• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
TheRealTalker is right, a lot of people in this thread were highly hostile towards anyone who even dared to criticize this coup. These things rarely resolve in a non-violent way
there's also pages filled with posts that paint Erdogan as being soley responsible for the casualties - completely ignoring the fact that it was the rebel troops that killed them. Erdogan isn't entirely blameless but he also didn't order the soldiers to open fire at civilians

a bleak future lies ahead of Turkey now

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Most soldiers probably balked at the whole "You're gonna have to shoot protestors' thing

Gotta hand it to Erdogan, getting his people to be his human meat shields was a good play.

So the coup was defeated by doing nothing? The choppers, aircrafts, everyone just went home just like that, without facing any opposition, because Erdogan told people to go in the streets? Really?

Right. Turkey is North Korea, the people are all brainwashed. Get out of here with this hyperbole.

I dunno Erdogan called for his people to go outthere and fight soldiers who were more armed than they were and the citizens happily complied.

What kind of leader asks for civilians to fight the military.

Crosseyes

Banned
Any such actions would likely just cement his power even as it drives Turkey into the ground.
If Turkey is on a one way trip to an Islamic dictatorship then driving it into the ground may unfortunately be the best option for the rest of the world at large. As sad as that may be.

espher

Also, how exactly was this coup put down? I have yet to hear any report at all of military VS military, so how exactly did that play out?

It really seems that most guys on the ground surrendered, at least in Istanbul, because they didn't want to shoot their own people. Like that was relatively bloodless.

This whole thing played out perfectly for Erdogan and in under a quarter day, basically (acknowledging Ankara is still hot).

It's bizarre.

Well Putin is not in NATO or trying to get into the EU. That might be a good pressure point.

However, Erdogan has used the immigrant crisis as a pressure point on Europe, so...
European leaders are too dependent on Erdogan keeping refugees in Turkey, so that anti-refugee doesn't see a surge again that might, gods forbid, threaten the current leaders in upcoming elections. I also doubt that Turkey being the 2nd largest NATO member is a weakness, more the opposite.

Diancecht

Roof of the National Assembly.

tbmmxeqgm.png

Alucrid

Banned
So the coup was defeated by doing nothing? The choppers, aircrafts, everyone just went home just like that, without facing any opposition, because Erdogan told people to go in the streets? Really?

you're asking questions that can't be answered by anyone here at the moment

kirblar

TheRealTalker is right, a lot of people in this thread were highly hostile towards anyone who even dared to criticize this coup. These things rarely resolve in a non-violent way
there's also pages filled with posts that paint Erdogan as being soley responsible for the casualties - completely ignoring the fact that it was the rebel troops that killed them. Erdogan isn't entirely blameless but he also didn't order the soldiers to open fire at civilians

He asked his supporters to go after the soldiers and brought them into the conflict. He's entirely to blame for that.

Right. Turkey is North Korea, the people are all brainwashed. Get out of here with this hyperbole.
Saying that Erdogan's supporters are brainwashed or tricked is the charitable option.

The other option is that they're willfully destructive people who will go to bat for an authoritarian ruler, who doesn't respect freedom of speech, freedom of the press and minority rights.

marrec

Banned

There is still active fighting but it seems that the initial bid for takeover was put down by citizens taking to the streets.

Most in the army seem to want to NOT shoot civilians.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
One of my good friends, a bit older, has been in the USA since his pHD but he is incredibly intelligent and still has tons of family in Turkey.

I need to get in touch with him

I texted him waiting on an update.

wtf are you even talking about.. people were reacting to a developing situation. The situation evolved from a pretty peaceful coup to a an angry mob sent by Erdogan himself opposing the military, to people being shot and killed, and to top it all of Erdogan made his BS speech.

Things aren't now as they were 4 hours ago. People don't just evolve their opinion just because. Shit happened.

Peaceful coup, ya right.

Syncytia

So the majority of the army, who supports the leader, would just let a small part of the force fight against civilians and the government and just chill? Nah, fishy as fuck.

I suspect that in the middle of the night, by the time they could amass any force to go against the coup, there were already thousands of people in the streets. It didn't take long before protestors were everywhere and that is just such a bad situation. It would be absolute chaos. I think if there is a large group of loyal military, they saw that in general the coup was not just outright killing anyone opposing them, and if that continued there would be no reason for them to interfere and escalate.

I think it's sketchy as well, but I just don't see how sending in loyalist military helps. What happens after this to the soldiers 'just following orders'? You have high potential for military casualties and then who takes responsibility for that? I don't think there were any good options for them.

trembli0s

Get fucking real. A bleak future already lay ahead of Turkey with Erdogan stripping away Constitutional rights and protections to install himself as Chavez 2.0.

Now you'll just be able to add the Kurdish genocide onto Turkey's sterling past human rights abuses. I wait for the day when Shariah becomes law in Turkey and everyone whines.

BigAl1992

Right, I'm going to call it a night GAF. This coup is over, but really this is only the start of something much, much bigger in Turkey now, for better or worse. TurkeyGAF, stay safe out there.

I mean the fact the west is still allies Saudi Arabia tells us all we need to know about politicians burying their head in the sand when it comes to mutual benefit and turning a blind eye to the atrocities they commit.
So basically the west gets blamed when they don't interfere, and they get blamed when they do interfere.

The west can't win.

koji kabuto

I don't care about Erdogan, Send him and his political party leaders to a remote island for all i care.
But armed forces ruining over/shooting civilians in the streets is a totally different story.

Mully

Peaceful coup, ya right.

Initial reports from foreign outlets (in the sense that they're non-Turkish outlets) stated that the coup was on the verge of being successful and bloodless.

Obviously those reports were incorrect.

I think it's pretty unfair to chastise people who were rooting for the, at the time, bloodless ouster of Erdogan.

I suspect that in the middle of the night, by the time they could amass any force to go against the coup, there were already thousands of people in the streets. It didn't take long before protestors were everywhere and that is just such a bad situation. It would be absolute chaos. I think if there is a large group of loyal military, they saw that in general the coup was not just outright killing anyone opposing them, and if that continued there would be no reason for them to interfere and escalate.
Still wouldn't have prevented them from taking out the coup's air forces (which absolutely are their strongest asset), now would it?

I dunno Erdogan called for his people to go outthere and fight soldiers who were more armed than they were and the citizens happily complied.

Besides, that poster wasn't comparing Turkey to North Korea. They were simply saying just because people rose up and fought for the leader it doesn't mean that the leader was a good and fair one and didn't deserve toppling.

He asked his supporters to go after the soldiers and brought them into the conflict. He's entirely to blame for that.

indeed that was something that should be criticized and criticizing the coup initiators doesn't equal supporting or loving Erdogan when he does atrocities himself but two things can come from that statement

a) likely his supporters would go out any way (some did before his statement in the first place.... as seen on those periscope feeds in the beginning)

b) doesn't change the fact that army soldiers shot and killed civilians

There wont't be any change until people start feeling it in their pockets, honestly.

Turkey's tourism industry is about to hit a new low after this, but according to this article about the Economist Turkey's economy is slowing down but not really in bad shape.

However, as noted in there, inflation has been rising and there is slowdown already being seen. Time will tell what effect this coup will have on their economy, but more importantly what changes Erdogan is about to enact.

Bodies and rights etc don't really matter to the populace at large anymore, but rather how much money they have in their pocket.

Civilians do not fight their military. The military protects the civilian. When the military controls a country, they only way they do it is not by free elections, it's by using their weapon to scare the civilian population not to do anything about it (I.E a coup).

norinrad

What the hell happened? Ankara was on lock and now all of a sudden it's over?

We were this close to getting rid of him damnit.

Usually when said president has friends, powerful ones outside the country ie, NATO, US, EU providing intelligence behind the scenes, any coup d'etat will fail.

Mully

Civilians do not fight their military. The military protects the civilian. When the military controls a country, they only way they do it is not by free elections, it's by using their weapon to scare the civilian population not to do anything about it (I.E a coup).

It's a little different in Turkey.

Look at their history and you'll see a number of coups occurring and a new government being formed quickly thereafter.

Chaos17

So you're okay with the purge he will do soon ? (look at his last news)
He gonna take out more lives than the number of victims invoveld today with his new policies.
And let's not forget he is pro-islamic.

We will see if in few months you're still going to take his side and didn't wished that coup succeded. Dictator type people are all the same. That's what history told us.

I'm not for blooshed but I'm also against any type of gouvernement who strip citizens from their rights because it's also the normal citizen who will suffer in long term.

Jeels

You are completely missing the point the poster is trying to make and trying to take some moral high ground at the same time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom