• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesido

The theatrical play is over. I'm extremely sorry for people who have died for this.

Erdoğan will be the eternal leader of TR after this, I guess. People really do like him here, the most polarizing political figure I've seen in my life. And a wanna-be dictator. This was all he needed.

MMaRsu

Sure. That's why people have followed Erdogan's call and gone on the streets to oppose the Army. If Erdogan was so unpopular, he would have been quashed tonight. A few hours in, this coup is nearing its end, it appears.

Who said he isnt popular? People love him!

Except the people in jail for not supporting him

Chaos17

I am REALLY curious as to exactly which military units were involved in this terribly-planned, horribly-executed attempt at a coup because it seems like NO major military formations were in support of it.

It was well planned, they took rapidly tactics points, locked down the country but not enough quick to get the presidend. Shit got real when president called out his people/fans and they gone down to the street. Majority of the military did not shoot on civils and let themself arrested.

Now military is taking try to shoot a building dunmo why.
There've been conflicting report: pro-Eradangs news vs none Eragadangs news too.

Edit: no I'm not saying the army is a saint, just explaining what happened from all the pages.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why not just hold off on any determination? It's not a presidential election, you don't have to make a forecast before all the votes are in.

I think that like literally every media or discussion source everywhere in the world, we will adopt the policy of updating titles provisionally to reflect incoming information, rather than pretending nothing has changed since the second the OP posted.

roytheone

SuperSah

Banned
this is coming from someone that supports a military coup

Honestly, it's not hard to see why it's being supported. The dude is a dictator and his people are severely oppressed. 'Democracy' isn't really a thing in Turkey anymore and it's about time this man and his corrupt government are abolished.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
No he wasn't. The army isn't "forcing its will upon the people", it's trying to remove the parties that AREN'T letting the will of the people be heard without dire consequences if they dare oppose the current government. Once Erdogan would be out, there would be another election where people would have their voices heard. If the elections were less of a clusterfuck than it was last time (which were far from democratic, so stop throwing around that empty claim), then ALL people would actually get their voices heard instead of whatever BS went on the last time.

Uh

Do you really believe this? That a military coup will end with free and fair elections? How often has this been the case historically?

Where are those civilian casualties? Post some sources man.
And holy shit how blind can you possibly be? Haven't you looked into the state of things in Turkey and the shit Erdogan has done? He jails and makes dissapear the oposition, he pushes to get more and more control all for himself, he makes sure to control the media. Calling this government democratic is the most goddamn ignorant thing you can say.
And no shit president twitters aren't going to say shit. They're still part of NATO.

The dude is bad but some people voted for him" is not a goddamn excuse holy shit.

a) I am not defending Erdogan's policies and actions the dude is bad and everyone knows that

b) Police killed: https://twitter.com/AP/status/754090220740542464

c) civilians arresting soldiers: https://twitter.com/HassanLLC/status/754091587832012801

d) shooting at parliament: https://twitter.com/business/status/754079067599757312

e) live ammo as warning shots on citizens: https://twitter.com/Ticia_Verveer/status/754092350411005952

f) firing on crowds: https://twitter.com/AFP/status/754099984727932928

this is some pseudo elite stupidity you are spewing

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Uh

Do you really believe this? That a military coup will end with free and fair elections? How often has this been the case historically?

Hasn't that been the case with Turkey? Should I study more Turkish history? Actual questions.

Well, whoever tried to orchestrate this coup just handed Erdoğan complete authoritarian power.

congrats shit heads
Well, can understand why they would try anyway. Erdogan was about to purge Colonel and below officers opposed to him and replace them with his muppets (he already did that with high command), they probably saw this as the last opportunity to strike out before getting sacked/arrested. Guess that Erdogan being outside the country was an unfortunate last minute change that they didn't plan for.

Erdogan is literally trying to get rid of the secular democratic state, the army is charged with safeguarding it by the constitution.

qazqaNii

The "General Boss" that commands the naval, air etc general has been rescued. He was in the captivitiy of coup military.

Looks like it has failed.

It will be terrible for the people and economy of Turkey if this coup fails. The people will continue to have their rights eroded away by Erdogan and secularism will fall in Turkey.

Diancecht

It's failed.

Erdogan will take heads because of this. I sincerely think this was a play, orchestrated by the government to incite fear and establish Erdogan's dictatorship.

Yeah, they really had a democracy before this right?

A veritable shining beacon of democracy for all to admire and aspire to.

Congrats on the brainwashed country.

Democracy in Turkey is relatively new and still deeply flawed. That doesn't make a military coup by some unknown number of generals a better option. Do you want a military coup in other nations with deeply flawed and relatively new democracies such as Russia?

The hypocrisy of slamming Turkey's current flawed civilian system of government while also cheering on a takeover by an unknown number of unidentified and unelected military officers is hilarious.

Well, can understand why they would try anyway. Erdogan was about to purge Colonel and below officers opposed to him and replace them with his muppets (he already did that with high command), they probably saw this as the last opportunity to strike out before getting sacked/arrested. Guess that Erdogan being outside the country was an unfortunate last minute change that they didn't plan for.

Erdogan is literally trying to get rid of the secular democratic state, the army is charged with safeguarding it by the constitution.

I understand that, I simply wish they would have attempted to gain more internal support than pull the trigger when they didn't have a remote chance of taking the head of state.

If you do a coup, you need to either kill the head of state or take him prisoner.

orochi91

Shame they couldn't kill Erdogan
This was being discussed with friends a few moments ago, and the consensus was that an assassination will probably be the only possible way to remove him in the foreseeable future, but I can't imagine any scenario where that doesn't tear the country apart; dude is extremely well liked among the populace.

Lucumo

Erdogan fanatics have attacked an office of Gulen sympathisants in the Belgian town of Beringen.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.2715322
Also tensions at the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam. Lots of Turkish youth have gathered there and are singing religious chants and praise for Erdogan. They attacked a crew of NOS (public broadcasting). Cars are being damaged.

http://nos.nl/artikel/2117897-gespannen-sfeer-bij-turks-consulaat-in-rotterdam.html

Wow, fuck these people. If they want to be violent, they can be so in Turkey, the country of their beloved leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom