• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Typical Western liberalism in this thread

Country elects democratic leader. Democratically elected leader isn't to the liking of some. People suggest leader gets overthrown in an undemocratic fashion.

You can't pick and choose when you want democracy. You have to deal with the fact that not every election result will be to your liking.

I'm not a huge Erdogan fan but military coups are an attack on democracy more than anything Erdogan has done.

America has a pretty un-democratic democracy too, tho. We got that checks and balances, we got that Supreme Court. State supreme courts overturn popular referendums fairly often. Nobody lives in a "true" democracy. We all pick and choose when democracy reigns and when it doesn't.

kirblar

Country elects democratic leader. Democratically elected leader isn't to the liking of some. People suggest leader gets overthrown in an undemocratic fashion.

You can't pick and choose when you want democracy. You have to deal with the fact that not every election result will be to your liking.

I'm not a huge Erdogan fan but military coups are an attack on democracy more than anything Erdogan has done.
Their constitution has this built into it.

Non-democratic institutions in democracies are absolutely fine.

You are truley clueless, aren't you. In short: being a muslim does not automatically mean that you love every muslim out there. Quite the opposite. Turks and Kurds hate each other just like Sunnis and Shiites. Same goes for christians. Ever heard of the 30 years war?

Also just to add, and I know you wrote it for the sake of simplification and brevity, but (obviously) not all Shiites hate Sunnis and vice versa.

I get the gist of your point and example though was just saying.

Does it matter? The opposition MHP and CHP gave its support to AKP. Which more or less equals to atleast 80% of the civil to be against the coup.

CHP members were in the parliament when it was bombed where they were announcing that the poeple should not leave the streets.

Some people posting in this tread is just posting without a brain, they just post coup to fill their need for action. A coup may not affect you but it fucks up the ppl in Turkey.

It's honestly disturbing how people here are ill-informed about Turkish politics, and in politics in general.

Just imagine if Trump gets elected and bans all Muslims and build the wall on the southern borders to keep out all the Mexicans. Will you be okay with it, if not will the American people who elected Trump beg the military to overthrown the government.

The military should be 100% neutral when it comes to politics. Not for or against. Erdogan did the right thing by removing general with coup intentions. But it seems he did not do a good job about it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
CNN is suggesting Ankara may have fallen to the coup while Erdogan rallies his forces in Istanbul. So.....yeah.

Just as a reminder, 'suggests' might as well be changed "we are supposing, without any real evidence". Do they name any source?

Majukun

you talk like no dictator has ever rose to power through legitimate elections

Arkeband

Banned

Isn't that "democratically elected" leader basically a dictator...?

I feel sorry for these guys, it will not end well for them. If I was involved in a coup against a dictatorial government I would make sure I would fight to the death or I would not get involved.

dakun

Theyre muslims in a muslim country. Muslims say that as often as people say hello. They just prevented a coup from removing a government they support. Theyre celebrating. I dont understand what you expected.

Turks don't speak Arabic. Allahu Akbar is not something you hear very often unless it's during a prayer or during protests by Islamists like this. So for you to start a protest or cheer yelling Allahu Akbar is not anything a secular person does. At least it's not as common in Turkey as you think. Not all muslim countries are alike

Ugh, the fact that Erdogan called for the civilians to resist in the streets should tell you it's all about power and he doesn't give a fuck about the people.

Disgusting.

Chaos17

CNN Turk reporting live military takeover of their building in Istanbul.

https://twitter.com/CeylanWrites?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

HEY SHIT HEADS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO TAKE CONTROL OF THE MEDIA AT THE START OF THE COUP

They did, they just changed the media channel news and guess what ?
CNN turkey was the first one who reported about the president plane which supposed to land (soon?) and so the army moved to their HQ now.
The person who is behind it is no dumb.

Ugh, the fact that Erdogan called for the civilians to resist in the streets should tell you it's all about power and he doesn't give a fuck about the people.

Disgusting.
Dude Erdogan gives NO fuck about ANY TURK. Which makes it even more surprising the people continue to vote for him.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Elections are not fixed. Most Turks just support Erdogan, and as a result he is able to crush the opposition into silence. It's tyranny of the majority, not plain tyranny.

Popular autocrats often cheat anyway. The PRI in Mexico routinely cheated even when they were going to win. Saddam Hussein would have won a fair election, but just held rigged elections instead. Ditto Mugabe in Zimbabwe. Moreover, the allegations against Erdogan are not traditionally election rigging, but rather manipulation of media and civil society and jailing opposition. Still results in unfair elections, even if they are not in the traditional sense "rigged".

I hope everyone defending the 'democratically elected' part will stand against the Turkish president when he starts going more and more into a dictator.

reckless

It's honestly disturbing how people here are ill-informed about Turkish politics, and in politics in general.

Just imagine if Trump gets elected and bans all Muslims and build the wall on the southern borders to keep out all the Mexicans. Will you be okay with it, if not will the American people who elected Trump beg the military to overthrown the government.

The military should be 100% neutral when it comes to politics. Not for or against. Erdogan did the right thing by removing general with coup intentions. But it seems he did not do a good job about it.

It would be more like if Trump rigged elections, took over MSNBC and the NYtimes, purged the military of everyone that he doesn't like. Passed laws giving him the ability to arrest people for talking bad about him etc... that's not a democracy.

Turkish people don't speak arabic. They aren't like your regular muslims. This is not normal Turkish behavior.

Turks don't speak Arabic. Allahu Akbar is not something you hear very often unless it's during a prayer or during protests by Islamists like this. So for you to start a protest or cheer yelling Allahu Akbar is not anything a secular person does. At least it's not as common in Turkey as you think. Not all muslim countries are alike

Many muslims dont speak arabic either but its a common phrase among them.

Red Fire

Ah so you are also a big fan of a dictator who cheats elections, controls the free press, throws his opposition in jail?

Who is the ignorant one here?

Fuck man my ignore list is gonna be long once I get to a pc with these Erdogan defenders.

I was just responding to him calling out Muslims saying the most common words a Muslims will say and saying that is fucked

Im also not a big fan of Erdogan, he has his pros and his cons

MUnited83

For you.

Military coups are literally written into the constitution, it's literally a power that was made by democracy. And come the fuck on, what Erdogan has done is far far worse. "Isn't to the liking"? The fucker is quite literally a fascist. Fascists have absolutely no place in society. And no shit, election results won't be to my linking if the opposition is being supressed, the criticism silenced, the media controlled and the votes fixed. He's the exact opposite of a "democratically elected leader".

chadskin

That Erdogan didn't go to the capitol Ankara but instead to Istanbul certainly gives some indication of the situation on the ground.

Soldiers in the news station

9gE4pL4.png

Diancecht

doesn't load

"Türk Silahlı Kuvvetleri; anayasal düzeninin, demokrasinin, insan hak ve özgürlüklerinin tekrar temin ve tesisi; ülkede hukukun üstünlüğünün yeniden hakim kılınması; bozulan asayiş düzeninin tekrar sağlanması; maksadıyla ülke yönetimine bütünüyle el koymuştur.

Tüm uluslararası anlaşmalarımız ve taahhütlerimiz geçerliliğini korumaktadır. Tüm dünya ülkeleri ile iyi ilişkilerimizin devam edeceğini temenni ederiz.

Genelkurmay Başkanlığı"

Basically it says that pro-coup army have full control over the country.

Markoman

Well if I had a clue I wouldn't be asking lol.

And obviously I know as a Muslim there's a crap tonne of division in communities. I know that first and foremost, just wasn't familiar with the Kurds situation which seems to be based more on nationalist pride than anything from what you and the user told me.

I don't deny I don't know much about the two groups hence why I was asking :p

Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh.

The Kurds are an ethnical minority in Turkey, Iraq and Iran striving for an independent Kurdish state. Most of the tensions come from this. Just like the Basques in Spain were striving for independence.

How much of the military is truly involved? If government forces had complete dominance this would never have got to the point of seizing buildings, the government will just crush them.

clemenx

Banned
Lol at people defending Erdogan and "the majority" as a Venezuelan im so fucking sick hearing that shit.

Chavez destroyed my country thanks to countless elections and having the people rallying by his side. If it gets to a point where the leader is definitely batshit insane and non-democratic then, votes and elections really shouldn't matter at all. These kind of fuckers need to be taken out of the picture by any means necesary. They're using democracy to their advantage blackmailing everyone.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
"Türk Silahlı Kuvvetleri; anayasal düzeninin, demokrasinin, insan hak ve özgürlüklerinin tekrar temin ve tesisi; ülkede hukukun üstünlüğünün yeniden hakim kılınması; bozulan asayiş düzeninin tekrar sağlanması; maksadıyla ülke yönetimine bütünüyle el koymuştur.

Tüm uluslararası anlaşmalarımız ve taahhütlerimiz geçerliliğini korumaktadır. Tüm dünya ülkeleri ile iyi ilişkilerimizin devam edeceğini temenni ederiz.

Genelkurmay Başkanlığı"

Basically it says that pro-coup army have full control over the country.

That's from 5 hours ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom