• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

Ok time has come again for me to walk away from the thread guys. Mods are doing a good job of keeping things up to date anyway, and doesn't look like situation will be resolved soon. Just spoke to my parents and they're ok, they were close by to the place the helicopter opened fire but they're staying down. My nerves can't take more of this situation and some of the commentary here right now. Also the body count racking up is awful as well.

BigAl1992

Breaking911 ‏@Breaking911 2m2 minutes ago
URGENT: Large Explosion Heard At Istanbul's Airport.

Fuck, it's really the airport.

I mean, we don't even know if it's the coup that controls those jets doing low flying straifs

But then again, the police are pro-government and they are firing at the jets.

If the coup has some type of air capability, how the fuck did Erdoğan land, why would he be anywhere near coup forces?

At this point I don't believe anything. The ones who are lucky enough to be far away from it should just wait and see how it develops and stop jumping to conclusions and people in Turkey_ Stay safe and in your homes.

I believe you. But can I have your source?

Reminiscent of "Shock And Awe"

Cnck-uzXEAAGnZw.jpg

And thus an autocratic islamist gets to go ahead to rule his country as a dictator with the military completely defanged to go against him.

This will not end well.

Ok time has come again for me to walk away from the thread guys. Mods are doing a good job of keeping things up to date anyway, and doesn't look like situation will be resolved soon. Just spoke to my parents and they're ok, they were close by to the place the helicopter opened fire but they're staying down. My nerves can't take more of this situation and some of the commentary here right now. Also the body count racking up is awful as well.

Hope your family and TurkeyGAF stay safe.

sangreal

Breaking911 ‏@Breaking911 2m2 minutes ago
URGENT: Large Explosion Heard At Istanbul's Airport.

Fuck, it's really the airport.

Really surprising that Erdogan felt safe enough to land there. It's one thing to put out propaganda about being in total control, but you're not supposed to believe it yourself

Lucumo

People are not supporting "this".

People are supporting getting rid of Erdogan.

The situation right now is basically "I really want them to succeed to get rid of Erdogan, but not like this!"

This is what always happens though. Makes you wish people would be smart enough and stay at home.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Its the nature of false flags. Not saying it IS the case, but usually when they try to stage these things, they go into it knowing there will be deaths.

A small attempt on his life or something like that maybe, but not this, no one is this dumb.

Please stay safe.

I mean, we don't even know if it's the coup that controls those jets doing low flying straifs

But then again, the police are pro-government and they are firing at the jets.

If the coup has some type of air capability, how the fuck did Erdoğan land, why would he be anywhere near coup forces?

Exactly, how come they didn't just shoot down his plane?

ntinosaur

Things seem to get uglier and uglier by the minute...

Fuck... I'm in Greece, it's almost 4 am (same hour as Turkey) and i'm supposed to go to bed after seeing bodies torn in half... what a stupid fucker i am...

What can i say ? TurkGaf stay safe...

Something fucking doesn't add up. If the coup is a small portion of the army, why is the bulk of the non-coup army not doing anything? How do they have jets just strafing people?

Yeah this is the thing that's making this still pretty confusing to me.

Either shit is a lot worse than let on, or there is some massive confusion going on in the military regarding orders??

Worried as to what will happen in Turkey after (i presume) the coup fails. I imagine the coup will be used to excuse further crackdowns on Human rights, curtailing of democracy and roll back against democracy.

Chaos17

I don't see how can anyone support a coup that kills civilians like this, and on top of that they are bombing state buildings, truly a coup for peace

I do not but there is something fishy here. We've a side of military who is not killing any channel station hostages they take over and suddenly boom they fire on civil ?! Something is not right.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder if the soldiers retreating or surrendering in Istanbul was just a trap for Erdogan. The situation seems very strange now.

jm89

Not victim blaming at all. It's just some people knew walking into this wouldn't mean walking out unscathed.

It's really, really sad and it's making me sick to think of the casualties, but many could have been prevented by staying at home and putting safety ahead of politics.

Your victim blaming and it's disgusting. These protesters should not have to put safety ahead of politics.

Arnie7

Banned
Seriously how amateur was this coup?

Everyone knows their first target should have been securing state media and news outlets.

They let the whole thing got out of hand when Erdogan did his facetime move inciting his supporters live on CNN.

Thing would have gone more smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom