• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
National Intelligence Agency press officer says "Coup attempt is crushed. Govt structure is up and running. Junta will be tried for treason"

hqdefault.jpg

Mimosa97

Turkey will devolve into civil war with Islamists, or simply kick all the secularists out, in the next 10 years.

Ataturk is rolling in his grave.

Islamists always win at the end.

Secularists want to protect everyone's rights while Islamists don'T give a fuck and are ready to slaughter and sacrifice their own lives for their ideals.

You can't win against fanatics. No one can.

nynt9

His level of popular support is why it's taken them so long to actually make a move despite this having been something that seemed inevitable over the course of the past decade+.

Well, that and the fact that he arrested every official who opposed him with dubious charges.

MUnited83

For you.
sure all those civilians getting shot at right now mean nothing too

fuck them as well am I right

All the civilians getting shot... with warning shots? Unless I missed news somewhere, there are no civilian casualties.
Not that it matters to the point I was discussing anyways. Edrogan is not democratic, his government is not democratic, the elections are not democratic. Stop trying to say the coup is a affront to democracy. The coup, at least as far as we know, actually wanted to bring democracy to Turkey. Turkey has no democracy now.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think there would be people insane enough here to support Erdogan ...

OMG even GAF is a shithole...
I've not see outright support of Erdogan.I do feel critics underestimate the insane risks of a military coup, though...

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I didn't think there would be people insane enough here to support Erdogan ...

OMG even GAF is a shithole...

Why do you guys believe that opposing a coup equals supporting Erdogan?

Liberty4all

Banned
Wow, we're seeing the exact same picture with totally different interpretations. That pic seems more fitting for those supporting a military take over while pretending to support democracy than those supporting a democratically elected government...

Turkey has a long history of its secular military ensuring the government stays secular. It's in the constitution, they have a duty to protect the country from falling to an autocratic theology. We all have seen which way the wind has been turning in Turkey.

Klyka

Banned
Fox Turkey livestream: https://www.canlitvizle.io/fox-turkiye

FOX Turkey reports high amount of gunfire and an explosion at the General Staff building. A helicopter with closed lights hovering over Ankara. It is stated that it may be the Grand National Assembly.

FOX Turkey has a live feed of jets and a circling helicopter over the Turkish Grand National Assembly. Sounds of gunfire continues. A significant amount of smoke. The helicopter just fired shots at the location where the explosion happened.

FOX Turkey shows ambulances moving towards the Grand National Assembly.

All the civilians getting shot... with warning shots? Unless I missed news somewhere, there are no civilian casualties.
Not that it matters to the point I was discussing anyways. Edrogan is not democratic, his government is not democratic, the elections are not democratic. Stop trying to say the coup is a affront to democracy. The coup, at least as far as we know, actually wanted to bring democracy to Turkey. Turkey has no democracy now.

There is video of troops opening fire at one of the bridges when people didn't respond and not move away.

SuperSah

Banned
I'll say it again, the Turkish population is at fault for allowing Erdogan the ability to continue to oppress them.

The population are virtually brainwashed.

Oriel

Coup rapidly falling apart. CNN showing young soldiers being led away by police officers. Looks like Erdogan will be back in Ankara in the morning, more secure than ever. His gutting of the officer class looks to have paid off. RIP Turkish Secularism.

idk you tell me

still doesn't change the fact that this coup wasn't needed
Yeah you're right.

The people of Turkey obviously don't want a democracy, so I guess the coup leaders shouldn't have bothered trying to bring one into existence. They really deserve everything they get from now on.

Reckheim

Man, those scenes from the airport, I wonder if its cause Erdogan flying in from wherever he is.

I mean he should be there during this time to keep his power.

Pusherman

Turkey has a long history of its secular military ensuring the government stays secular. It's in the constitution, they have a duty to protect the country from falling to an autocratic theology. We all have seen which way the wind has been turning in Turkey.

I'll just repeat with I said before:

And you don't see a problem with an undemocratic institution deciding when to forcibly remove an elected leader for something as vague as 'secularism' even when their decision seems unsupported by voters and the political opposition? Just because something is written down in a constitution does not make it justified or morally right.

bidguy

Banned
Staged. Now people are chanting religious slogans and calling for sharia. Started as a Coup but quickly turned into radical islam show.

jeez, i pray for the reasonable people living in turkey because it looks like pro erdogan is in the overwhelming majority

there are some civilian casualties

soldier shooting at people on the bridge and else were

and what proof do you have that he wasn't democratically elected
'
the dude is bad but some people voted for him

and you think we're crazy for being anti coup yet go on all these human rights activist and worker twitters, go on political analysts twitters go on some president twitters and you see all the same

condemnation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom