• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live feed ended

I'm going to take a wild guess, coup military has been ordered to basically do what they need to do in order to clear the streets and force dispersion.

Don't see any other reason why they would have jets shoot at the government loyal police force and protestors

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Something fucking doesn't add up. If the coup is a small portion of the army, why is the bulk of the non-coup army not doing anything? How do they have jets just strafing people?

SuperSah

Banned
Don't be fooled by the propaganda. This isn't over yet unfortunately. There will be more blood, more casualties. It's a terrible situation. I really don't care about the outcome at this point, I just want civilians to be safe.

Some of them are to blame. They should know better than to walk outside a blatant and obvious dangerous zone.

They're up against armed military, it's kind of their fault some got injured. It's disgusting that anyone HAS been injured but let's not act like the civilians don't have some level of responsibility for their own injuries here.

Something fucking doesn't add up. If the coup is a small portion of the army, why isn't the bulk of the non-coup army not doing anything? How do they have jets just strafing people?

The coup is saying that the military controls the majority of the country at this point.

There is a lot of mis-information and certainly dis-information going on.

CNN TURK TV forced to go offline by FORCES.

qO7ropZ.png

commedieu

Banned
Something fucking doesn't add up. If the coup is a small portion of the army, why isn't the bulk of the non-coup army not doing anything? How do they have jets just strafing people?

Right. How do they still have jets in the air... if there's no support for the coup. Uhm... nato? This needs your help.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't be fooled by the propaganda. This isn't over yet unfortunately. There will be more blood, more casualties. It's a terrible situation. I really don't care about the outcome at this point, I just want civilians to be safe.

Really incredibly cynic and disgusting to call for civilians to go on the streets against rebelling army (who has all to lose at this point). It would be a miracle if there won't be more casualties.

I'm surprised that the army suddenly open fire like that, so far they only attacked tactic points. But shoot civils like that ? That's odd.

Yeah that kind of goes counter to their message (thanks again for the response btw nynt9 - just realized it was on the front page too although I'm hoping they provide more info than just that).

Could parts of the military be just observing the situation right now deciding on who to support? No attempts have been made by loyal troops to stop this.

The conspiracy theoriest in me thinks that this was set up by Erdoğan so he could go full dictator

Some of them are to blame. They should know better than to walk outside a blatant and obvious dangerous zone.

They're up against armed military, it's kind of their fault some got injured. It's disgusting that anyone HAS been injured but let's not act like the civilians don't have some level of responsibility for their own injuries here.

Man this really reads like victim blaming (not sure if it is). It's disgusting all around. Militaries are meant to protect their people not tear them apart in half.

Violet_0

Banned
This is one hell of a propaganda war.

I fear this will descend into civil war though, based on these latest reports.

there doesn't seem to be much support for the coup. The opposition was against it and half of Turkey voted for Erdogan half a year ago. Now he'll only come out stronger out of this situation and perhaps gain enough political momentum to dismantle their democracy entirely. The way I see it, Turkey is going to pay for this folly for years to come

It's either you shoot them or surronder. Unless you're willing to shoot your own people you don't really have another choice.

No doubt, especially if they're just basic foot soldiers who weren't privy to the planning or anything.

Guess they're just taking their chances they won't be executed afterwards.

Seems like there's some real escalation going on now, hoping civilians stay safe.

Ehm, translation please?

Türk Silahlı Kuvvetleri; anayasal düzeninin, demokrasinin, insan hak ve özgürlüklerinin tekrar temin ve tesisi; ülkede hukukun üstünlüğünün yeniden hakim kılınması; bozulan asayiş düzeninin tekrar sağlanması; maksadıyla ülke yönetimine bütünüyle el koymuştur.

Tüm uluslararası anlaşmalarımız ve taahhütlerimiz geçerliliğini korumaktadır. Tüm dünya ülkeleri ile iyi ilişkilerimizin devam edeceğini temenni ederiz.

Genelkurmay Başkanlığı

Translation:
Turkish Armed Forces; The constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms and plant supplied again; The judge again made the rule of law in the country; the re-establishment of the deteriorating public security order; purpose of the administration of the country was completely confiscated.

All international agreements and our commitment remains valid. with all countries of the world, we hope to continue our good relations.

espher

CORRECTION
Footage I posted below with quotes
"PEOPLE ARE BEING KILLED WITH AUTOMATIC RIFLES RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE MAIN TURKISH ARMED FORCES HQ"
I may be wrong, this may be in front of the Grand National Assembly of Turkey. I cannot confirm who were shooting at this people.

re: that NSFL video.

There is way too much confusion to know who has what and who is doing what in a lot of these cases. :/

oti

Banned

Come on man, I'm sure some of them really feel like they are defending their country, some are just blinded my patriotism. But nobody deserves this. Those poor people.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The conspiracy theoriest in me thinks that this was set up by Erdoğan so he could go full dictator

Not when you consider that the Ankara parliament is repeatedly being bombed, and Istanbul might be as well.

antonz

The Coup is probably a lot larger than the Turkish media is letting on. Its easy to bring out High Ranking Officers who Erdogan put in place himself and have them claim all is normal.

This is a coup by the military that has not been forcibly replaced yet. I mean we have still seen nothing to support the supposed shoot downs of helicopters etc. that Erdogan forces have claimed.

Jets are flying low over Taksim, police is shooting at them
Good way of forcing them to shoot back and civilians then getting hit in the crossfire. Idiots.

I'm surprised that the army suddenly open fire like that, so far they only attacked tactic points. But shoot civils like that ? That's odd.
I wonder what changed...

Anyway #prayforturkey
If Police forces start firing at the military (despite that being utterly pointless) amidst civilians like what happened on the Taksim Plaza, the Military will be forced to react and shoot back in self defense. This will result in civilian casualties.

SuperSah

Banned
Come on man, I'm sure some of them really feel like they are defending their country, some are just blinded my patriotism. But nobody deserves this. Those poor people.

Man this really reads like victim blaming (not sure if it is). It's disgusting all around. Militaries are meant to protect their people not tear them apart in half.

Not victim blaming at all. It's just some people knew walking into this wouldn't mean walking out unscathed.

It's really, really sad and it's making me sick to think of the casualties, but many could have been prevented by staying at home and putting safety ahead of politics.

Cocaloch

do you think those people removing Erdogan with force will lead to a better Turkey? honest question.
i truly hate Erdogan btw.

Maybe, as ever with these sorts of things its a difficult question.

That would be a nice thing for militariesto be, but historically that isn't really true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom