• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just claimed foreign politicians have their "heads in the sand."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

I'm saying heads in the sand about keeping quiet about the allies they're with like SA despite its record as being awful for humans rights etc so why should we expect the same here? That's my point. Not much will happen because if said country provides certain benefits, blind eyes will be turned regardless of atrocities committed.

That or I'm tired. It's 3:14am lol

nynt9

So you're okay with the purge he will do soon ? (look at his last news)
He gonna take out more lives than the number of victims invoveld today with his new policies.
And let's not forget he is pro-islamic.

We will see if in few months you're still going to take his side and didn't wished that coup succeded. Dictator type people are all the same. That's what history told us.

I'm not for blooshed but I'm also against any type of gouvernement who strip citizens from their rights.

Just reminding people of what he had said:

Speaking of Erdogan being "democratically elected"
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...urkey-amid-arrests-and-military-a6938266.html

"In a speech to local politicians in Ankara, he criticised critics raising concern over Turkey’s record on “democracy, freedom and rule of law” as discussions over a landmark deal on the refugee crisis continue.

Turkish riot police use water cannon and tear gas to disperse supporters at Zaman daily newspaper headquarters
“For us, these phrases have absolutely no value any longer,” he said in the televised address, according to a translation by DPA."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-hitlers-germany-example-effective-government

"Asked on his return from a visit to Saudi Arabia whether an executive presidential system was possible while maintaining the unitary structure of the state, he said: “There are already examples in the world. You can see it when you look at Hitler’s Germany."

Since he said he looks up to Hitler's Nazi Germany as a state of governance, the Reichstag comparisons are pretty scary...

pestul

I'm on the side of wanting to see Erdogan ousted like many others, but I just can't get behind helicopters and an air force shooting at their own people. Being ex military I can see how some of the sad ground based engagements with civilians occurred with the tension.. but to shoot at them from the air too. Man.

The coup was peaceful until civilians were urged to get involved...

But civilians are unarmed. How the fuck would they stand a chance against loaded tanks and F16's. And of course civilians will get involved. If you cast a vote in an election, and some guy with a loaded gun takes away your choice (Wether you vote for the winner or not) why the fuck would you accept that. If you do, then you have zero freedom in your own country.

Violet_0

Banned
Get fucking real. A bleak future already lay ahead of Turkey with Erdogan stripping away Constitutional rights and protections to install himself as Chavez 2.0.

Now you'll just be able to add the Kurdish genocide onto Turkey's sterling past human rights abuses. I wait for the day when Shariah becomes law in Turkey and everyone whines.

well yes, it seems possible that Turkey will transform into a full-blown dictatorship in the near future, now with even more popular support. This desperate coup was nothing but an extremely costly failure. And just to be clear, I have zero sympathies for Erdogan
We will see if in few months you're still going to take his side and didn't wished that coup succeded. Dictator type people are all the same. That's what history told us
I'm not taking his side

Usually when said president has friends, powerful ones outside the country ie, NATO, US, EU providing intelligence behind the scenes, any coup d'etat will fail.
If that was the case there wouldn't have been a coup to begin with. Also things moved far too fast for any intelligence service to actually deliver information to...whom? The turkish military that hasn't really engaged the coup forces?

No, the West would have had far more to gain from the coup being successful than having a super-powered Erdogan in power with absolute control over the country.

//DEVIL//

I am sorry. But do you have anything against islam ? Keep your shit for your self and respect others religion.

There are many muslims that are respectful and peaceful just like there are good and bad in every fucking religion.

I'm on the side of wanting to see Erdogan ousted like many others, but I just can't get behind helicopters and an air force shooting at their own people. Being ex military I can see how some of the sad ground based engagements with civilians occurred with the tension.. but to shoot at them from the air too. Man.
Didn't help that their leader told his civilians "take to the streets".

A normal leader concerned for the safety of their citizens would very much stress the opposite.

I wish this coup was much stronger so Erdogan really could have been forced to go, and relatively peacefully without casualties. A lot of Turks really want Islamic law instead of Secular law then. Religion has no place as part of a state.

I am sorry. But do you have anything against islam ? Keep your shit for your self and respect others religion.

There are many muslims that are respectful and peaceful just like there good and bad in every fucking religion.
I could be wrong, but when I see someone post something like that in this thread I assume they're concerned about religion messing with government. You can look to people justifying banning dissenting journalists because "that's what an Islamic country should do" as evidence of this.

I don't want Ted Cruz to be President for the same reason, even though I'm Christian myself.

marrec

Banned
I wish this coup was much stronger so Erdogan really could have been forced to go, and relatively peacefully without casualties. A lot of Turks really want Islamic law then.

No matter how strong the coup was, Erdogan's ouster would NOT be a peaceful, pleasant experience for the populace.

:(

You are completely missing the point the poster is trying to make and trying to take some moral high ground at the same time...

A bloodless coup can be only measured when the military clashes with unarmed civilians. That clash occurred in Turkey and civilians were killed, therefore one can easily conclude that the coup was definitely not bloodless.

Jeels

There are many muslims that are respectful and peaceful just like there good and bad in every fucking religion.

Your statement is absolutely true but the problem is that Erdogan isn't.

I don't want Ted Cruz to be President for the same reason, even though I'm Christian myself.

<3

Pro-Islamic as in no separation between church and state aka backwards medieval policies

But civilians are unarmed. How the fuck would they stand a chance against loaded tanks and F16's. And of course civilians will get involved. If you cast a vote in an election, and some guy with a loaded gun takes away your choice (Wether you vote for the winner or not) why the fuck would you accept that. If you do, then you have zero freedom in your own country.
How about police forces opening fire on the military amidst crowds of civilians?

It seems like that was exactly what happened on the Taksim Square.

Also civilians can do plenty to scare soldiers into shooting them. Like charging at them, throwing rocks or molotov cocktails at them or lynching the ones they get their hands on.

Erdogan is an Islamist.

Most sensible people have a problem with that, yes. That's not the same thing as having a problem with Islam.

nynt9

I'm glad turkey is getting secured again. my heart goes out to the people who lost their lives in this failed coup

Yeah, you don't care at all about that. You've just been stanning Erdogan the whole thread and the moment the coup started having casualties you latched onto it and have been mentioning it at every opportunity. You're very transparent and I think it's gross.

There are many muslims that are respectful and peaceful just like there are good and bad in every fucking religion.

Islam and Islamism (political Islam) aren't the same thing.

Quirah

Istanbul is quiet since 1 hours after two bomb and some gun sounds that happened a hour ago. I don't know if this will be end. I wanna sleep but I can't.

well yes, it seems possible that Turkey will transform into a full-blown dictatorship in the near future, now with even more popular support. This desperate coup was nothing but an extremely costly failure. And just to be clear, I have zero sympathies for Erdogan

If it's a failure, it's in part because the secularist population in Turkey didn't march in support of the coup to defend secularism and against tyranny. Everything we've seen in the media tonight is pro-Erdogan people in the streets.

Shengar

Most probably false flag sets up by Erdogan. More reason for him to powergrab and purge the military even more. He gonna install himself as Sultan Erdogan the Everlasting.

So basically the west gets blamed when they don't interfere, and they get blamed when they do interfere.

The west can't win.
The thing is, when The West either intervene or not intervene, they do that not out of establishing freedom, democracy, or stability but for their own geopolitical interest. Then we have these many opposing sides (surprise! a country isn't a monolith) that wants foreign power for their own needs too. There is this the opposition who will lament for the neglect of the West for not helping their rightly cause. And then there's other side who will condemn any sign of intervention and breach of their sovereignty.

Have some decency at politics will you?
There wont't be any change until people start feeling it in their pockets, honestly.

Turkey's tourism industry is about to hit a new low after this, but according to this article about the Economist Turkey's economy is slowing down but not really in bad shape.

However, as noted in there, inflation has been rising and there is slowdown already being seen. Time will tell what effect this coup will have on their economy, but more importantly what changes Erdogan is about to enact.

Bodies and rights etc don't really matter to the populace at large anymore, but rather how much money they have in their pocket.
QFT

Shepard

I find it really hard for a non secular government to work, being it based on islam, christianism or anythig else. Maybe thats what he meant.

Crisium

Yeah, you don't care at all about that. You've just been stanning Erdogan the whole thread and the moment the coup started having casualties you latched onto it and have been mentioning it at every opportunity. You're very transparent and I think it's gross.

Ha. When I read your quote, without knowing who posted it, I already knew who you were talking about. You're quite correct.

//DEVIL//

I could be wrong, but when I see someone post something like that in this thread I assume they're concerned about religion messing with government. You can look to people justifying banning dissenting journalists because "that's what an Islamic country should do" as evidence of this.

I remember having the same conversation with someone on gaf before about the exact same point and still many people don't really get it because its not their religion, so they dont respect it and think its wrong etc . I am not going to go details about it because its pointless but not every country is the same in terms of rules and religion. Just because i don't agree with how things go in some X country doesnt mean that country is wrong and their religion is wrong etc .

So you're okay with the purge he will do soon ? (look at his last news)
He gonna take out more lives than the number of victims invoveld today with his new policies.

We will see if in few months you're still going to take his side and didn't wished that coup succeded. Dictator type people are all the same. That's what history told us.

I'm not for blooshed but I'm also against any type of gouvernement who strip citizens from their rights because it's also the normal citizen who will suffer in long term.

We aren't protecting Erdogan

Again he is bad and by all likely hood he will reign in more power but the coup was a bad idea with bad consequences which enraged the citizens of the country

and the last thing you do is go against the people

you don't fight fire with fire

If this coup didn't happen then they're could've been a chance of Erdogan being in power but approval rating dying down through time due to less happiness or struggles but alas now the very citizens you wanted to save (which I doubt since militaries usually do this for their own reason) were attacked tonight by their so called coup what will likely happen is the opposite of what some other hoped

Didn't help that their leader told his civilians "take to the streets".

A normal leader concerned for the safety of their citizens would very much stress the opposite.

Ever wonder why we still have the second ammendment? Its because we we are brave enough to fight off military tyranny. The Turkish people has done it with just their bodies and with zero weapon.

I remember having the same conversation with someone on gaf before about the exact same point and still many people don't really get it because its not their religion, so they dont respect it and think its wrong etc . I am not going to go details about it because its pointless but not every country is the same in terms of rules and religion. Just because i don't agree with how things go in some X country doesnt mean that country is wrong and their religion is wrong etc .
But this specific country seems to be on the wrong side, yeah? Their policies are wrong for sure.

Chaos17

Meh, I'm not really into conspiracy theory but when it adds up... I think it's good to have different point of view of the situation.

As a guy from Istanbul, I say it is just a miserable parody.

1) The junta only seized the state TV Channel and released a statement. All the government controlled TV channels were still broadcasting and high on propaganda too.

2) Timing is funny. Friday night, stock exchange is closed, Monday everything back to normal. Also before midnight does not make sense at all for a coup attempt. We have a tradition of waking up to coups very very early in the morning too.

3) The President Erdogan called people to rally in the streets, more importantly he invited everybody to the Airport which was interestingly significant. Why the Airport? Why not just the streets in general.

4) All TV channels used the same rhetoric, a word 'Kalk&#305;&#351;ma' which is rather an odd word for describing a failed coup attempt. Reminds me of "Disorganized Labor" of House of Cards.

5) All the mosques started reciting prayer almost simultaneously. They made announces encouraging people to get out in the streets to protest too.

6) People started receiving text messages to protest.

Pro government people are celebrating in the streets in a triumphant fashion. They will wake up victorius.

Erdogan will consolidate his power enormously and will justify every all of his unlawful actions from now on. Maybe can go for early elections and capitalize this, thus will be able to declare his Presidency or should I say Sultanate.

We are just fucked.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/4t1eob/breaking_newsmilitary_coup_in_turkey/d5dz6qt

Edit: people think it's to sweep those problem away maybe

[&#8211;]Elessun [score caché] il y a 9 minutes

I'm from Ankara with updates:

There are news of the military retreating (???) and if such is the case it is the worst possible news only second to that of people being killed.

So with that, if that's correct, I would like to tell you what I think of this.

With what has happened the past 12 hours:

The citizenship of Syrian refugees has been cleared off media and headlines, it's no longer being discussed heatedly so the government can do whatever they want.

The questioning of Erdogan's university diploma being a fake has also been cleared off the headlines and is in the same status as the refugee crysis.

Same with the presidency becoming a political role, as it shouldn't have been in this country.

What now you ask?

The government will excuse themselves with the new constitution surely following this so called coup attempt. Goodbye my beautiful secular country...
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/...stanbuls_bosphorus_bridges_are_closed/d5e4b2t

Wanting a theocratic state and oppressing minorities is about as clearly "wrong" as you can get.

krazen

We aren't protecting Erdogan

Again he is bad and by all likely hood he will reign in more power but the coup was a bad idea with bad consequences which enraged the citizens of the country

and the last thing you do is go against the people

you don't fight fire with fire

If this coup didn't happen then they're could've been a chance of Erdogan being in power but approval rating dying down through time due to less happiness or struggles but alas now the very citizens you wanted to save (which I doubt since militaries usually do this for their own reason) were attacked tonight by their so called coup what will likely happen is the opposite of what some other hoped

One could argue with his recent moves to consolidate presidential power his approval ratings wouldn't matter; he would have enough pieces to just ignore/sham/change any future election

Ashes

Banned
Erdogan is an Islamist.

Most sensible people have a problem with that, yes. That's not the same thing as having a problem with Islam.

Anybody we don't like is Islamist though. There's nothing sensible about any kind of fast and loose definitions, unless we're talking about specific groups such as ISIS or persons such as bin Laden.

pestul

Ever wonder why we still have the second ammendment? Its because we we are brave enough to fight off military tyranny. The Turkish people has done it with just their bodies and with zero weapon.
What about the silent coup who stayed in their homes hoping for it to end quickly and peacefully and Erdogan would be finished at the end of it?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Here's what I don't get.

If it's a coup - you fire your weapons. You don't let civilians take you captive. You kill them.

If it's a coup, when you have the President's airplane surrounded at the airport, you capture him. The President would've been target #1 in a coup. If it's a big deal, you know where he is, and you quickly take him into custody. How in god's name did he get out of the airport?

There's a lot that doesn't add up - though given the way the reporting is going, it may just be due to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom