• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl1992

Okay i'm reporting from Turkey
There's still hot conflict between police and army.
Jet sounds can be heared anywhere.
People are still going out to the streets and they are sometimes under crossfire.
Bomb and gun sounds can be heard easily.

Mate, where are you? It'll be a lot better for us to know what the hell is happening.

Macam

Banned
unlike many conspiracy theroists in here claiming its all 100% sure a false flag fron Erdogan , i'm not going to make things up without evidence. The fact is Erdogan has enemies in many foriegn powers who would support a coup.

Again, name names. Otherwise, you are just making things up and piling on to conspiracy theories. Which foreign powers would support a coup? Which factions are going to engage in this civil war that's such a real possibility?

LNBL

Okay i'm reporting from Turkey
There's still hot conflict between police and army.
Jet sounds can be heared anywhere.
People are still going out to the streets and they are sometimes under crossfire.
Bomb and gun sounds can be heard easily.
Stay safe friend

Steel

Banned
Stating that many foriegn powers oppose Erdogan is a conspiracy theory?

Implying that foreign powers would stage a coup like this is a conspiracy theory. No country in the west would want Turkey, a valuable ally, destablized. Russia, possibly, but they need Turkey to be open, which it wouldn't be immediately after a coup.

I'm just saying that what you're stating is exactly as factual as the conspiracy theory you're railing against which starts from the fact that Erdogan does want more control of the millitary and this does give him the opportunity to clear house, which is as broad and factual as saying Erdogan has foreign enemies.

okay what? look at the past pages posts

and look at the bloody news
Last I checked Erdogan called the current situation that resulted in dozens if not hundreds dead (many probably a result of him asking civilians to charge the military unarmed) "a gift from god". Do you really wonder why some people are antagonistic towards him?

I mean, Erdogan is a right nasty fuck, but a coup this poorly organized and without support from the vast majority of the populace was stupidly dangerous and always doomed to fail.

Mid-level army officers may have felt this was their last chance. Erdogan has already culled top-level officers of those who are not sympathetic to him.

JaggedSac

Ugh, I told my dad I'm sad and he said "Erdogan has been great for Turkey" when I mentioned things like getting rid of opposition and journalists his response was "Turkey is an Islamic country. If the journalists get too liberal that's what he should be doing".

This is the mentality folks. Have fun.

Wow

espher

Erdogan is a very bad person indeed but this coup was far from holy and righteous

I would have been very surprised to see a bloodless coup attempt, tbh, esp. after they botched their opened and Erdogan was able to rally his supporters. It was definitely over once that happened and Istanbul was 'done'.

I have no idea what would have prompted them to engage civilians, esp. given in other sections the 'coup' soldiers surrendered without conflict. There's way too much unknown and bizarre about how this played out.

This is either the most poorly orchestrated coup that I can think of, or some sort of long-con chess game where the 'traitors' were pawns and were sacrificed.

dakun

sure deny it as much as you want when reality hits in

you can't be a good person if you don't acknowledge your faults

and I can say even I have done some faults in this very thread

wtf are you even talking about.. people were reacting to a developing situation. The situation evolved from a pretty peaceful coup to a an angry mob sent by Erdogan himself opposing the military, to people being shot and killed, and to top it all of Erdogan made his BS speech.

Things aren't now as they were 4 hours ago. People don't just evolve their opinion just because. Shit happened.

Diancecht

Friends in Istanbul are saying that low pass jets happening every 5 minute. One of my friend's windows are shattered because of the sonic boom.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So why exactly would the coup force attack the parlment?

pestul

Why the f didn't the Erdogon supporting army help? Send your unarmed populace out into the streets with some police officers instead.. I mean I guess the dissent in the forces must have caused concern at all levels, but if the first army was fully pro Erdogon, where were they?

Dennis

Banned
Ugh, I told my dad I'm sad and he said "Erdogan has been great for Turkey" when I mentioned things like getting rid of opposition and journalists his response was "Turkey is an Islamic country. If the journalists get too liberal that's what he should be doing".

This is the mentality folks. Have fun.

That mentality seems to be common among Erdogan supporters.

Breads

Banned
So? I've been in this thread too from the start

what the heck does that even mean

and yes I said "some" and indeed there were some who did all the stuff listed

of course there were some that did some of the listed but not all and there were some who were new to the thread and posted ignorant stuff two but that doesn't change the point of those that from the get go twisted around in hypocrisy like a snake

sure deny it as much as you want when reality hits in

you can't be a good person if you don't acknowledge your faults

and I can say even I have done some faults in this very thread

I'm not giving you a free pass on "some".

If you're keeping track then it should be pretty easy to name names. Until then I'm not buying these straw effigies you're asserting your superiority over.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fair points.

This uprising was a horrible gamble, as it just dawned on me that Erdogan will likely have these soldiers killed.

All those pictures of soldiers being arrested, my first thought was that it was kind of surreal to think that these were the last photos of them alive, because it's likely that they might die because of the coup. I wonder if Turkey has capital punishment.

Last I checked Erdogan called the current situation that resulted in dozens if not hundreds dead (many probably a result of him asking civilians to charge the military unarmed) "a gift from god". Do you really wonder why some people are antagonistic towards him?

yet the so called coup members ran over cars with a people in it, shot and civilians, bombed places with jets, told newsrooms to say their statements at gunpoint and shot heavy caliber machine gun attack helicopter bullets on citizens

I say it over and over again one guy ranting stuff doesn't justify the death of innocents

it is like me saying you should do atrocities because someone else does it

Oriel

From Ottoman and WW I history, the power of the Caliph was transferred over to the Parliament (Grand Assembly) and the director of religious affairs due to

1) Ottoman / Modern Turkey not having control of Medina, Mecca, Jerusalem, and Damascus, and Baghdad after WWI
2) There will be no representives from those regions.
3) Separation of religion and state
4) Due to these reasons the Sultan and Caliph posts were abolished

The only post that he could bring back is the Caliph post but that would definitely lead to a coup with tons of support of the people... Plus you need support from all the Muslims to do something like that. Aside from that you will have to deal with crazies like ISIS, Al Qeada, and other folks.

??? I never even mentioned the Caliph or Sultan! Read my post.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm in a touristic city Antalya but right now i'm chatting with my friends and they're sending me a lot of pictures videos and live feed from Izmir,Ankara amd Istanbul.

Be sure to continue to keep us up to date!

Edit: And stay safe!

All those pictures of soldiers being arrested, my first thought was that it was kind of surreal to think that these were the last photos of them alive, because it's likely that they might die because of the coup. I wonder if Turkey has capital punishment.

It's abolished in Turkey.

But Erdogan will chuck them in a hole somewhere and throw away the key. Bet.

Jeels

I hope the international community puts a shit ton of pressure on him to not essentially become a defacto dictator...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom