• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

trembli0s

So, the Hitler comparisons are going to start shortly right?

I imagine a program to exterminate the Kurds is already in development.

Jeels

Great, "a new Turkey" means one of the few examples of a modern secular Muslim nation is over. :/ It wasn't perfect but no country is (requires constant iteration) and was a great model that showed you can have a pluralistic Muslim majority country. Sad day.

ezrarh

Not clear of anything, but why would he be so confident to land in Istanbul right away? Especially with fighter jets still flying around.

Uhyve

Some stuff from Erdogan, per translator being shown on MSNBC

These people will punished in the harshest way.
Uprising is a gift from god to help us clean out the military of this gang.
Something about meetings concerning the army coming up, these people were afraid of what decisions would be made in those meetings.

Per the person translating, yes.
Sounds North Korea-y, good luck Turkey...

2016: Establishment of the Islamic Republic of Turkey, new Iran style Islamic Guards Corps on the way to replace the army.

If they aren't already EU officials in Brussels should be shredding all documents relating to Turkey's accession to the EU right about now.
Iran style will be a bit difficult in Sunni Turkey because, Sunni doesn't have a sacred religious figure like the lost Imam I'm Shia

Joeytj

Banned
Is there any chance NATO kicks Turkey out, Erdogan sides with Putin or if Putin is even willing?

As radical or authoritarian as Turkey is about to become, I don't think NATO would kick them out. Erdogan will probably still cling to a semblance of democracy, enough that NATO will tolerate him just to keep the nukes there or keep Russia out.

They've supported worse dictators, so.

Chaos17

So what are the countries that supported this small military faction and what to benefit from taking out Erdogan?

Conspiracy theories begin to emerge: president turk maybe did that false coup to get ride of the army power since it's strange the the jets of the coup party didn't shoot him down in his plane. Now Eragan is trying to pin this on his mortal enemy Gulen.

Gulen still announced during th coup that he was against it.

The coup group declared as an armed terrorist organisation, by Erdoğan.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

So maybe that president never needed any help.
Anyway, I hope he is going to tend to wounds of his people now after asking them risking their lives for him.
This time I'm really out.

bidguy

Banned
Is there any chance NATO kicks Turkey out, Erdogan sides with Putin or if Putin is even willing?

As radical or authoritarian as Turkey is about to become, I don't think NATO would kick them out. Erdogan will probably still cling to a semblance of democracy, enough that NATO will tolerate him just to keep the nukes there or keep Russia out.

They've supported worse dictators, so.

why would they kick them out now ? for successully repelling a coup attempt ? get real

Breads

Banned
Okay I need a break from trying to absorb the situation.

As it stands right now it feels like the coup was a conspiracy by Erodogan himself to divide Turkish civilians from the rest of the world that he will play as having supported the coup all in order to secure whatever powers he wants to whatever ends he desires.

And that sounds really dumb. It's clear sources are way too disparate and unreliable to get a good picture of what is going on.

My heart goes out to Turkey though. This shit is sounding really complicated.

Staged? No.

But I think he knew about it and fooled the supposed coup leader that they had more support than they thought. And so when it came around, Edrogan knew when to leave and when to return.

If Edrogan knew of the coup ahead of time, he could have easily pulled this off. What the small coup army pulled was outside his control, and any causualties would just make him seem even better.

End game - I'm damn sure he knew about it, but he didn't stage it. He let things happen, knowing he would win.

/farfetchedtheory

qazqaNii

He just said that after he left Marmaris, the pro-coup military came there and bombed his "last known" spot there. Dude barely made it, it seems.

Great, "a new Turkey" means one of the few examples of a modern secular Muslim nation is over. :/ It wasn't perfect but no country is (requires constant iteration) and was a great model that showed you can have a pluralistic Muslim majority country. Sad day.

Its honestly depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom