• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos17

Didn't realise Facebook Live allowed you to see videos on a map and instantly watch by hovering your mouse over. Seriously impressive. Go look at Turkey, every feed is people on the streets, en masse, protesting against the coup.

Not up on my Turkey knowledge but as much as Erdogan doesn't seem all that great a military fucking coup is something else altogether, and not something any of the people seem to be happy with... IF what I'm seeing is right.

https://www.facebook.com/live

The ones that are not happy are his fans... they're the ne in the street, they began to go down the street after their president called them out. We saw that pages earlier.

Arnie7

Banned
I mean, I don't think a coup is a happy thing either, but considering he controls the election process, the press, parts of the army, the judicial system, the health system, even many corporations, how do you remove such a leader?

galactic-senate-8_0332dc2a.jpeg

Exactly. Sometimes there are people with too much harmful power that need to be removed.

Liberty4all

Banned
Im no fan of Erdogan but he was democratically elected and thus I'm surprised so many support a coup.

Reminds me of what happened to the first democratically elected government in Egypt.

Some only seem to support democracy when the party they support win.

The Turkish constitution demands the military take over when the country is in danger of losing its secularism. The people running this coup are patriots.

Markoman

Ok, it seems the Turkish people have spoken. We have to respect this. All pity in the future goes out of the window. I still could slap Merkel for trying to fix her own mistake by doing the shady human trafficking deal with Turkey.

orochi91

Wait, why are people commenting on this thread, this quickly, stating the coup has failed without any sources?? It has been literal hours into the attempt and there is so much confusion that no one has any idea what the fuck is going on.

Please, if you don't have sources to state the coup has failed or succeeded, don't make statements that can read as confirmation, is confusing as all hell.

Good point, this isn't over.

There's still a possibility the military can turn the tide.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
After all this hours I'm not seeing army forces clashing against each other, that's odd if Erdogan still have any control over it, he seem to have no problem in sending civilians do the clashing, so he wouldn't even blink sending army forces under his control

telling people to just go protest in the streets is irresponsible, but i would think that tons of civilians protesting would lead to less casualties than having an actual military engagement. if the coup really is a weak one, surely it will fizzle out without real fighting.

Effect

The military/police repeatedly killed civilians as ordered by Erdogan. That was OK?

Not saying that at all. I'm only commenting on why Obama, etc might be taking the stance that is being taken right now in reaction to this event as it develops.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't realise Facebook Live allowed you to see videos on a map and instantly watch by hovering your mouse over. Seriously impressive. Go look at Turkey, every feed is people on the streets, en masse, protesting against the coup.

Not up on my Turkey knowledge but as much as Erdogan doesn't seem all that great a military fucking coup is something else altogether, and not something any of the people seem to be happy with... IF what I'm seeing is right.

https://www.facebook.com/live
That's a really cool feature.

TyrantII

National Intelligence Agency press officer says "Coup attempt is crushed. Govt structure is up and running. Junta will be tried for treason"

The guys who just had their HQ smashed by rockets?

Let's not post propaganda from either side yet untill this shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom