• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakun

i would think the main reason why the other part of the military is not getting involved is because it would be kind of hard for the pro-Erdogan mob to distinguish between pro and anti coup military. Thus making it even more dangerous than it is.

Erdogan is a fucking coward for sending his people against the military while running away like a bitch.

Pusherman

But its the job of army to enforce it.
Stands in their constitution.

And you don't see a problem with an undemocratic institution deciding when to forcibly remove an elected leader for something as vague as 'secularism' even when their decision seems unsupported by voters and the political opposition? Just because something is written down in a constitution does not make it justified or morally right.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And you don't see a problem with an undemocratic institution deciding when to forcibly remove an elected leader for something as vague as 'secularism' even when their decision seems unsupported by voters and the political opposition? Just because something is written down in a constitution does not make it justified or morally right.
I am fine with it when it removes a government who becomes more and more authorian.

I mean, I don't think a coup is a happy thing either, but considering he controls the election process, the press, parts of the army, the judicial system, the health system, even many corporations, how do you remove such a leader?

Honestly not sure, and I don't think there's an easy answer. Some of the things he's done man, it's effed up for sure. Just don't want to see Turkey to go up in flames like Syria or be a tribal free for all like Libya, but at the same time, what will the future hold post coup?

Honestly, I also want the country to stabilise again so I can get my damn holiday heh (had to cancel my flight on Tuesday :/).

Where are you based btw?

Shiggy

CncOHLHWAAAQo5d.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaSabelhaus/status/754086990904193025/photo/1

protests in Bremen...

MUnited83

For you.
Perhaps, but seems like the people of Turkey would rather they keep them safe as opposed to shooting at them.

Country was fine as it was. There was no need for this coup.
Watching democracy being destroyed more and more each year= "Country was fine as it was". Yeah yeah, sure, keep believing that.

TyrantII

That Obama statement makes it clear the U.S. doesn't think the coup will succeed. They must know now that there's not enough support for it around the country. Either it will fail or lead to a standstill for the next couple of days.

Gezus.

Eh.

Obama has NATO/Nukes/ISIS to worry about. He could be running the Coup from the Oval Office and release the same statement to distance US interests from shit going down.

MMaRsu

Well im going to play some games.. if Turkey wants Erdogan they can have this dictator. Hope they will be haopy with him and his clowns for another 40/50 years.

Uhyve

Please stop. At least he's been elected democratically... and not forcing its will upon the people like the Army is doing right now.
Do you guys think if you keep repeating that it'll become true? Most "democratic elections" don't feature so many violent attacks on the opposition.

nynt9

Honestly not sure, and I don't think there's an easy answer. The things he's done man, it's effed up for sure. Just don't want to see turkey go up in flames like Syria or Iraq, but at the same time, what will the future hold post coup?

Honestly, I also want the country to stabilise again so I can get my damn holiday lol (had to cancel my flight on Tuesday :/).

Where are you based btw?

Originally from Ankara, no longer live in Turkey though.

So is the military beeing pushed back or is it just in some places?

Seems like after Erdogan rallied his supporters to pour into the streets, many soldiers are faced with the decision of either shooting pro-Erdogan protesters and continuing or surrendering and many are choosing the latter.

I don't think you guys get it, even if Obama wanted this coup to happen, what the hell kind of fuel would it add to Erdogan's crazy supporters if they see him saying "yeah take him down boys!"

He has to basically repeat the standard line of we respect democratically elected leaders because it's the only safe answer.

Aki-at

Yup.

Also, Erdogan's call for resistance was unexpectedly potent.

:eek:

Everyone was laughing at him for being forced to carry interview on facetime but it somehow worked unexpectedly well.

I can't really add much but hope all those in Turkey stay safe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, if Obama's condemning it that must mean US Intel thinks it's all over. A shame.

It's just how diplomacy works. Everyone supports everyone else in public while all the real shit goes down behind the scenes. Obama's gotta say what he did in case the coup fails or turns out worse than what they had before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom