• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was right calling them the council of mayhem

the holdouts are causing destruction but im dense for not supporting this

You aren't even sure it was their side firing that rocket, you have been posting updates in the thread without backing it up since this shit started. You are so full of shit.

sangreal

from all the videos on cnn/nbc it really looks like the rebels have lost control of istanbul... why is there no video out of ankara?

Mr.Sumal

Yeah you're right.

The people of Turkey obviously don't want a democracy, so I guess the coup leaders shouldn't have bothered trying to bring one into existence. They really deserve everything they get from now on.

I agree, they shouldn't have caused this trouble for this futile attempt

My heart goes out to the civilians that lost their lives because of the foolishness caused by some disgruntled faction

Coup rapidly falling apart. CNN showing young soldiers being led away by police officers. Looks like Erdogan will be back in Ankara in the morning, more secure than ever. His gutting of the officer class looks to have paid off. RIP Turkish Secularism.

I'd rather the country be stable, and not secular, than secular but in a state of utter chaos like right now.

Besides, we don't know that Erdogan will islamize the country.

Yeah you're right.

The people of Turkey obviously don't want a democracy, so I guess the coup leaders shouldn't have bothered trying to bring one into existence. They really deserve everything they get from now on.

Nothing says democracy like a military takeover of civilian government.

Azoor

CncVWc7WcAEC4K4.jpg

Reuters photo of a man in front of a tank at Ataturk airport

So this is the new Tiananmen Square guy ?

nynt9

I'll just repeat with I said before:

And you don't see a problem with an undemocratic institution deciding when to forcibly remove an elected leader for something as vague as 'secularism' even when their decision seems unsupported by voters and the political opposition? Just because something is written down in a constitution does not make it justified or morally right.

Every republic is built upon "undemocratic" checks and balances designed to prevent stuff like this from happening. See the DNC, RNC and electoral college, and many laws that limit the power of the electorate and elected officials. Pure democracy, aka every decision by popular vote like Brexit, doesn't really exist.

Chaos17

idk you tell me

still doesn't change the fact that this coup wasn't needed

Let me resume from what others people have said as arguments...
Election got rigged.
Opposition members are getting arrested or disappear...
He teared down the democratic instituion of his own country and censor internet....
He fled the country and yet ask people to die for him when he is away and in security ?...

I'm sorry, I am for the safety of people and so far this man has showed no concern for them in this coup.

MUnited83

For you.
Why do you guys believe that opposing a coup equals supporting Erdogan?

Because Erdogan stans are on this thread saying that he can do whatever he wants because he "was democratically elected" and that trying to throw the fucker out is a affront to democracy. It's one of the most ridiculous and stupid statements I've ever seen.

Nothing says democracy like a military takeover of civilian government.
Yeah, they really had a democracy before this right?

A veritable shining beacon of democracy for all to admire and aspire to.
I agree, they shouldn't have caused this trouble for this futile attempt

My heart goes out to the civilians that lost their lives because of the foolishness caused by some disgruntled faction

Congrats on the brainwashed country.

TyrantII

crazy times we live in right now. i wanna know how the world will look like in about 10 years or further

Better than it is now, just as now is better than 10 years ago.

Don't let the visibility of injustice fool you. We're just more concerned with it, and we have tools that make it more apparent.

Mr. X

Please stop. At least he's been elected democratically... and not forcing its will upon the people like the Army is doing right now.
He rigged the election and is removing the system of checks and balances to move Turkey into an Islamic state and already oppressed those who oppose him.

Mr.Sumal

You aren't even sure it was their side firing that rocket, you have been posting updates in the thread without backing it up since this shit started. You are so full of shit.

I havent posted updates at all

Im just replying to the updates from other posters

Whats your position on the heli shooting on people?

73V3N

Banned
Yeah you're right.

democracy...
coup...

uuuh, is this a joke post?

Regginator

I'll say it again, the Turkish population is at fault for allowing Erdogan the ability to continue to oppress them.

The population are virtually brainwashed.

Does it occur to you that there's even the slightest probability that a significant part of Turkish population agree with his views? What's this double standards of "brainwashing" being thrown at every single thing at the earliest convenience? News flash: people don't have the same opinions and values like us, the world is a huge place with an even bigger diversity of people and ways of life. They don't have to be "brainwashed" just because your views differ from theirs.

jeez is this the first failed coup attempt in turkey ? im gonna go ahead and say erdogan is gonna make damn sure its never ever gonna happen again

Which is gonna be pretty disgusting.

But bad vs worse - Edragan resuming power or uncoordinated coup gaining power... you'd have to choose Edragan.

emag

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a US backed coup as an attempt to regain a stable, secular Nato ally in the region.

I hope the outcome is a stable, free Turkey, but that doesn't seem likely. Either the current government stays in place and clamps down hard on civil liberties in the wake of a coup or a military/police state imposes martial law and shuts down all forms of expression while imprisoning critics and protestors.

qazqaNii

The second division general is speaking live on TV. (A Haber)

Saying that he will interfere (fight) the military in istanbul. That they will pay for this etc.

Violet_0

Banned
this should have been resolved politically. If the coup fails (and it looks like it) Turkey can kiss goodbye to democracy. It was bound to happen when almost 50% of the population voted for the AKP - even when the last election might have been rigged in some fashion. Tourism is going to hit rock bottom either way

He rigged the election and is removing the system of checks and balances to move Turkey into an Islamic state and already oppressed those who oppose him.

Again, it's down to the Turkish electorate to stand up and they have failed to do so. Tonight was the perfect opportunity and they've supported Erdogan completely.

Brakke

Banned
Why do you guys keep quoting Mr.Sumal you know his responses before you post. Cluttering up the thread with circular bickering.

Effect

Interesting. There was someone on MSNBC that said they had witness coups in the past and that it seemed more like troops (maybe some) were just deployed and not acting as if they were not apart of a coup.

CrazyDude

Does it occur to you that there's even the slightest probability that a significant part of Turkish population agree with his views? What's this double standards of "brainwashing" being thrown at every single thing at the earliest convenience? News flash: people don't have the same opinions and values like us, the world is a huge place with an even bigger diversity of people and ways of life.

So if the majority wanted black to be slaves again, it's alright because the majority said it's alright?

Chris R

Why attempt a coup when the head of the government is out of the country? Wouldn't they want to be sure to kill/capture Erdogan?

trembli0s

I'd rather the country be stable, and not secular, than secular but in a state of utter chaos like right now.

Besides, we don't know that Erdogan will islamize the country.

Actually we do know that Erdogan will islamicize the country, because that's exactly what he's done since he's been in power. He wants to create a NeoOttoman empire with himself as the Caliph.

It's like no one pays attention, good lord.

bidguy

Banned
its hilarious how social media helped turn the tide for erdogan. would the call to arms have been successful if it was 15 years ago ?

SuperSah

Banned
Does it occur to you that there's even the slightest probability that a significant part of Turkish population agree with his views? What's this double standards of "brainwashing" being thrown at every single thing at the earliest convenience? News flash: people don't have the same opinions and values like us, the world is a huge place with an even bigger diversity of people and ways of life. They don't have to be "brainwashed" just because your views differ from theirs.

Anybody who agrees deserves to be oppressed then.

It's more or less the same people who complain about his rule when he's doing his day-to-day thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom