• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Protesters are people too, my friend.

I didn't say they weren't. We've got other areas where the army is shooting warning shots and trying not to shoot people as they are being pushed back. From what I heard and read earlier, the helis were firing warning shoots, and not deliberately aiming at civs.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
As opposed to that sacred word secular? A concept so special it seemingly justifies acting against the wishes of the people and the political opposition and that might even justify violence against innocent civilians. Get the fuck outta here dude. I don't like Erdogan but this is no way to enact change.
But its the job of army to enforce it.
Stands in their constitution.

Arnie7

Banned
Übermatik;210133842 said:
So it's a failed coup now, is that what I'm hearing?

Possibly. Seems momentum has swang. Can't believe his shitty desperate FaceTime video telling supporters to resist might have changed the mood.

Ironic as hell since he is a proponent on net censorship.

I can't fucking believe these people are supporting the government, the country is truly fucked.

vDyK9.jpg

Oh come on people, sure there are tonnes of problems with Erdogan, and his party, and they should be scrutinised, and criticised, but IMO a coup isn't the way to do it, especially one that risks bloodshed. That doesn't mean we're all pro erdogan.

Regginator

Normaal gesproken wel, ik denk dat er nu alleen weinig kans is op legitieme informatie.. propaganda enz.

In dit geval zou ik eerder denken dat westerse propaganda de andere kant op werkt, namelijk pro-staatsgreep/anti-Erdogan. En het nieuws dat ANP bracht is niet echt in het voordeel van deze staatsgreep.

Mr.Sumal

Perhaps, but seems like the people of Turkey would rather they keep them safe as opposed to shooting at them.

Country was fine as it was. There was no need for this coup.

hopefully the council of mayhem come to their senses

drop their arms and stop this madness

Faustek

Lol I mean in turkey it's the case they have the choice to wear or not ha my bad

yeah my bad. I'm exhausted.
Finally got back from Pascal this morning, after trying to call him all night, he had not joined in so late in Nice. I'm exhausted and afraid of people here not seeing the big picture of what a war will lead to.

Joeytj

Banned
That Obama statement makes it clear the U.S. doesn't think the coup will succeed. They must know now that there's not enough support for it around the country. Either it will fail or lead to a standstill for the next couple of days.

Also, it's never good to support a military coup. If the coup succeeds, its organizers won't hold a lot of grudges against any government that didn't support them. But Erdogan will hold a grudge, so it's better than just stay out of it and condemn any coup.

Gezus.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. At this point, even just for avoiding further bloodshed, you should be supporting the coup.

The Obama administration making that statement would seem to indicate they expect the coup to fail. They can't destroy relations with Erdogan if they think Erdogan is going to be the ruler that they need to continue to deal with.

d00d3n

All the support for the islamist Erdogan here has really been eyeopening.

I agree. People with no previous signs jumped on this ship just like that. One of the worst offenders has a post history mostly consisting of Pokemon fanaticism.

kirblar

Oh come on people, sure there are tonnes of problems with Erdogan, and his party, and they should be scrutinised, and criticised, but IMO a coup isn't the way to do it, especially one that risks bloodshed. That doesn't mean we're all pro erdogan.
There was going to be bloodshed either way. What do you think was going to happen to his opposition?
Apparently, it's not just Estonia:
Note the phrasing. It's a hedge.

MMaRsu

Perhaps, but seems like the people of Turkey would rather they keep them safe as opposed to shooting at them.

What..? The country wasnt fine as it was. Taking over two news stations and jailing your opposition isnt a good thing. Not to mention implement more and more religious inspired laws.

Turkish military has a responsibility to keep religion out of the state.

jblank83

But its the job of army to enforce it.
Stands in their constitution.

As I understand it this is correct, is it not? It's the military's job to safeguard the secular and democratic nature of the Turkish government. And this is not the first time they have done so, no?

Vibranium

Banned
Well, if the coup fails and they really are shooting at protestors, then I guess the country will be happy with who they have, as slimy as he is.

oti

Banned
The moment Erdogan asked his supporters to take on to the streets was the moment the chances for a peaceful resolution went out the window. Whatever the result (coup will fail if it's just a part of the military behind this), Turkey will suffer after this. It's a terrible situation.

Volimar

BernardoOne ‏@BernardoOne1 12m12 minutes ago

@IlvesToomas A nation where the government jails the opposition, controls and censors the media and fixes election results is not a

BernardoOne ‏@BernardoOne1 12m12 minutes ago

@IlvesToomas democratically elected government. I'ts fascism.

Bernardo going in!

Stumpakapow presents NeoGAF vs Estonia. Who would win?

trembli0s

I want the people to vite him away like it should. He didn't suddenly lose last elections.

No, he just fucked cheated, arrested anyone who spoke out against him, and packed the judiciary with stooges who would vote in his favor.

Turkey has dropped over 50 spots in the Freedom Index in the last 10 years. It's going to turn into another fundamentalist hell hole.

nynt9

I mean, I don't think a coup is a happy thing either, but considering he controls the election process, the press, parts of the army, the judicial system, the health system, even many corporations, how do you remove such a leader?

Powers eroded from PM to president, jailing of journalists (incl. foreign journalists), attempts at reforming judicial system to give Erdogan more power, etc is apparently "a country fine as it was", let's not even get into the nationalism situation. That's not fine, especially since these are the things that have decimated Turkey's diplomatic relationship with most of Europe.

In a video if it you see shots being fired back at the helo, they aren't shooting at the immediate civilian presence on screen. However those last few rounds, gad damn.

That's not a helicopter, that's a fighter jet. Unless Turkey gained control of Airwolf.

What..? The country wasnt fine as it was. Taking over two news stations and jailing your opposition isnt a good thing. Not to mention implement more and more religious inspired laws.

Turkish military has a responsibility to keep religion out of the state.

Then, the Turkish people have to lead the revolution, not the Army. Besides, the people of Turkey seem to be supporting Erdogan, so don't think this coup is going to work anyway.

Powers eroded from PM to president, jailing of journalists (incl. foreign journalists), attempts at reforming judicial system to give Erdogan more power, etc is apparently "a country fine as it was", let's not even get into the nationalism situation. That's not fine, especially since these are the things that have decimated Turkey's diplomatic relationship with most of Europe.

Then that's up to the people of Turkey to stand up to oppression. Seems like they are rejecting the Army's coup... make of that what you will

MUnited83

For you.
Where did you get this idea that i jerk off to his actions

I simply do not support this failed coup

You still think that his government is democratic. IT'S NOT. The only explanation for your posts is a weird ass sense of idolization of him. You constantly go on and on about "democracy" while COMPLETELY IGNORING the complete lack of democracy on Erdogan's government. You claim to give a shit about democracy. You do not. You're doing nothing but supporting a authocratic dictator. You're no better than Hitler supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom