• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is crazy. Turkey, syria and Iraq share borders and all of them are in grave danger of ISIS. I really hope that the current government stabilizes quickly or else it will turn into a disaster. I also hope that the NATO will keep things from falling apart. There is no doubt that this coup was supported by NATO countries and it's not shocking considering how Erdogan abused his power as President.

Are the same people saying this was a democratically elected government the same people who just refuse to believe elections could possibly be rigged in the year x

Because I swear I saw some of these same faces and comments when Putin "won" his last "election"

Mr.Sword

Pro-government chants:

"ALLAH BISMIALLAH ALLAHU AHKBER!!!!"

..Truly fucked Turkey is.

They must be fundamentalist extremist terrorist.

How dare Muslims chant allah is great in celebrations, how dare they?!!?!?!?!!?

z3phon

Pro-government chants:

What?
What does this have to do with anything?

Devil

An army is safeguarding the democratic state by overthrowing a democratically elected government. Are you even listening to your self.

So what do you do against someone who misuses his power as a democratically elected president? You'd try to impeach him right? So what do you do if that's impossible because that president has all the national judges in his pocket so he can't be touched by legal means? You'd think he'd not get elected next time, right? But what if all the media is controller by said president and most of the journalists who criticise him are jailed as "terrorist supporters" all the time so he stays popular with the majority? What if that president also jails uprising oppositional party members because of shallow terrorism claims?

"Democratically elected" doesn't mean shit in some cases. President Nixon was democratically elected as well and misused his power. He had to resign because the US has a working system of checks & balances. Something Erdogan successfully undermined over time.

Btw can someone quickly explain to me why and what Erdogan has against the Kurds? Aren't many of them Muslim too? Wouldn't that be counter intuitive of him?

Pusherman

The amount of people supporting a failed, violent coup, one unsupported by the people, (large) elements of the military and the political opposition is absolutely maddening. Hell, I'm amazed at the amount of people who actually believe Erdogan is in any way similar to Adolf Fucking Hitler. Goddamn, tonight's been positively disgusting. If Erdogan gains even more support/power after this it will be 100% the result of the kind of dumb fucks that think a stupid coup like this is any kind of okay. Keep insulting those ‘dumb masses’ all you want, whatever the future looks like it’ll be y’alls making.

Cromat

Well, they might as well summon a Gyarados and ride on a Ice Golem Lizard towards Valhalla, because that's as viable as doing as you just said, because Turkey ISN'T DEMOCRATIC and the elections are fixed.

Elections are not fixed. Most Turks just support Erdogan, and as a result he is able to crush the opposition into silence. It's tyranny of the majority, not plain tyranny.

nynt9

Elections are not fixed. Most Turks just support Erdogan, and as a result he is able to crush the opposition into silence. It's tyranny of the majority, not plain tyranny.

You realize Erdogan's support, assuming election results are real (they're not) is a plurality at best and not a majority, right?

massive Islamophobia

Some people just value freedom of religion. That's not islamophobia.

Oh no Muslims in a 95% Muslim country chanting arabic Turkey is fucked!!!!

Just out of curiosity, you realize turkish people don't speak arabic right?

I know Erdogan has done some effed up stuff in the past, but can someone inform me (legitimately sources I mean) the stuff against the Kurds and election rigging? Not really researched that stuff before.

Diancecht

Well, they might as well summon a Gyarados and ride on a Ice Golem Lizard towards Valhalla, because that's as viable as doing as you just said, because Turkey ISN'T DEMOCRATIC and the elections are fixed.

If the MHP would accepted the fucking coalition with CHP and HDP, we would have a three way coalition right now. But noooo, because MHP likes to suck Erdogan's cock.

Pro-government chants:

Oh no Muslims in a 95% Muslim country chanting arabic Turkey is fucked!!!!

trembli0s

Is this a joke?

He jails anyone who opposes him in the media, he closes down opposing news view points. There's absolutely nothing democratic about the way Erdogan operates today. For fuck's sake he was the one trying to shut down social media not two years ago.

qazqaNii

how many of the generals that are against this coup was put in power by Erdogan?

Does it matter? The opposition MHP and CHP gave its support to AKP. Which more or less equals to atleast 80% of the civil to be against the coup.

CHP members were in the parliament when it was bombed where they were announcing that the poeple should not leave the streets.

Some people posting in this tread is just posting without a brain, they just post coup to fill their need for action. A coup may not affect you but it fucks up the ppl in Turkey.

MUnited83

For you.
The amount of people supporting a failed, violent coup, one unsupported by the people, (large) elements of the military and the political opposition is absolutely maddening. Hell, I'm amazed at the amount of people who actually believe Erdogan is in any way similar to Adolf Fucking Hitler. Goddamn, tonight's been positively disgusting. If Erdogan gains even more support/power after this it will be 100% the result of the kind of dumb fucks that think a stupid coup like this is any kind of okay. Keep insulting those ‘dumb masses’ all you want, whatever the future looks like it’ll be y’alls making.

Seems to be it's more the result of dumb fucks supporting a literal dictator. Supporting fascism is disgusting.

You should excuse the majority of GAF for not supporting someone in favour of mass press censorship, media intimidation, electoral fraud and antisemitic tendencies while also citing Nazi Germany as a good example of a presidential system in a unitary state which he is striving for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom