• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil

Sure. That's why people have followed Erdogan's call and gone on the streets to oppose the Army. If Erdogan was so unpopular, he would have been quashed tonight. A few hours in, this coup is nearing its end, it appears.

Him being as popular as he is is part of the unconstitutional way of his presidency, though. Controlling the media, law, oppositional parties without legal basis. How do you get rid of someone like that? Someone who was elected by the majority but misuses his power? Someone who made sure that this misuse cannot be punished?

How much undemocratic and illegal actions are justified by a democratic election and popularity? What (legal and illegal) measures are justified and also promising to undo such a problem?

It*s not that easy... Of course he is popular, that alone doesn't mean a lot.

roytheone

What type of response?

Turkish organizations (pro erdogan) saying they should calm the fuck down. If needed, Police response to protect people that are being attacked. People that break the law should be arrested to show we still uphold the law here.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
IMO given the amount of firepower still being thrown around, it might be a bit premature to say that the coup has failed. Too much fog of war right now to have definitive answers.

Which is why the thread title is provisional both in its language ("signs suggest") and because I've said it'll be updated as the situation evolves.

ezrarh

I was discussing this friends moments ago, consensus was that an assassination will probably be the only possible way to remove him in the foreseeable future, but I can't imagine any scenario where that doesn't tear the country apart; dude is extremely well liked among the populace.

Yeah...killing a well liked leader makes it really hard to stabilize the country for the next government in charge. I mean, I guess from a Western perspective, it would be better to take a stable autocratic government in the region than another destabilized country like Syria. Sucks for the Turkish though.

nynt9

Yeah, if this coup is over, I think Turkey is over for non-Islamists. Enjoy supreme leader Erdogan until he dies or abdicates.

ArjanN

Democracy in Turkey is relatively new and still deeply flawed. That doesn't make a military coup by some unknown number of generals a better option. Do you want a military coup in other nations with deeply flawed and relatively new democracies such as Russia?

The hypocrisy of slamming Turkey's current flawed civilian system of government while also cheering on a takeover by an unknown number of unidentified and unelected military officers is hilarious.

It's basically a question mark vs someone that's already proven to be an asshole.

Morat

Banned
Yeah...killing a well liked leader makes it really hard to stabilize the country for the next government in charge. I mean, I guess from a Western perspective, it would be better to take a stable autocratic government in the region than another destabilized country like Syria. Sucks for the Turkish though.

Welcome to western foreing policy. 2st century just like the 20th.

Hasn't it been the case in like every coup in Turkish history?

Mahahaha. Take for example the elections after the 1980 military coup.

All new parties needed to get the approval of the National Security Council in order to participate in the elections. Only three parties, two of which were actually created by the junta, were permitted to contest.

This was being discussed with friends a few moments ago, and the consensus was that an assassination will probably be the only possible way to remove him in the foreseeable future, but I can't imagine any scenario where that doesn't tear the country apart; dude is extremely well liked among the populace.
Even if the coup fails, having killed Erdogan would have been totally worth it. Usually not a proponent of self justice or vigilantism, but IMO this can be considered "Tyrannenmord".

If Erdogan was dead, the rest of the AKP and his lackeys would fold like a house of cards.

The theatrical play is over. I'm extremely sorry for people who have died for this.

Erdoğan will be the eternal leader of TR after this, I guess. People really do like him here, the most polarizing political figure I've seen in my life. And a wanna-be dictator. This was all he needed.

Gotta burn that Reichstag if you wanna play with the big boys

IMO given the amount of firepower still being thrown around, it might be a bit premature to say that the coup has failed. Too much fog of war right now to have definitive answers.
Fog of war generally lends towards "coup has failed". Success can happen without a drop of blood being shed.

There's a different word for governmental change by war: revolution.

Wow, fuck these people. If they want to be violent, they can be so in Turkey, the country of their beloved leader.

These people are glad to live here and enjoy all our benefits but they still identify themselves as Turks. And boy do they love Erdogan. Glad they got knocked out early in the EURO's else you can't get a decent night of sleep.

clemenx

Banned
Wow so this is the worst case scenario now? A Failed coup?

Back in 2002 in Venezuela the exact thing happened. There was a failed coup and Chavez then purged all of the military and filled it with yes men and corrupt thugs, giving him free reigns in becoming the dictatorship and failed state that Venezuela is today.

There are stories about how Chavez was tied up and all but no one pulled the trigger on him. Pretty much everyone here now regrets that he wasn't killed right there. Hope Turkey has a better future than what we had.

Well, can understand why they would try anyway. Erdogan was about to purge Colonel and below officers opposed to him and replace them with his muppets (he already did that with high command), they probably saw this as the last opportunity to strike out before getting sacked/arrested. Guess that Erdogan being outside the country was an unfortunate last minute change that they didn't plan for.

Erdogan is literally trying to get rid of the secular democratic state, the army is charged with safeguarding it by the constitution.

An army is safeguarding the democratic state by overthrowing a democratically elected government. Are you even listening to your self.

qazqaNii

The people never asked for this

This is true. People think that coup is good for a population that has experienced it multiple times. A coup happens when population is really seperated and fights break out occasionally then imo a coup is needed, but not when people are currently living in peace, apart from the ocassional ISIS bombing that happened recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom