• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

trembli0s

Okay I need a break from trying to absorb the situation.

As it stands right now it feels like the coup was a conspiracy by Erodogan himself to divide Turkish civilians from the rest of the world that he will play as having supported the coup all in order to secure whatever powers he wants to whatever ends he desires.

And that sound really dumb. It's clear sources are way too disparate and unreliable to get a good picture of what is going on.

My heart goes out to Turkey though. This shit is sounding really complicated.

Erdogan has been putting the screws on the secular Turks, the military, and the Kurds for the last few years, all to stay in power.

By piece meal replacing the military brass, he put increased pressure on them to attempt a coup at some point. He knew this was coming and was pushing for it.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I wonder what he's going to call himself now.

"Supreme general chairman councilor god emperor"? Does that translate well into Arabic?

Well he wants to bring back the Empire right, and his bros in Istanbul backed him up, so we're going old school and bringing this gem, "Kayser-i-Rûm" back.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think the people of Turkey right now are educating the world with millions in the ground fighting the coup unarmed. Just sit back, relax and enjoy their bravery.
Oh, I'm sure they'll be enjoying their new totalitarian dictatorship soon enough.

4-star-wars-quotes.gif

George Lucas seems like a slightly better writer in retrospect.

What Erdogan is saying now is suspicious as fuck. Called the coup a "gift from god" that will let him clean up the military.
Erdogan doesn't even care even more and is just saying what he thinks outright. The more this escalates and the more civilians he gets killed, the better for him if he ends up on top. And seeing how willing people seem to die for him, there won't even be any repercussions for him showing his real, calculating and ruthless face on live TV.

Joeytj

Banned
why would they kick them out now ? for successully repelling a coup attempt ? get real

No, not for this. But it's now a real possibility that Erdogan will use this failed coup to seize more power and probably further destroy civil liberties and democracy in Turkey. If the worst possible scenario happens as a result of this failed coup, how much will NATO or the U.S. be willing to tolerate from Erdogan?

Jeels

Ugh, I told my dad I'm sad and he said "Erdogan has been great for Turkey" when I mentioned things like getting rid of opposition and journalists his response was "Turkey is an Islamic country. If the journalists get too liberal that's what he should be doing".

This is the mentality folks. Have fun.

Kolx

How can Ardogan convince all of the high generals involved in this coup to basically sacrifice their lives for him? A part of the military was already done with him so they planned a coup but had a bit optimistic expectations for the support of the population (or maybe even some other parts of the military who backed out at the last minute )

Not clear of anything, but why would he be so confident to land in Istanbul right away? Especially with fighter jets still flying around.
I don't think there are jets flying over Istanbol. There are over Ankara tho.

Arnie7

Banned
Erdogan saying this will result in "cleaning up the army"

What Erdogan is saying now is suspicious as fuck. Called the coup a "gift from god" that will let him clean up the military.

I know this will sound dorky but this looks awfully close to that Star Wars shit

exactly like it.

Citizens of the civilized galaxy, on this day we mark a transition. For a thousand years, the Republic stood as the crowning achievement of civilized beings. But there were those who would set us against one another, and we took up arms to defend our way of life against the Separatists. In so doing, we never suspected that the greatest threat came from within.

The Jedi, and some within our own Senate, had conspired to create the shadow of Separatism using one of their own as the enemy's leader. They had hoped to grind the Republic into ruin. But the hatred in their hearts could not be hidden forever. At last, there came a day when our enemies showed their true natures.

The Jedi hoped to unleash their destructive power against the Republic by assassinating the head of government and usurping control of the clone army. But the aims of would-be tyrants were valiantly opposed by those without elitist, dangerous powers. Our loyal clone troopers contained the insurrection within the Jedi Temple and quelled uprisings on a thousand worlds.

The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated! Any collaborators will suffer the same fate. These have been trying times, but we have passed the test. The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger. The war is over. The Separatists have been defeated, and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled. We stand on the threshold of a new beginning. In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for ten thousand years.

goomba

Banned
This wont be the end of it. Civil war is a very real possibility and you bet your ass certain foriegn powers supported the coup.

Crosseyes

Banned
Ugh, I told my dad I'm sad and he said "Erdogan has been great for Turkey" when I mentioned things like getting rid of opposition and journalists his response was "Turkey is an Islamic country. If the journalists get too liberal that's what he should be doing".

This is the mentality folks. Have fun.
*sigh* Trump and Brexit on one end of the world. Ergodan and ISIS on the other.

Well all things considered we had things pretty peaceful in the world for a while.

first some of you guys were coup gushing

then some of you guys were like well he is worst when the atrocities started occurring

then some of you guys said Erdogan is a scum for allowing protests and yet turn a blind eye to the coup members using Hard rounds on civilians and bombing institution

then some of you guys started insulting and cursing the citizens and parties that joined the governments side

then you fear mongered even more

Now it is conspiracy theories of a false flag

Erdogan is bad indeed but some of you are just hypocritical

Basically either Edrogan in some way wanted this to happen, or Turkey as a state and power is massively overvalued and possibly failed where a small force could so destabilize that country like that.

Baki

Some of them are to blame. They should know better than to walk outside a blatant and obvious dangerous zone.

They're up against armed military, it's kind of their fault some got injured. It's disgusting that anyone HAS been injured but let's not act like the civilians don't have some level of responsibility for their own injuries here.

Victim blaming...? Fucking hell.

espher

then some of you guys were like well he is worst when the atrocities started occurring

then some of you guys said Erdogan is a scum for allowing protests and yet turn a blind eye to the coup members using Hard rounds on civilians and bombing institution

then some of you guys started insulting and cursing the citizens and parties that joined the governments side

OK, bud.

It's almost like hundreds of different people with different view points are posting in the thread at different times with different regularity.

Great, "a new Turkey" means one of the few examples of a modern secular Muslim nation is over. :/ It wasn't perfect but no country is (requires constant iteration) and was a great model that showed you can have a pluralistic Muslim majority country. Sad day.

Malaysia ain't that religious tho. Part of my family is from there. I've also been there on numerous occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom