• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyLarry

I am being dead honest here, I know little to nothing about Turkey's politics. Anyone have a good link to catch up on things including the events that unfolded today or can anyone explain it in a simple way that does not show bias for either side of things?

Syncytia

Why the f didn't the Erdogon supporting army help? Send your unarmed populace out into the streets with some police officers instead.. I mean I guess the dissent in the forces must have caused concern at all levels, but if the first army was fully pro Erdogon, where were they?

That's not exactly a good strategy either. You then have two groups of the army, armed and going at each other. I don't see any scenario in which that ends well for anyone involved.

I dont know why people are up in arms about this, i know Erdogan is a POS however if a person like him was a leader of my country i would not be happy for this to happen. Civilians are going to get caught up in this, homes will be destroyed. Criminals will try to take advantage of this and steal like we see in riots. Even if he is ousted there is going to be permament damage to the people. Its easy to be up in arms when your not one of the citezens that have to experience the warzone.

I am being dead honest here, I know little to nothing about Turkey's politics. Anyone have a good link to catch up on things including the events that unfolded today or can anyone explain it in a simple way that does not show bias for either side of things?

To be perfectly honest it no one can really give an unbiased account besides there was some kind of coup. All the other details are up in the air

espher

So why exactly would the coup force attack the parlment?

Why would they not engage/capture Erdogan while he was 'away' from their two target cities, and why would they start this in the evening/on a weekend?

Why would they engage/attack unarmed civilians (unprovoked - I can see why if there were clashes with civilians that they would fight back, even if they didn't in many cases)?

Why would they be uncontested by military loyalists and only clash (and only in some places) with civilians and police?

Why would they take over and then cede media outlets (I'm still not sure what happened with CNN Turk)?

Why would they not intercept (or attempt to intercept) Erdogan flying into Istanbul? (This one I can kind of see, if they thought they could get him on the ground, but clearly they had no presence on the ground at that point.)

There's a lot that either comes down to a) massive incompetence or b) some conspiracy level false flag/planned thing (smaller force is set up to fail thinking there's more support than there actually is). It's just bizarre.out.

I hope the international community puts a shit ton of pressure on him to not essentially become a defacto dictator...

Hasn't worked so far. Why would you think it'll work now?

I dont know why people are up in arms about this, i know Erdogan is a POS however if a person like him was a leader of my country i would not be happy for this to happen. Civilians are going to get caught up in this, homes will be destroyed. Criminals will try to take advantage of this and steal like we see in riots. Even if he is ousted there is going to be permament damage to the people. Its easy to be up in arms when your not one of the citezens that have to experience the warzone.

O yeah. For people who don't like Erdogan this coup is pretty much the worst thing that could've happened. Justifies everything he's done up to this point and helps him consolidate power.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
One of my good friends, a bit older, has been in the USA since his pHD but he is incredibly intelligent and still has tons of family in Turkey.

I need to get in touch with him

Ok so how is this still going on with their air runs?
Guess most of the military still hasn't decided to step in and wants to see how things play out and/or are sympathizing with the coup forces. Also if the supreme commanding general is still a hostage, he won't be doing any mobilization anytime soon.

I also doubt anyone wants to engage coup forces that have absolutely nothing to lose now after what Erdogan just announced.

Alucrid

Banned

the term "up in arms" would imply that they would be against the coup

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Okay i'm reporting from Turkey
There's still hot conflict between police and army.
Jet sounds can be heared anywhere.
People are still going out to the streets and they are sometimes under crossfire.
Bomb and gun sounds can be heard easily.

Pleaae stay safe!

Shepard

That's not exactly a good strategy either. You then have two groups of the army, armed and going at each other. I don't see any scenario in which that ends well for anyone involved.
So the majority of the army, who supports the leader, would just let a small part of the force fight against civilians and the government and just chill? Nah, fishy as fuck.

Jarmel

Banned

He's partly to blame for the civilians being caught up in this.

Acorn

I hope the international community puts a shit ton of pressure on him to not essentially become a defacto dictator...
The west is kinda over the barrel because of Turkey acting as a buffer zone. He could end like NK (no not in hr terms, geopolitical). Hated by everyone but seen as a useful doorstop.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So why does it seem like the soldiers on the ground for the MOST PART aren't as trigger happy as their air force friends? I'm seeing many videos and reports where soldiers aren't even holding their weapon in a ready position as they are surrounded by pro-Erdogan protesters. Even reports of soldiers retreating and firing in the air while protesters advance. Yet the air force is openly shooting at civilians.

Ugh, I told my dad I'm sad and he said "Erdogan has been great for Turkey" when I mentioned things like getting rid of opposition and journalists his response was "Turkey is an Islamic country. If the journalists get too liberal that's what he should be doing".

This is the mentality folks. Have fun.

I don't think it's true of a lot of the older generation in America... My friend's parents and most of his extended Turkish family dislike Erdogan immensely, though they've lived in America since the early 70s.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why would they not engage/capture Erdogan while he was 'away' from their two target cities, and why would they start this in the evening/on a weekend?

Why would they engage/attack unarmed civilians (unprovoked - I can see why if there were clashes with civilians that they would fight back, even if they didn't in many cases)?

Why would they be uncontested by military loyalists and only clash (and only in some places) with civilians and police?

Why would they take over and then cede media outlets (I'm still not sure what happened with CNN Turk)?

Why would they not intercept (or attempt to intercept) Erdogan flying into Istanbul? (This one I can kind of see, if they thought they could get him on the ground, but clearly they had no presence on the ground at that point.)

There's a lot that either comes down to a) massive incompetence or b) some conspiracy level false flag/planned thing (smaller force is set up to fail thinking there's more support than there actually is). It's just bizarre.out.

Also, how exactly was this coup put down? I have yet to hear any report at all of military VS military, so how exactly did that play out?

So the majority of the army, who supports the leader, would just let a small part of the force fight against civilians and the government and just chill? Nah, fishy as fuck.
If they truly backed the president then the coup attempt (particularly the air forces) would have been crushed within hours.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Worked against Putin.

Wait...

what's the opposite of worked?

Well Putin is not in NATO or trying to get into the EU. That might be a good pressure point.

However, Erdogan has used the immigrant crisis as a pressure point on Europe, so...

//DEVIL//

Well he is not wrong. Its like this in most if not all islamic countries. Regardless of what people in the west think about it being right or wrong.

Also. People there saw what happend in the countries that are close to them. What was going to happen in turkey is exactly what happened in syria and other arabic countries . Which will lead to nothing but total war of the country and immegrations and other bs . This time people in turkey decided not to go that route so it doesnt lead to the destruction.

I know some folks here will come and say shit about the president or about freedom rights etc, but fail to understand that they have been like and ok with for years.

I think muslin people are starting to believe that these kind of coup is by a helping hand from the west to tear apart muslim countries one by one and they don't want . That simple.

To them at this point being rules by kinda a bad president ( assuming he is bad i am not going there ) is much better than breaking up another islamic country so the west can take control of it whatever they think the West is doing

pestul

So why does it seem like the soldiers on the ground for the MOST PART aren't as trigger happy as their air force friends? I'm seeing many videos and reports where soldiers aren't even holding their weapon in a ready position as they are surrounded by pro-Erdogan protesters. Even reports of soldiers retreating and firing in the air while protesters advance. Yet the air force is openly shooting at civilians.
Probably a desensitisation of violence and killing from a distance as seen in many previous conflicts. Carpet bombing from WWII for example. After missions most wouldn't likely dwell on the fact that they just killed thousands of people. Ground level is more intimate.

Also, how exactly was this coup put down? I have yet to hear any report at all of military VS military, so how exactly did that play out?

Most soldiers probably balked at the whole "You're gonna have to shoot protestors' thing

Gotta hand it to Erdogan, getting his people to be his human meat shields was a good play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom