• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Sumal

You still think that his government is democratic. IT'S NOT. The only explanation for your posts is a weird ass sense of idolization of him. You constantly go on and on about "democracy" while COMPLETELY IGNORING the complete lack of democracy on Erdogan's government. You claim to give a shit about democracy. You do not. You're doing nothing but supporting a authocratic dictator. You're no better than Hitler supporters.

The people elected him but you dont really care about that do you

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
CncOHLHWAAAQo5d.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaSabelhaus/status/754086990904193025/photo/1

protests in Bremen...
German Turks are very pro-Erdogan, atleast the ones that vote. Not surprised by pro government support.

antonz

So is the military beeing pushed back or is it just in some places?

Honestly right now its probably not looking good for the Coup but we really have no idea.

Its the InfoWar stage of things. Each side needs to make the other side look like things are going to shit because that's how you keep support up.

THEY WERE DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED, DON'T YOU GET IT. WHO CARES IF THEY ACT UNDEMOCRATICALLY!

/s

Yeah people need to stop with this bullshit. Also I love that people keep trying to defend this nonsense by bringing up "democratically elected" countries that were/are known for disappearing the fuck out of people and shamelessly rigging elections.

Pusherman

The government is already ensuring Turkey is on its path towards Iraq, Syria, Egypt.. The Coup is trying to stop that.

Dude... Syria, Egypt and Iraq all have/had authoritarian secular military governments that acted incredibly violent towards Islamist opposition, even when that opposition was popularly supported as it was in Egypt.

I get that some truly hate Erdogan but to the point that you'd support a violent coup by the army? That's just crazy.

Disgusting how people on GAF would rather have the chance of a civil war.

You are probably the same guys who still think Iraq has been liberated and brought democracy.

You guys are probably the same people who think Egypt has been saved when the army killed several thousands of people and overthrown a democratic elected government.

Truly disgusting.

Well you know, Democracy also gave us all George Bush

Effect

That Obama statement makes it clear the U.S. doesn't think the coup will succeed. They must know now that there's not enough support for it around the country. Either it will fail or lead to a standstill for the next couple of days.

Also, it's never good to support a military coup. If the coup succeeds, its organizers won't hold a lot of grudges against any government that didn't support them. But Erdogan will hold a grudge, so it's better than just stay out of it and condemn any coup.

Gezus.

Also with the military forces firing at protesters there is no way you can back that. If that wasn't happening the US might have waited a little longer. Gotta find that middle ground and have a safe position until this is over.

Walpurgis

Banned
It's not necessarily just Turks. People from Islamic countries (Egypt, Saudi Arabia etc) love Erdogan. Every time I encounter a person from such a country and I mention I'm Turkish, they say "Erdogan is a great, strong leader!"

He is the person who brought the most secular Muslim state to heel after all.
I don't know about the other countries but Turkey provides a lot of foreign aid and assistance to Somalia, probably more than any other country. This is why they are liked there.

people hating on the people who are anti coup should realize this is also the norm right now with Human right analyst twitters, political analyst twitters, and now presidents of other countries

kirblar

I don't think you guys get it, even if Obama wanted this coup to happen, what the hell kind of fuel would it add to Erdogan's crazy supporters if they see him saying "yeah take him down boys!"

He has to basically repeat the standard line of we respect democratically elected leaders because it's the only safe answer.
Yup. He doesn't specify a side or what "democratically elected leaders" actually means.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How wonder how much closer Russia will manage to get to Turkey as a result of this. Clearly Russia would prefer to draw Turkey away from the US-UK "axis", but at the same time they are enemies.

DavidDesu

Didn't realise Facebook Live allowed you to see videos on a map and instantly watch by hovering your mouse over. Seriously impressive. Go look at Turkey, every feed is people on the streets, en masse, protesting against the coup.

Not up on my Turkey knowledge but as much as Erdogan doesn't seem all that great a military fucking coup is something else altogether, and not something any of the people seem to be happy with... IF what I'm seeing is right.

https://www.facebook.com/live

There are some conspiracy theories that this whole Coup is an act by Erdogan.

Regarding that I don't believe so since such an act will affect Turkey's current shaky financial state.

trembli0s

Turkey will devolve into civil war with Islamists, or simply kick all the secularists out, in the next 10 years.

Ataturk is rolling in his grave.

Tugatrix

After all this hours I'm not seeing army forces clashing against each other, that's odd if Erdogan still have any control over it, he seem to have no problem in sending civilians do the clashing, so he wouldn't even blink sending army forces under his control

Shiggy

Also with the military forces firing at protesters there is no way you can back that. If that wasn't happening the US might have waited a little longer. Gotta find that middle ground until this is over.

The military/police repeatedly killed civilians as ordered by Erdogan. That was OK?

I suppose the central question is, if this helicopter of the "coup plotters" did get shot down... which I find odd that all the head honchos would be flying around in one chopper... but if they did, will the coup military units keep fighting?

It's hard to tell how much of the military is controlled by this coup faction. It seems like a rather poor plan if the coup plotters only had a few helicopters and some tanks and expected to take over the country and defeat the army loyalists.

Wait, why are people commenting on this thread, this quickly, stating the coup has failed without any sources?? It has been literal hours into the attempt and there is so much confusion that no one has any idea what the fuck is going on.

Please, if you don't have sources to state the coup has failed or succeeded, don't make statements that can read as confirmation, is confusing as all hell.

Turkey is a NATO member

Obama could never publicly support or stay silent when a member of NATO is experiencing a coup

Egypt was a little different because it wasn't a member of NATO, and the US didn't want to halt military aid, which is why it was never declared a coup by the US.

If this succeeds, the US won't declare this a coup, Obama hasn't even said the word "coup" because of the legal implications.

Ovid

It's true. Think about what would happen if he came out in support of the coup and it fails. Diplomatic relations would be fucked and considering Turkey's part of NATO that's not an option.

Just don't say anything. They already put out a statement saying that they're monitoring the situation. That's all that's needed.

Mii

Banned
Obama/Kerry claiming Erdogan as "supporting democracy" may as well say same of Putin.

Obama supporting Erdogan gives US advantageous positioning either way. A secular military government is more advantageous than Erdogan. A relationship with Turkey is required to maintain the southern border right now, regardless of leader. Showing support of Erdogan now will not be problematic with a military-led secular Turkey later.

Obama gets to keep sounding like he is pro-democracy too. Its really only win-win making a comment supporting Erdogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom