to do in this situation? Sleep is out the window, thanks.

keep checking the gov site

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Still current at:15 July 2016
Updated:15 July 2016

Latest update: Summary - We are aware of the current developments in Turkey. We are urgently seeking more information. Until the situation becomes clearer, we advise you to avoid public places and remain vigilant

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

democratically elected

It's honestly very funny to witness. It's like democracy is the word of God and we mustn't dare to disagree with it.

Same shit happened with the Brexit thread when a glorified poll was enough for some GAF users to muzzle any form of opposition.

TyrantII

Truly disgusting.

What I find disgusting is the sizeable portion of people in here that are apologists for a anti-liberal facist, that was "elected" with questions surrounding the ballot.

Is is economically motivated, or religious? The Turkish version of I got mine, fuck you?

What about jailing journalists and political enemies is not disgusting? Rolling back civiliberties or the freedom of the press?

LNBL

Watching footage on al jazeera of soldies walking backwards and shooting in the air while a large crowd keeps moving along with them

trembli0s

Well, kiss secular Turkey good bye.

I hope Turkey is excited for the tourism rock bottom drop they're about to have as they increasingly turn to Islamic strong arm government.

what a waste

Majukun

Übermatik;210133842 said:
So it's a failed coup now, is that what I'm hearing?

nobody knows,even news agencies are trying to define the situation..any declaration in one sense or the other is pure speculation

People driving the soldiers from Taksim Square on Al Jazeera now. Soldiers firing in the air, but people don't care and push them away.

What kind of law support this bullshit? There are shootings and people lives on the line, how is it democracy when the army can hit the reset button whenever they deem it worthy? This man was elected by millions and there is no way in hell things won't escalate with more deaths if this continue. Either it is full democracy or not, make up your mind turkey. And hats off to all the political parties who refused this shitshow of a coup.
The military can perform a coup if the government gets away from its secularism. But it seems the military is not united in supporting this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom