• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really care for Erdogan but a coup is the wrong way to remove a democratically elected leader. It is a step backwards for the country and sets a poor example for the region.

Acorn

Assuming we are still talking in general and nothing personal here. Let me ask you this. Who the hell are you to insult the beliefs of others ? . If you act like that dont get mad when those people do the same to you and want to get rid of you for your beliefs because suprise surprise. They also think yours wrong.

Also you said minorty ? All this turkish people who are civlians with no guns stopped a coup are minorty ? Lol
Hateful fucking views don't deserve respect. You're a horrible person.

Ashes

Banned
You can play a ridiculous definition game if you want, but it's pretty clear what kind of camp Erdogan fits into.

All one needs to do is look at his very authoritarian rule and how he deals with freedom and minorities.

Identity politics is pretty much what is at play here.
You can throw around as many pejoratives as you want if that helps your case. But I don't think it does.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
d4dWPFM.png

Ya I'm leaning more toward the conspiracy nuts on this one :lol

ummm.... what the?

orochi91

Let me make it worse for you. Gay people in islam get killed by throwing stones at them. Does that make you feel better ?

If you or i don't agree with it and think these muslims people are wrong in this. I will just simply dont fucking go there and i dont want them in my country if they are not going to fucking respect my country. But i dont go to them and say you are a shit bag and you are wrong and we should get rid of you muslim people because we dont agree
This is an extremely upsetting mindset.

When human life and dignity is threatened, then yea, the perpetrators need to be called out/criticized and etc.

The people you're trying to defend in your scenario are extremists and radicals; there's zero reason to defend them.

If the coup forces had at least managed to get their hands on Erdogan then the whole thing would have had at least one positive outcome.

Sad how things are turning out.

Turkey is fucked. This was the last chance to get rid of Erdogan. The EU should tell Turkey to just fuck off. All liberal Turks should just emigrate for a better future.

Cocaloch

Don't really care for Erdogan but a coup is the wrong way to remove a democratically elected leader. It is a step backwards for the country and sets a poor example for the region.

You live in a country whose mondern incarnation was the result of a military coup in the relatively recent past.

Assuming we are still talking in general and nothing personal here. Let me ask you this. Who the hell are you to insult the beliefs of others ? . If you act like that dont get mad when those people do the same to you and want to get rid of you for your beliefs because suprise surprise. They also think yours wrong.

Also you said minorty ? All this turkish people who are civlians with no guns stopped a coup are minorty ? Lol
What in the bloody hell are you talking about?

Who am I? I guess I'm a person with a decent sense of the value of human life and liberty, whereas you're a terrible person with no regard for either.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say about minorities since you write completely incoherently. But the Turkish people who stopped the coup are obviously at least in large part of the tyranny of the majority.

Are you denying the oppression of women, LGBT, religious and ethnic minorities in Turkey? If so, GTFO.

qazqaNii

Thank god for this thread, made me use the ignore user option for the first time.

Thank god this coup seems to have failed, not 100% certain tho, hopefully the curfew thingy will be made clear, if it really exists at 6am or not.

This is easily one of the worst coups ever attempted

1) Fail to secure the head of state or kill head of state

1.5) Block bridges and roads when the head of state isn't even in the city you're occupying

2) Fail to disrupt national communications, let head of state announce he is alive and a coup is underway

3) Had at least some portion of the air force under coup control, yet fail to prevent the head of state from landing in the countries major airport

4) Bomb parliament because reasons

5) Shoot civilians from F16's because reasons

6) Try and take down private news agencies hours after the initial stages of the coup

None of this makes sense.

If this was such a small section of the military, where was the blue on blue fighting? Why have there been zero reports of government controlled military taking down the coup controlled aircrafts that were shooting at government police forces and civilians?

Why did they send such small forces to important media installations, only to instantly lose control and let them go back on air? Why not destroy the stations capability to broadcast if it was so important.

I don't want to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but if you're staging a coup how do you fuck up the two most important things, killing or taking the head of state prisoner and preventing state media from alerting the nation that a coup is underway?

//DEVIL//

You know, there are laws for things like that.

Yes and thats what i am trying to say. Their laws in most arabic countries are mostly always around the quran book

I know. Its shit
What in the absolute fuck? Are you really trying to argue that we as people should just ignore the active abuse of other humans because of their sexuality, race, or choice of religion because it's not respectful in calling them out? I don't support people promoting hate and trying to rid another people because of certain acts of others, but I haven't seen that either, and certainly not in this thread. Simply avoiding that country or whatever you were advocating isn't enough. We should absolutely tell these people they're wrong if they're stoning someone for being gay or speaking out against their governments.

You say it as if i am turkish muslim guy and i am stopping you from talking. By all means go ahead . But watch it going in circles because nothing good will come from that .

Haines

Banned
Some people saying this was a fake but I think that's just people not wanting to believe it would fail

I don't think you just overtake a government in the year 2016 BC you decide to and win with no push back

Philippo

So, the coup turned out as a failure, which will give Erdogan more excuses to modify the constitution to his liking and become even more an absolute leader?

Ffs, i'm glad my mother left the country 2 years ago, but this is still shocking.

sflufan

Banned

2) Fail to disrupt national communications, let head of state announce he is alive and a coup is underway

3) Had at least some portion of the air force under coup control, yet fail to prevent the head of state from landing in the countries major airport

6) Try and take down private news agencies hours after the initial stages of the coup

7) Airlines are online less than 12 hours after a major coup has been attempted

If this was such a small section of the military, where was the blue on blue fighting? Why have there been zero reports of government controlled military taking down the coup controlled aircrafts that were shooting at government police forces and civilians?

Why did they send such small forces to important media installations, only to instantly lose control and let them go back on air? Why not destroy the stations capability to broadcast if it was so important.

I don't want to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but if you're staging a coup how do you fuck up the two most important things, killing or taking the head of state prisoner and preventing state media from alerting the nation that a coup is underway?

This is right down there witn the 1991 Soviet coup and 2002 Venezuelan coup as textbook examples of how not to coup!

Liberty4all

Banned

It does seem suspicious ...

I am confused by all of this. Why stage a coup when he isn't even there?
Erdogan was about to start a purge of Colonel and Major ranked officers in two weeks time, after having recently done the same with the top brass. The officers opposed to Erdogan had to move fast. And once things are set in stone it is hard to change plans especially if you have to maintain strict secrecy. Also Erdogan was in Turkey, he just wasn't where anyone expected him to be.

PopeReal

Erdogan was about to start a purge of Colonel and Major ranked officers in two weeks time, after having recently done the same with the top brass. The officers opposed to Erdogan had to move fast. And once things are set in stone it is hard to change plans especially if you have to maintain strict secrecy. Also Erdogan was in Turkey, he just wasn't where anyone expected him to be.

Thanks. That makes more sense.

MMaRsu

Yes and thats what i am trying to say. Their laws in most arabic countries are mostly always around the quran book

I know. Its shit

You say it as if i am turkish muslim guy and i am stopping you from talking. By all means go ahead . But watch it going in circles because nothing good will come from that .

Ya really good arguments covering his questions. Where are your answers? You are just talking over it like basic human rights dont mean shit.

I guess you glanced over the guy who was shot in the head by a police officer?

Yeah if so, fuck the police officer and I hope he pays for what he did.

Your point still does not stand. They way you portray Turkey is like hell on earth. A place were Erdogan and his thugs silence and kills all opposition, steal public money, and rig all elections.

Turkey is not the place you think it is, no matter how many links you copy and post on the Internet. If it was the way you painted it, then people would be cheering the military and throwing flowers and kisses at them. That's not what the world have witnessed tonight. My respect for the Turkish people is unbelievable for protecting their freedom with just their bare bodies. I am out of this thread. I wish you and your family happy, peaceful days.

Starfield

Yeah if so, fuck the police officer and I hope he pays for what he did.

Your point still does not stand. They way you portray Turkey is like hell on earth. A place were Erdogan and his thugs silence and kills all opposition, steal public money, and rig all elections.

Turkey is not the place you think it is, no matter how many links you copy and post on the Internet. If it was the way you painted it, then people would be cheering the military and throwing flowers and kisses at them. That's not what the world have witnessed tonight. My respect for the Turkish people is unbelievable for protecting their freedom with just their bare bodies. I am out of this thread. I wish you and your family happy, peaceful days.

They certainly gonna get dem freedom now

marrec

Banned
you know Turkish Airlines does daily flights to Mogadishu

and even after the recent terror attacks they resumed flights again

You'd think an attempted overthrow of the government by military forces from the ground and air would warrant more than just a few hours of halted air traffic.

I'm probably reading too much into it though.

Ashes

Banned
Islamist is a descriptor.

It's only functionally a pejorative because of the ideology it espouses.

My point exactly. Plenty of Islamists during the Arab spring and all.

Further, Erdogan has the popular vote in a country where only 12% want shariah law. It complicates things.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah I mean this was either fake or just really hastily and poorly planned. You have to capture or kill Erdogan, nothing else matters if they failed at that and it seems like they didn't even try. Really weird.

1.5) Block bridges and roads when the head of state isn't even in the city you're occupying

While I need to admit this coup was a disaster watching it unfold tonight.. I gotta also admit it's fishy as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom