• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pro-government chants:

"ALLAH BISMIALLAH ALLAHU AHKBER!!!!"

..Truly fucked Turkey is.

Markoman

The Thrace area has been Greek more than Turkish throughout history. You don't need to equate it to a maddening claim to retake the whole briefly held Alexander the Great conquests.

Are we seriously talking about Greece reclaiming the Thrace area? If so, my post absolutely fits the amount of insanity emerging from this thread. Like seriously?

Majukun

How exactly can a country's military lose?
by trying their hardest not to shot civilians while they go on the street apparently supporting the "overthroned" leader,at least it seems that way from here,but let's wait the reports

also,it seems like it wasn't the entire military anyway

it is kinda strange that a coup would take place without the head of state in a position to be taken prisoner

I mentioned it at the start that he was "on vacation".

I thought that he had a heads up and bolted out of town...

it's a long shot that this was some type of power play, but he was already going to remove a good portion of the heads of military, wouldn't make sense to do something like this.

What a weird ass coup.

Is the picture any clearer on exactly which part/size of the military was running the coup?

It was obviously not the whole thing, so why was the rest of it just letting them go along with it?

orochi91

Pro-government chants:

I mean, if I was on the winning side, I'd be chanting that too, lol

oti

Banned
If this was a play by Erdogan (an idea I'm not really supporting) he just lost all chances for an EU membership within the next couple of decades and crashed the tourism industry for the foreseeable future.

Wow so this is the worst case scenario now? A Failed coup?

Back in 2002 in Venezuela the exact thing happened. There was a failed coup and Chavez then purged all of the military and filled it with yes men and corrupt thugs, giving him free reigns in becoming the dictatorship and failed state that Venezuela is today.

There are stories about how Chavez was tied up and all but no one pulled the trigger on him. Pretty much everyone here now regrets that he wasn't killed right there. Hope Turkey has a better future than what we had.

A Chavez like rise would be pretty terrifying in this day and age.

Chris R

it is kinda strange that a coup would take place without the head of state in a position to be taken prisoner

I mentioned it at the start that he was "on vacation".

I thought that he had a heads up and bolted out of town...

it's a long shot that this was some type of power play, but he was already going to remove a good portion of the heads of military, wouldn't make sense to do something like this.

Maybe Erdogan is secretly behind all of this and it was just a move to ensure he gets complete control in the coming weeks :p

Arnie7

Banned
I just find it really funny how all these politicians (including Obama) and countries coming out to support "democratically elected" Erdogan.

Wasn't Assad and Syria also democratically elected? Did't they back hardline extremists (many of whom are ISIS connections) and give them weapons?

jm89

Pro-government chants:

They must be fundamentalist extremist terrorist.

Mr.Sumal

No you are a joke because you are a Erdogan supporter. It's one thing to be against both the coup and Erdogan, but you support Erdogan. Nobody should be supporting him, he's awful

well the council of mayhem is even worse

I'll never support a junta that will kill people all in a name for democracry

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really get how getting rid of Erdogan brings about democracy. Like, he is very popular. He has widespread support. If you oust him, and he were to run in a free and fair election you held later, he would win. So the only not-Erdogan future you have is the one where you ban Erdogan, and probably Islamist parties in general (like in 1997, and 1980, and 1971 and so on - you notice how often this has to be done?). Given that these parties have widespread support... that seems pretty undemocratic? Like, no, Erdogan is obviously not an ideal-type democrat, but that's never on the table here.

If you're actually arguing for secularism rather than democracy, sure, fine; but I'm not at all convinced that supporting a military coup is the democratic option here.

I just find it really funny how all these politicians (including Obama) and countries coming out to support "democratically elected" Erdogan.

Wasn't Assad and Syria also democratically elected? Didd't they back hardline extremists and give them weapons?

Turkey is a NATO member

it's extremely different

Famassu

Sure. That's why people have followed Erdogan's call and gone on the streets to oppose the Army. If Erdogan was so unpopular, he would have been quashed tonight. A few hours in, this coup is nearing its end, it appears.
He's not unpopular, but Turkey isn't exactly a small country. He could have (tens of) millions of legitimate supporters and that could still only be 30%-40% of the country, which is enough to make his claim to power and the last scam of an election seem legitimate, even if, say, a 60% majority are actually more or less against him

Trying to visit the website that says the elections are rigged on the wiki website (legit never knew about this until now), but link isn't working?

Quite shocking if true. Not really democratic if rigged lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What a night for Turkey, holy shit. I went to the gym, and when I got out the whole thing had already done a 180º.

Wasn't Assad and Syria also democratically elected? Did't they back hardline extremists (many of whom are ISIS connections) and give them weapons?

Syria isnt a member of NATO.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What a weird ass coup.

Is the picture any clearer on exactly which part/size of the military was running the coup?

It was obviously not the whole thing, so why was the rest of it just letting them go along with it?

To draw the detractors out maybe.

Markoman

Could you see Erdogan doing an Enabling Act esque move in Parliament after this, continuing the Weimar Republic theme?

No, not directly. But there will be more terrorist attacks against Turkey and he will do that step by step. From the moment I've heard that the West was giving weapons to the Kurds to fight ISIS, I knew we're up for a big shit pie. Remember Afghanistan...

If this was a play by Erdogan (an idea I'm not really supporting) he just lost all chances for an EU membership within the next couple of decades and crashed the tourism industry for the foreseeable future.
He won't care. As long as he ends up in the same position as Putin, as undisputed ruler of the country for life, he won't give three shits how the west reacts or how much his people have to suffer. Especially knowing that the west will be even more hamstrung in their reactions than when they punished Russia, considering that Turkey is a NATO member and "valuable partner".

There are signs the coup has failed? Those people saying that this is a wrong course of action are going to regret what they said when Erdogan comes back and tears the country and military to shreds
This is exactly what's going to happen, except you have the added bonus of funneling terrorists across the Turkish border as they increasingly become an Islamic theocracy.

Obama needs to make plans to move the nukes out of Turkey tonight and have them gone by next week.
Oh FUCK

Turkish armed forces need to seal the deal already. Turkey is about to become truly fundamentalist.

ezrarh

The thing with dictators is that they don't care if they screw the overall well-being and wealth of a country to stay in power. It's always the regular people that get screwed.

MUnited83

For you.
albeit the right one

beat him in elections instead of causing mayhem

Well, they might as well summon a Gyarados and ride on a Ice Golem Lizard towards Valhalla, because that's as viable as doing as you just said, because Turkey ISN'T DEMOCRATIC and the elections are fixed.

Assad got elected with 98% of the vote. No opponents were allowed to run.

Technically it was an election, yes. But I think calling it democratically would be stretching its definition a bit too much.

Which doesn't take away from the fact that the reactions USA and EU are mostly driven by opportunism rather than ideology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom