• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

//DEVIL//

Hateful fucking views don't deserve respect. You're a horrible person.

This is an extremely upsetting mindset.

THIS IS EXACTLY what I am trying to say. Before you jump on me let me tell you that I am not a muslim. I also don't see what is happening there is right. But the minute you see that I dont agree with you or your thinking or beliefs, then all the sudden i am a terrible person. When probably ( an example ony ) they ( muslim people ) think we have 2 horns on top of our head because we are ok if our sisters got a bf that she likes. A woman must be married before she loses her virginty .Somehow we are so wrong. But i don't see them coming here and forcing their beliefs in. Yet somehow we must ?
What in the bloody hell are you talking about?

Are you denying the oppression of women, LGBT, religious and ethnic minorities in Turkey? If so, GTFO.

Did i deny anything man ? Don't jump on me lol

I also don't see what is happening there is right. But the minute you see that I dont agree with you or your thinking or beliefs, then all the sudden i am a terrible person.

Of course you are a terrible person if you want to stone people who dont share your beliefs...

I dont have to respect such an opinion.

This is easily one of the worst coups ever attempted

1) Fail to secure the head of state or kill head of state

1.5) Block bridges and roads when the head of state isn't even in the city you're occupying

2) Fail to disrupt national communications, let head of state announce he is alive and a coup is underway

3) Had at least some portion of the air force under coup control, yet fail to prevent the head of state from landing in the countries major airport

4) Bomb parliament because reasons

5) Shoot civilians from F16's because reasons

6) Try and take down private news agencies hours after the initial stages of the coup

None of this makes sense.

If this was such a small section of the military, where was the blue on blue fighting? Why have there been zero reports of government controlled military taking down the coup controlled aircrafts that were shooting at government police forces and civilians?

Why did they send such small forces to important media installations, only to instantly lose control and let them go back on air? Why not destroy the stations capability to broadcast if it was so important.

I don't want to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but if you're staging a coup how do you fuck up the two most important things, killing or taking the head of state prisoner and preventing state media from alerting the nation that a coup is underway?

Plus Erdogans comments just sound so fishy. Ugh.

For such a self-declared professional and powerful military, this sure was freaking amateur hour all around on how-to-coup and how-to-respond for the military.

And they're the 2nd most powerful army in NATO? Eesh

Jeels

Ya really good arguments covering his questions. Where are your answers? You are just talking over it like basic human rights dont mean shit.

Just noticed your tag, how do I get in on this coalition...

Erdogan has the popular vote in a country where only 12% want shariah law.

FWIW, 12% isn't that big of an amount.

So, the coup turned out as a failure, which will give Erdogan more excuses to modify the constitution to his liking and become even more an absolute leader?

Ffs, i'm glad my mother left the country 2 years ago, but this is still shocking.

O yeah. This is by far the worst case scenario short of a civil war for the opposition.

trembli0s

My point exactly. Plenty of Islamists during the Arab spring and all.

Further, Erdogan has the popular vote in a country where only 12% want shariah law. It complicates things.

http://awdnews.com/top-news/turkey-wants-to-end-modern-ataturk-constitution,-go-back-to-sharia-parliament-speaker

However, the currently ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) apparently wants to get rid of one of the pillars of Kemalism ideology.

“We are a Muslim country and so we should have a religious constitution,” said Turkish Parliament Speaker Ismail Kahraman on Monday, lamenting that the name Allah is not mentioned even once in the country’s founding charter.
“Secularism would not have a place in a new constitution,” he said.

Yeah, I'm going to take a guess at where Turkey will end up in the next few years: Islamic theocratic bullshit.

Hey guys, watching CBC news.... I'm confused as fuck, lots and I mean LOTS of scenes showing a ton of support or erdogan....

I thought this guy was hated by the populace?

Now I'm seeing nato supports the gov't? uS supports the gov't?

Turkey GAF what do?

Jazz573

Hey guys, watching CBC news.... I'm confused as fuck, lots and I mean LOTS of scenes showing a ton of support or erdogan....

Turkey GAF what do?

Well Turkey is a member of NATO. So they can't exactly condemn Erdogan.

marrec

Banned

Turkey GAF what do?

NATO and US support "democratically elected governments" in general but more importantly Turkey is an important military ally in the region especially in the fight against ISIS.

But the US under Obama has been pretty consistent in opposition of military coups, just look to the coup of the democratically elected government in Egypt a few years ago.

ExVicis

What a horrible day for Turkey. I'm sorry Erdogan was bad enough that this had to happen and our still want enough. I fear for Turkey's future but I hope somehow Erdogan is forced out somehow still.

//DEVIL//

Ya really good arguments covering his questions. Where are your answers? You are just talking over it like basic human rights dont mean shit.

To them muslims, i think you are probably right . Simply because their human rights isn't the same as ours probably.

Of course you are a terrible person if you want to stone people who dont share your beliefs...

I dont have to respect such an opinion.

Who the fuck said i want people to get soned ? He was talking about how gay people live like shit in these countries and i actually told him its fucking worst because in most muslim people then punishment of gay is death. What the fuck at least read properly.

Well Turkey is a member of NATO. So they can't exactly condemn Erdogan.

NATO and US support "democratically elected governments" in general but more importantly Turkey is an important military ally in the region especially in the fight against ISIS.

But the US under Obama has been pretty consistent in opposition of military coups, just look to the coup of the democratically elected government in Egypt a few years ago.

God my head hurts

So if germany had accepted his asylum would that have ended the situation since he would have been seen as leaving?

Germany would never accept his asylum.

I mean he first sued a comedian for making fun of him.
When the state legally recognized the Armenian Genocide, he called Germans Nazis.
He retracted his ambassadors from Germany.
He wanted the turkish politicians who voted "yes" to the Armenian Genocide have their blood checked...

Jeels

That was the point being expressed. :)

Ya, sorry, clearly misinterpreted your post there. It's one of the reasons I've always been fascinated by Turkey.

Also, I am pretty sure that one poster was talking about Japan, because Kenshin your GAF profile says your location is Tokyo.

Crisium

So Stratfor wrote this a bit ago, basically agreeing with Erdogan. They think the coup was from some of the remaining Gulenists:

https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/w...witter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article

Starting in 2014, massive purges took place to whittle down Gulenist influence in the media and government.

But the Gulenist influence in the military was not fully purged. This may be because of the large amount of blackmail that the Gulenists retained on major military figures to prevent their own dismissals. In essence, an Islamist faction within the military that has deeply alienated the secular strongmen within the armed forces is the one leading the challenge against Erdogan. In other words, it is not a coup backed by Turkey’s secular political, military and civilian opposition. This is already evidenced by signs of a countercoup led by a number of military commanders and the national police, as well as by the main secular opposition Republican People’s Party leader saying it is against the coup....

....This coup attempt is the product of an Islamist division within the military – and divisions within divisions do not spell success for a coup.

Who the fuck said i want people to get soned ? He was talking about how gay people live like shit in these countries and i actually told him its fucking worst because in most muslim people then punishment of gay is death. What the fuck at least read properly.

You wrote "Who the hell are you to insult the beliefs of others ?"

You are telling everyone here to respect others beliefs however shitty they are. It doesnt have to be death. Why should I not insult the belief if your belief is "Gay people are not humans. Gay people shouldnt have the same rights as hetero ones."?

Ashes

Banned
Yeah, I'm going to take a guess at where Turkey will end up in the next few years: Islamic theocratic bullshit.

Poor Islam.

Aside from that, perhaps you can enlighten the thread on what happened in the time after your article was posted? I mean I know. And I'm guessing you do too.

ISOM

This is easily one of the worst coups ever attempted

1) Fail to secure the head of state or kill head of state

1.5) Block bridges and roads when the head of state isn't even in the city you're occupying

2) Fail to disrupt national communications, let head of state announce he is alive and a coup is underway

3) Had at least some portion of the air force under coup control, yet fail to prevent the head of state from landing in the countries major airport

4) Bomb parliament because reasons

5) Shoot civilians from F16's because reasons

6) Try and take down private news agencies hours after the initial stages of the coup

None of this makes sense.

If this was such a small section of the military, where was the blue on blue fighting? Why have there been zero reports of government controlled military taking down the coup controlled aircrafts that were shooting at government police forces and civilians?

Why did they send such small forces to important media installations, only to instantly lose control and let them go back on air? Why not destroy the stations capability to broadcast if it was so important.

I don't want to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but if you're staging a coup how do you fuck up the two most important things, killing or taking the head of state prisoner and preventing state media from alerting the nation that a coup is underway?

Letting Erdogan getaway is the most perplexing.

//DEVIL//

You wrote "Who the hell are you to insult the beliefs of others ?"

You are telling everyone here to respect others beliefs however shitty they are. It doesnt have to be death. Why should I not insult the belief if your belief is "Gay people are not humans. Gay people shouldnt have the same rights as hetero ones."?

Thats the problem most here are not getting. You and i think its wrong. THEY think its RIGHT and JUSTICE.

Their book. Islamic countries. Their law. Not just the fucking government. The majority of them think the same. What we kill them all because we believe its wrong ?

Kyūjō incident I guess. But that was a movement to stop the emperor surrendering so I'm sure it follows for his point.
There was one hell of a coup attempt in 1930 AFAIR. The Japanese Prime Minister even got stabbed to death by a bunch of officers and Charlie Chaplin (who was visiting the country at the time) almost with him, luckily Chaplin was visiting a Sumo tournament with the PMs son.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
My friend says," I can't stand watching the news anymore, so I'm at the park playing Pokémon Go with my son."

Thats the problem most here are not getting. You and i think its wrong. THEY think its RIGHT and JUSTICE.

Their book. Islamic countries. Their law. Not just the fucking government. The majority of them think the same. What we kill them all because we believe its wrong ?

Who said we need to kill them? People can be educated. 50 years ago people also thought different about gay marriage then now. Hell even 10-15 years ago people thought different than they do now.
In America in the 70s people thought that black people should sit in the back of the bus.

Things can change.

That doesnt mean I have to accept their shitty beliefs.

Jeels

No, what you do is push for reforms where majority muslim countries can exist while respecting and upholding rights for all including their minorities, AKA a secular Turkey, AKA not a Turkey under Erdogan.

trembli0s

Poor Islam.

Aside from that, perhaps you can enlighten the thread on what happened in the time after your article was posted? I mean I know. And I'm guessing you do too.

You had a brief day of protest which doesn't amount to shit. Especially not when a strong arm takes over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom