• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
Does it occur to you that there's even the slightest probability that a significant part of Turkish population agree with his views?

No doubt there is a substantial part of the Turkish population that supports Erdogan's islamist views. I don't think that is in dispute.

ezrarh

I am not as knowledgeable on Turkey but democracy is a joke when you have broken institutions. Looks like democratic institutions have been breaking down for a while now so regardless of whether the coup succeeded or not, it'd be hard to go back to a stable democratic government.

Morat

Banned
Well this is jolly. Have there been any indications of the intentions of goals of the military? Simply reestablish military rule?

A coup does need a sense of speed.

If it fails to gain hold of specific parts of government (and even parts of the military) then you will start to lose momentum, and once that happens it can fall apart extremely quickly.

The longer it is without clear control, the more likely it has failed

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Updated title provisionally to reflect information coming out now (i.e. messages from foreign governments, opposition members in Turkey, and government sources). Of course a lot of disinformation comes out in a tense and fluid situation like this, so it's possible this is incorrect. Either myself or another mod will update the title again as the situation evolves.

Jibbed

Does anyone have information on the South of Turkey? I'm in Hisaronu.

We are hearing noises and I hope to god it's just a sick joke with fireworks.

nynt9

its hilarious how social media helped turn the tide for erdogan. would the call to arms have been successful if it was 15 years ago ?

More ironically, he used social media to galvanize his followers when he said twitter is a cancer a couple years ago when people were organizing against him

Actually we do know that Erdogan will islamicize the country, because that's exactly what he's done since he's been in power. He wants to create a NeoOttoman empire with himself as the Caliph.

It's like no one pays attention, good lord.

Whether he wants to do that or not is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. He was elected democratically and people haven't stood up to him, which they could have done tonight, for instance, to get rid of him and his policies.

Euron

I'm hearing conflicting information from almost all major sources. Is there anything that has been consistently accurate thus far? Let's try not to post every tweet we see without an understanding of the source's legitimacy.

Edit:
Updated title provisionally to reflect information coming out now (i.e. messages from foreign governments, opposition members in Turkey, and government sources). Of course a lot of disinformation comes out in a tense and fluid situation like this, so it's possible this is incorrect. Either myself or another mod will update the title again as the situation evolves.
Thank you

sflufan

Banned
I am REALLY curious as to exactly which military units were involved in this terribly-planned, horribly-executed attempt at a coup because it seems like NO major military formations were in support of it.

Obama/Kerry claiming Erdogan as "supporting democracy" may as well say same of Putin.

The US's interest in Turkey I assume is still mostly pragmatic and benefits from stability.

That and besides, nothing good comes from openly condoning a military shooting protestors. We need to wait at least until Trump is president to start doing stuff like that.

The biggest thing making this confusing is the fact that this kind of thing is supported by their own Constitution, I guess just to guarantee when things go bad they can more justifiably get worse. The timing on this may have doomed it as well.

A coup does need a sense of speed.

If it fails to gain hold of specific parts of government (and even parts of the military) then you will start to lose momentum, and once that happens it can fall apart extremely quickly.

The longer it is without clear control, the more likely it has failed

Which is why this has failed

Why not just hold off on any determination? It's not a presidential election, you don't have to make a forecast before all the votes are in.

Dierce

If Erdoğan stays in power I fear we will see the next Syria situation take place in Turkey. Nothing is gained by giving power to extremist even under the pretense of democracy.

Majukun

there are some civilian casualties

soldier shooting at people on the bridge and else were

and what proof do you have that he wasn't democratically elected
'
the dude is bad but some people voted for him

and you think we're crazy for being anti coup yet go on all these human rights activist and worker twitters, go on political analysts twitters go on some president twitters and you see all the same

condemnation

those,at least from the second footage shown by sky news,were warning shots..the protester just laid down during them and then standed up and kept protesting like nothing happened.

IMO given the amount of firepower still being thrown around, it might be a bit premature to say that the coup has failed. Too much fog of war right now to have definitive answers.

MUnited83

For you.
there are some civilian casualties

soldier shooting at people on the bridge and else were

and what proof do you have that he wasn't democratically elected
'
the dude is bad but some people voted for him

and you think we're crazy for being anti coup yet go on all these human rights activist and worker twitters, go on political analysts twitters go on some president twitters and you see all the same

condemnation

Where are those civilian casualties? Post some sources man.
And holy shit how blind can you possibly be? Haven't you looked into the state of things in Turkey and the shit Erdogan has done? He jails and makes dissapear the oposition, he pushes to get more and more control all for himself, he makes sure to control the media. Calling this government democratic is the most goddamn ignorant thing you can say.
And no shit president twitters aren't going to say shit. They're still part of NATO.

The dude is bad but some people voted for him" is not a goddamn excuse holy shit.

Kusagari

Doing the coup with Erdogan out of the country was a massive blunder.

First move should have been to capture him. This is wildly different without him fueling people on via social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom