• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why didn't they get him in custody? That sounds like the logical first step.

Getting to Erdoğan is not easy, the dude is protected by a small army of 1000+ bodyguards at all time. He is paranoid as fuck, tho seeing todays events he kinda is right in that regard.

Alucrid

Banned
The Meiji Restoration

i don't think that's so much as a coup as it is clever political maneuverings. the shogunate was the military government that willingly resigned in deference to the emperor.

To them muslims, i think you are probably right . Simply because their human rights isn't the same as ours probably.

Who the fuck said i want people to get soned ? He was talking about how gay people live like shit in these countries and i actually told him its fucking worst because in most muslim people then punishment of gay is death. What the fuck at least read properly.

you shouldn't really insult other people's ability to understand your posts because they're very poorly written and confusing

antonz

I know this is chaos, but why didn't the coup counter announce for all the Erdogan haters to hit the streets as well?

Not always that easy. Erdogan basically had the Mosques spouting his propaganda since it is in their best interest as he supports giving them more power. On top of that ideologies etc.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm not one for conspiracy theories, in fact I find most conspiracy theory nuts to be fucking intolerable, but something just smells odd about this whole thing.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao the gift that keeps on giving.

It sounds amusing but he still lives and dies with Turkey. He grew up there and misses it. His children speak the language.

He loves his life in the USA too though. Don't bring up Pokemon Go, it illegitimatizes the struggle.

It was a work brother!
2a1.gif

Ever wonder why we still have the second ammendment? Its because we we are brave enough to fight off military tyranny. The Turkish people has done it with just their bodies and with zero weapon.

This is Turkey. They don't have our Bill of Rights. And even if they did have our legal rights, they would be afforded the self evident right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness first and foremost before any amendment.

In other words, not to die by the orders of a dictator.

Acorn

There was one hell of a coup attempt in 1930 AFAIR. The Japanese Prime Minister even got stabbed to death by a bunch of officers and Charlie Chaplin (who was visiting the country at the time) almost with him, luckily Chaplin was visiting a Sumo tournament with the PMs son.
He said late ww2. The only incident close to the end of the war was that.

But thanks I have something to read before bed now.

Cocaloch

i don't think that's so much as a coup as it is clever political maneuverings. the shogunate was the military government that willingly resigned in deference to the emperor.

Coup doesn't have to mean boots in the streets. Large numbers of the military class supported political change with violence as a clear possiblity. It's not like the shogun just decided to put the Emperor in charge because he was bored.

//DEVIL//

Who said we need to kill them? People can be educated. 50 years ago people also thought different about gay marriage then now. Hell even 10-15 years ago people thought different than they do now.
In America in the 70s people thought that black people should sit in the back of the bus.

Things can change.

That doesnt mean I have to accept their shitty beliefs.

No, what you do is push for reforms where majority muslim countries can exist while respecting and upholding rights for all including their minorities, AKA a secular Turkey, AKA not a Turkey under Erdogan.

Then I am of those guys who doesn't believe they will change. Because I think thats in their book and to be a muslim you must believe and do all what is in the book.

Am I wrong ? Maybe. Maybe not. All i know that if i am gay. I will not fly over any of those countries even

Azzanadra

Getting to Erdoğan is not easy, the dude is protected by a small army of 1000+ bodyguards at all time. He is paranoid as fuck, tho seeing todays events he kinda is right in that regard.

Well he's been acting like a religious fanatic and dictator, he should feel fear in a country that prides in its democracy and secularism.

Right, but unless you consider the American occupation to be the founding of modern Japan it was still created by a coup.

I really have no idea what you are talking about (the Meiji Restoration?) but regardless Japan went from a non democratic government to a democratic one post WW2 and has stayed that way ever since. The time the military did take over the government turned out a disaster.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not always that easy. Erdogan basically had the Mosques spouting his propaganda since it is in their best interest as he supports giving them more power.

Nobody wants a coup in Turkey. Doesn't matter what ideology one has, Turks are allergic to coups because of past experiences. When this happened it got denounced by pretty much everybody in the country.

pestul

Are we sure that didn't happen?

We don't know how many citizens on the street were either Pro-Erdogan or Pro-Coup.
Yeah I was thinking that they might have been present too. I guess losing control of the media was a big problem. I think pro Erdogan were hitting the streets regardless of his FaceTime video call to action.

Jeels

Then I am of those guys who doesn't believe they will change. Because I think thats in their book and to be a muslim you must believe and do all what is in the book.

Am I wrong ? Maybe. Maybe not. All i know that if i am gay. I will not fly over any of those countries even

I really can't deal with your posts anymore but I'll leave you with this tidbit - look at how much societies have either progressed, regressed, or changed in general in the span of 100 years. Change does and will come at some point, it's just a matter of if it's in the right direction. You have to believe that if there are enough strong voices with good intentions speaking out for the right thing, and political leaders able to execute on those voices, that good things happen.

//DEVIL//

you shouldn't really insult other people's ability to understand your posts because they're very poorly written and confusing

Very late in the morning . English isn't my main language (French Canadian) and I can't see shit but I did read what i typed before and I don't see any confusion about it. Maybe badly written but not wrong or not understandable .

Anyways I am off to bed

orochi91

You're pretty wrong, especially about Turkey; the existence of secular, liberal, moderate, and even LGBT Muslims, torpedoes your notion of what a Muslim can or can not be.

The best part during ACT 3 was when the mosques synchronously around Turkey called for the people the go outside and protest.

The mosques.

4AM.

Out of nowhere.

Ok.

Acorn

What? The change in Turkey is from secularism to Islamist state NOT from Islamist to secular.

Is this a joke? I can't tell with this thread.

Why would this be a joke? Military is making a coup, an action to take Erdogan out of power before he replaces a good portion of them.

Why would a head of state trust and allow military officers who waited out the coup to see how it played out? Nobody is neutral in a coup, at some point people have to take sides.

And what about the people in those countries who are gay who can't leave? What about those in those countries being oppressed and threatened with death with no way out? What about the Muslims who want to change some of the extreme stances within their book for the betterment of their religion and people? Are they just supposed to deal with it and suffer? For fuck's sake man, you're literally advocating for everyone to stick their head in the sand when it comes to the abuse of human rights. There are plenty of Muslim's who don't agree with everything in Quran and advocate for change within it. Are they just supposed to sit back and watch this abuse happen?

jstripes

Banned
Well, that was something.

By something, I mean a genuine attempt to fix the country.

But, a terribly miscalculated one.

I feel terrible for everyone involved. :/

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
CNN is saying Turkish media reporting 42 dead in the Ankara attacks.

did you hear about Fajr time

morning prayers start around 4am

You don't know what fajr prayers are do you?

Joke post?

The joke is that when it doesn't fit Erdogan's agenda the street protestors get shot or tear gassed, but when it does fit his agenda he calls his buddies inside the mosque to relay his message. The mosques I knew of when I lived in Turkey never interfered with state affairs, as sad as it is that is no longer the case.

Thank fuck I left the country, I could never live in a country where Islamists are in majority corrupt power.

Quirah

Arrested soldier's video in Turkish: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ket20

Basically he says that they told them there will be a military education like usual so they took ammo's and gone with tanks.

Yes there are millions of people that doesn't wants Erdogan to even breathe but this coup is different. It is not related with any politics or Islamic groups or military. Thanks to God Central Istanbul is quiet for now. That was really nightmare that I will not forget till I die. Tho there are still reports some militaries took civil hostages in outer side of Istanbul.

Jeels

The joke is that when it doesn't fit Erdogan's agenda the street protestors get shot or tear gassed, but when it does fit his agenda he calls his buddies inside the mosque to relay his message. The mosques I knew of when I lived in Turkey never interfered with state affairs, as sad as it is that is no longer the case.

Thank fuck I left the country, I could never live in a country where Islamists are in majority corrupt power.

Ya, it's one thing when the Mosques are doing their job announcing the morning prayers. It's another thing when they are actively getting involved in politics and telling people to go support a certain political leader and into harm's way.

Where do you live now?

orochi91

Basically he says that they told them there will be a military education like usual so they took ammo's and gone with tanks.

Yes there are millions of people that doesn't wants Erdogan to even breathe but this coup is different. It is not related with any politics or Islamic groups or military. Thanks to God Central Istanbul is quiet for now. That was really nightmare that I will not forget till I die. Tho there are still reports some militaries took civil hostages in outer side of Istanbul.

It kind of sounds like some junior guys took matters into their hands and started the coup, irrespective of their commanding officers.

Crisium

You mean the soldiers were told it was going to be a military exercise? Is that what you mean by military education?

trembli0s

Notice how there's barely any (if any at all) women on the streets protesting?

This was the first thing I noticed. Not at all surprised because of who was calling who out to protest.

I expect they won't be coming out for public events in the future either with increased religious trends.

Notice how there's barely any (if any at all) women on the streets protesting?

OMG were you literally blind during the periscope videos

there was even one women doing leading Takbir

enough of these straw man arguments... seriously you need some rest
Yes literally.

By the way, things are still going on in Bosphorus side.
https://www.periscope.tv/Isocializm/1nAKEbvYkQXGL

how about that Soldier on the Bridge saying it is a coup early on in the thread?

This was the first thing I noticed. Not at all surprised because of who was calling who out to protest.

I expect they won't be coming out for public events in the future either with increased religious trends.

Exactly.

But the Islamists won't even discuss or debate this. It just happens in the background and becomes accepted over the years and then, voila, "new Turkey".

It's shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom