• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

espher

okay what? look at the past pages posts

and look at the bloody news

I have been. I've been reading this thread since it started. You're being pretty hyperbolic with some of those lines and assuming it's consistently the same actors. This is a hugely active thread with a ton of people commenting in it.

Yeah, there were people on individual points swinging that far anti-Erdogan, and there were equally delusional people going far pro-Erdogan. That's what happens with something like this. If you're not parsing it and stacking it all to be like "lol, you guys are dumb", guess which side you're on? ;)

Great response.

It matched the effort of the post it quoted, if nothing else. :)

dakun

first some of you guys were coup gushing

then some of you guys were like well he is worst when the atrocities started occurring

then some of you guys said Erdogan is a scum for allowing protests and yet turn a blind eye to the coup members using Hard rounds on civilians and bombing institution

then some of you guys started insulting and cursing the citizens and parties that joined the governments side

then you fear mongered even more

Now it is conspiracy theories of a false flag

Erdogan is bad indeed but some of you are just hypocritical

lol that misrepresentation. well done dude.

Markoman

I never heard about reichstag. Can someone explain it to me?

When Hitler became chancellor of Germany he still had to play by democratic rules.
Then someone set the Reichstag (house of parliament) on fire. The Nazis claimed it was a Dutch communist, calling it an immediate attack on Germany. Sounds familiar, eh? This was basically the legislation for Hitler to active order 66 (Reichtagsbrandverordnung) making him the ultimate leader (president and chancellor at the same time), all civil rights limited, martial law...you can figure out the rest of the story.

Oriel

Iran style will be a bit difficult in Sunni Turkey because, Sunni doesn't have a sacred religious figure like the lost Imam I'm Shia

Not talking about lost Imam's, I'm referring to Erdogan potentially creating his own uber-loyal military branch modelled on the IRGC that will take instructions from him and him alone. The Mullahs immediately after the Iranian Revolution created the IRGC due to distrust of the Shah military they inherited. So any future possible revolt by the army could be put down by a military force loyal to Erdogan. All great despots must have their own secret force you understand.

orochi91

then some of you guys were like well he is worst when the atrocities started occurring

then some of you guys said Erdogan is a scum for allowing protests and yet turn a blind eye to the coup members using Hard rounds on civilians and bombing institution

then some of you guys started insulting and cursing the citizens and parties that joined the governments side

Agreed, especially the bolded.

This coup was an utter disaster.

Not talking about lost Imam's, I'm referring to Erdogan potentially creating his own uber-loyal military branch modelled on the IRGC that will take instructions from him and him alone. The Mullahs immediately after the Iranian Revolution created the IRGC due to distrust of the Shah military they inherited. So any future possible revolt by the army could be put down by a military force loyal to Erdogan. All great despots must have their own secret force you understand.

I find it hysterical that he fought so hard against Assad.

And has basically become Assad.

goomba

Banned
Name the foreign powers and the factions then.

unlike many conspiracy theroists in here claiming its all 100% sure a false flag fron Erdogan , i'm not going to make things up without evidence. The fact is Erdogan has enemies in many foriegn powers who would support a coup.

Dennis

Banned

Fascist Islamist would-be Dictator stays in power. Sections of GAF cheers.

I like my summary better.

Steel

Banned
unlike many conspiracy theroists in here claiming its all 100% sure a false flag fron Erdogan , i'm not going to make things up without evidence. The fact is Erdogan has enemies in many foriegn powers who would support a coup.

I stand on the side of "we have no idea what's really going on yet" but, really?

You call people out for stating a conspiracy theory without evidence only to spout a conspiracy theory without evidence.

espher

unlike many conspiracy theroists in here claiming its all a false flag fron Erdogan , i'm not going to make things up without evidence. The fact is Erdogan has enemies in many foriegn powers who would support a coup.

If I can be completely frank, there are a lot of things that make me raise my eyebrows about how this played out that tells me that it likely wasn't false flag but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some orchestration involved. For me, there are too many "how can something like A play out like B without C happening" points in here - but stranger things have happened and it could be all exactly as 'on the tin', so to speak.

I'd hate to see what you'd sound like as one...
It's definitely odd that Erdogan even attempted to land in Istanbul, nevermind successfully. When an attempted coup is going on, the country's leader putting himself in harm's way like that is extremely bizarre behavior wen their safety can't be guaranteed and it's potentially giving the coup exactly what they want, unless Erdogan knows something that would make him confident that being anywhere near Turkey is in fact safe despite the coup. That or he's just pure insane, but in that case his advisors should have been able to deter him from taking such a brash course of action, getting him to speak safely from a secured location instead. Something just doesn't add up at all. I don't know if this is staged or what, but there seems to be a huge missing piece somewhere right now because a sitting-President actually putting himself in harm's way instead of staying somewhere safe until they're able to learn definitively which way the wind is blowing is just extremely strange behavior that I can't make sense of.

unlike many conspiracy theroists in here claiming its all a false flag fron Erdogan , i'm not going to make things up without evidence. The fact is Erdogan has enemies in many foriegn powers who would support a coup.

So you're saying there's foreign support based on no evidence, but don't want to name names without evidence?

If I can be completely frank, there are a lot of things that make me raise my eyebrows about how this played out that tells me that it likely wasn't false flag but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some orchestration involved. For me, there are too many "how can something like A play out like B without C happening" points in here - but stranger things have happened.

Real life tends to be stranger than fiction.

goomba

Banned
I stand on the side of "we have no idea what's really going on yet" but, really?

You call people out for stating a conspiracy theory without evidence only to spout a conspiracy theory without evidence.

Stating that many foriegn powers oppose Erdogan is a conspiracy theory?

marrec

Banned
I mean, Erdogan is a right nasty fuck, but a coup this poorly organized and without support from the vast majority of the populace was stupidly dangerous and always doomed to fail.

vaderise

Okay i'm reporting from Turkey
There's still hot conflict between police and army.
Jet sounds can be heared anywhere.
People are still going out to the streets and they are sometimes under crossfire.
Bomb and gun sounds can be heard easily.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There were strange things happening with this coup, but not everything must be a conspiracy. What if the Turkish army is really this mediocre? That would explain some things.

espher

Real life tends to be stranger than fiction.

Absolutely. That's why it's an eyebrow-raiser and there are no smoking guns yet - just unconfirmed reports of them. ;)

I doubt we'll ever get clarity on how things played out, anyway. There's just a lot of weirdness.

Zapages

From Ottoman and WW I history, the power of the Caliph was transferred over to the Parliament (Grand Assembly) and the director of religious affairs due to

1) Ottoman / Modern Turkey not having control of Medina, Mecca, Jerusalem, and Damascus, and Baghdad after WWI
2) There will be no representives from those regions.
3) Separation of religion and state
4) Due to these reasons the Sultan and Caliph posts were abolished

The only post that he could bring back is the Caliph post but that would definitely lead to a coup with tons of support of the people... Plus you need support from all the Muslims to do something like that. Aside from that you will have to deal with crazies like ISIS, Al Qeada, and other folks.

Bearjewpiter

Neo Member
It's almost like hundreds of different people with different view points are posting in the thread at different times with different regularity.

giphy.gif

I could see that Erdogan coordinated this as it all seems to work out a little to well for him, especially after live rounds were used on civilians, it all just makes him seem like a savior figure. But then again I don't go in for consipiracy theories especially this early on when there's so much speculation. I believe that he should be out, he seems like a morally reprehensible person that takes advantage of terrible situations. I hope this can calm down without more bloodshed but I think we all know that won't be the case.

There were strange things happening with this coup, but not everything must be a conspiracy. What if the Turkish army is really this mediocre? That would explain some things.

I think this is quite possible. I admittedly don't know a lot about military forces and prepardness but Turkey hasn't been in the best situation for a long while now. I could see a lot of disconnect in communication, beliefs, morale, etc. happening in the Turkish military. Occam's razor can and should be used in most situations.

People are still going out to the streets and they are sometimes under crossfire.

Can you say in what part of Turkey you are located in? Like, what city?

I'm hearing news that coup has been repelled, but if there is still heavy fighting going on..

Stay safe.

orochi91

Oh wow, the coup is still on?

I guess this ain't over yet.

:eek:

I have been. I've been reading this thread since it started. You're being pretty hyperbolic with some of those lines and assuming it's consistently the same actors. This is a hugely active thread with a ton of people commenting in it.

Yeah, there were people on individual points swinging that far anti-Erdogan, and there were equally delusional people going far pro-Erdogan. That's what happens with something like this. If you're not parsing it and stacking it all to be like "lol, you guys are dumb", guess which side you're on? ;)

It matched the effort of the post it quoted, if nothing else. :)
So? I've been in this thread too from the start

what the heck does that even mean

and yes I said "some" and indeed there were some who did all the stuff listed

of course there were some that did some of the listed but not all and there were some who were new to the thread and posted ignorant stuff two but that doesn't change the point of those that from the get go twisted around in hypocrisy like a snake
lol that misrepresentation. well done dude.

sure deny it as much as you want when reality hits in

you can't be a good person if you don't acknowledge your faults

and I can say even I have done some faults in this very thread

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

In what city are you?

Ozigizo

Stay safe, man.

Ogodei

It's definitely odd that Erdogan even attempted to land in Istanbul, nevermind successfully. When an attempted coup is going on, the country's leader putting himself in harm's way like that is extremely bizarre behavior wen their safety can't be guaranteed and it's potentially giving the coup exactly what they want, unless Erdogan knows something that would make him confident that being anywhere near Turkey is in fact safe despite the coup. That or he's just pure insane, but in that case his advisors should have been able to deter him from taking such a brash course of action, getting him to speak safely from a secured location instead. Something just doesn't add up at all. I don't know if this is staged or what, but there seems to be a huge missing piece somewhere right now because a sitting-President actually putting himself in harm's way instead of staying somewhere safe until they're able to learn definitively which way the wind is blowing is just extremely strange behavior that I can't make sense of.

Some bad men can still be bold and brave, like Stalin staying in Moscow even as the Germans advanced. It inspired Orwell to rewrite a scene in Animal Farm where the Stalin-expy shows himself to be braver than the other Pigs, showing that badness is not tied to cowardice.

trembli0s

I mean, when you replace whole swathes of the command structure to implant your crony loyalists.... hardly surprising they can't run a good coup at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom